incisional hernia and umbilical hernia with adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incisional hernia  and umbilical hernia with adhesions incisional hernia and umbilical hernia with adhesions

Unread 10-09-2003, 03:24 AM
incisional hernia and umbilical hernia with adhesions

good morning, has been a long time since i have been here, 6 months post-op, complete abdominal hysterectomy. Saw my Gyn last week, said i have an umbilical hernia and an incisional hernia with adhesions. am seeing the surgeon tomorrow! has anyone had this problem and if so, did they do the surgery with laproscopy or is it a big time surgery. am so scared, the thought of going back in the hospital is almost more than i can think about. If it didn't hurt so badly i would ignore it. but am back to taking the pain medication i did before the hysterectomy. thanks for your help, have a good day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Hernia

So sorry, Patty, to hear about your hernia. I am 16 days post op from my hernia repair. I had just an incisional hernia, but it was also in the belly-button area. I was quite uncomfortable before the repair, and now I am feeling fine. I had the repair done as a day surgery, using local anesthetic with sedation. I didn't feel a thing, and was quite with it right after the surgery. A lot easier than waking up from general. Since I have trouble with morphine, I just used ibuprophen for post-op pain....and was comfortable. The first and 2nd day were easy, but the 3rd and 4th were not. I was surprised at how immobile I was.......more so that after the hyst, but I recovered much quicker. I kept thinking I should be up and moving around, but I actually felt better if I laid in bed and didn't move at all. I also took stool softeners so I wouldn't have to strain to have a bm. By day seven post op, I was up, making dinner, walking to the neighbors, and able to sleep on my side(that makes all the difference to me) and just had a little soreness when bending over. I went back to work at 12 days post op and did fine doing half days. My 2 week post op visit was yesterday, I am feeling good, incision looks good, I still have a little swelling around my belly-button. My doc told me to give it another 2 weeks of being cautious and not overdoing.
Hope this helps....let me know if I can answer any more questions.
Molly
Unread 10-10-2003, 06:29 PM

Hi,

I had a large ventral hernia repaired in February. As my doctor said, it wasn't MAJOR major surgery because they don't need to go inside the abdominal cavity. I found it much easier than the hysterectomy. I was in the hospital for a few days, with an epidural for pain control. That was heaven!! I did take pain pills for awhile after but was up and around for longer sooner than the first surgery. However, it wasn't a picnic and the recovery time was about the same. But I felt soooo much better than I did before!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2003, 02:19 AM
hernia, umbilical and incision

flossboss, thanks so much for getting back to me. had an appointment with the surgeon yesterday, he cancelled on me. so all the questions i had compiled have gone unanswered. guess my biggest one is can they do this with a lap or do i need major incision? have had 2 c-sections, 5 laps and total hysterectomy. had severe endo and am afaid it is back. anyway, thanks for your help, you were sweet to get back to me
Unread 10-11-2003, 03:23 PM
lap

Bummer, Patty, for being cancelled. I don't know if it can be done laprascopically....depends on how much needs to be repaired. My doc used the same incision as my hyst.....only the top 3-4 inches though, and then added an inch above. Sorry I can't answer.
Let me know what he says.
Molly
Unread 10-11-2003, 05:20 PM

Hi Patty

Please keep us posted. I sure can relate to your problems.

I am going through somewhat of the same. I will be meeting with my surgeon on the 30th to discuss a large ventral hernia repair, dertemine the colon damage due to diverticulitis, and adhesions. I am 6 months postop, (TAH/Bladder sling), and it has been downhill ever since.

I have been through 4 doctors since the hysterectomy to finally find out what is wrong with me and to treat me properly. After many antibiotics and alot of pain, I am finally feeling better. I am however, very nervous and apprehensive about going through another surgery.

If I can help any way, please let me know.

Carol

TAH/Bladder Sling, 4-16-2003
Unread 10-12-2003, 12:27 AM

I am so sorry your having so many complications..

I just had my 2nd umbilical repair. The first was a piece of cake since it was done during a lap for adhesion removal. He only used stitches to close the hernia. WELL, a month later, still waiting for my repair surgery I reopened my hernia. It basically protruded throughout my whole belly button and I looked like I had a mini egg in it. Mind you, I have had ALOT of laps and had already had one repair so it was very weak!!

I went in for my repair surgery and he repaired it again. This time using mesh and making a 3 inch incision across my navel area. I DID get an infection in ALL of my incisions, including my vaginal cuts and I think that slowed the healing process some.

It is now 2 months later and I have a very hard time having BM's still and also sometimes just get the OCD kicking in and have to clean. I am now having burning pulling pains on the left side of the repair (NOT in my navel, but about an inch to the left) I will be calling him to make sure it is OK and will just heal, but with my track record WHO KNOWS!! I have a 6 inch lower pelvic incision I feel a lump in so I will be haing them look at that a well.

Good luck with your hernia repair and if I can help in any way feel free to PM me!!

HUGS sweetie!
Unread 10-12-2003, 04:45 AM
thanks

good morning! i can't thank all of you enough for your words of kindness and experience in all the hernia repair jungle!!! it is nice to get some information. sometimes the not knowing is the worst. will keep you all posted, and hope you all are feeling better, i almost feel like a sissy when i hear all that you are going through. have a good day!!!
Unread 10-13-2003, 11:20 AM

The first of my three surgeries this summer was for an umbilical/incisional hernia, from a surgery two years ago. They thought they could do it LAP, but when they got in there, there were four other smaller hernias(he said my abdomen looked like swiss cheese. )Had to open me up 6 inches, put in some mesh.. four day hospital stay. I should have known it was a bad sign. Had a D/C the same day, ended up with hyster three weeks later. But, the recovery wasn't bad. I felt pretty good in a week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register