Cysts 18 years post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cysts 18 years post op Cysts 18 years post op

Unread 10-10-2003, 04:16 AM
Cysts 18 years post op

Wow, what a neat site, glad I found you all.
I had a hyst 18 years ago when I was 26. They left my right ovary though it seems they said they only left part of it. I have had no complications or pain and always felt it was the best thing I ever did considering all the problems I had b4.
3 weeks ago I started having stomach pain, gas, and could not eat more than a few bites until I felt like I had stuffed myself. 2 weeks ago I started having liquid diarea 4 to 6 hours after I would eat what little food I could get down. Last week I gained 7 pounds even though I am lucky if I eat half a baked potato in one day. Now I am back to my normal being constipated but I still can't eat or drink much.
Finally I went to the ER and they did the test for diverticulitis but it was negative but the cat scan did show cysts. Today I went for the ultrasound and the tech told me there are a "series of cysts" on my right ovary.
The pain is driving me crazy, my stomach looks like I swallowed a watermelon and eating or drinking anything is misery.
Everything I have read makes it sound like this should not be happening. I don't think I ovulate, actually when the doc asked me if I still had an ovary I didn't even remember that I did or I just guessed it had dried up and blown away from lack of use.
I realize from reading the posts on here I never educated myself about my hyst like I should have. Of course we didnt have the Internet back then and since I was just so relieved to have the pain and problems gone I actually don't know a lot about what they did do to me. I am high risk for breast cancer and from what I am reading also high risk for ovarian cancer.
Has anyone else experienced cysts so long after surgery? I see the doc on Mon. and he has just got to do something about this pain.
thanks for being here and listening.
Huggles,
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Cysts 18 years post op

Hi (((Deb)))) and welcome to Hyster Sisters I'm so happy you found us, though sorry that it's because you're having all of these problems

I had my hyst almost 3 years ago and kept my ovaries. Being close to 50 (I turned 47 in September) I too figured that I was going into menopause. However, recent blood tests not only showed that I wasn't menopausal, but wasn't even in perimenopause

Research regarding the odds of ovarian failure after a hysterectomy seems to be very contradictory. However, the most consistent information on the issue that I've found is to the effect that about 50% of women experience temporary ovarian failure after a hysterectomy, but that only a very small percentage experience permanent ovarian failure. I've also read that, after a hysterectomy, we are likely to head into menopause about 5 years earlier than we normally would. For most of us, that would mean going into menopause in our late 40's or early 50's rather than in our mid-50's.

I'm glad that you went to the ER and are having these issues addressed. Cysts can be very troublesome and should not be ignored. Hopefully, someone will come around soon with experience with post-hyst ovarian cysts.

Sending lots of s your way. Please keep us posted.
Unread 10-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Cysts 18 years post op

Hi Dany,
Thanks for the response, actually you got me thinking. I had blood work done a few years ago because I went on a crying jag and we thought it might be menapause. Turned out to be thyroid and I am sure they said my hormone levels were normal so I probably am doing some ovulating still.

I know this pain is about to drive me crazy so I am hoping the doc just decides to take the ovary out, I don't have time to hurt like this. I do remember from the good old days having cysts and seems like the docs always just said give it time it will go away. I had forgotten how bad they can hurt.

I suppose I have been very blessed to go all this time since my surgery without any problems in that area.

Huggles and I will let you know what the doc says on Mon.
Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register