Tvh/bso Back To Work When?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tvh/bso Back To Work When?? Tvh/bso Back To Work When??

Unread 10-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Tvh/bso Back To Work When??

Now after reading and reading, I see that I was possibly TOOOO
optimistic about returning to work on Nov. 17th and my surgery is scheduled for 11-04. I am no spring chick but in fairly good shape and also I am divorcing so I do not have help at home. Several friends are going to help me and I am planning to stay in the hospital for at least 3 nights. Could I please have others experience on this so I can be more mentally prepared. Being independent and doing everything for yourself is not always a good thing. Maybe I need a white flag...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2003, 05:25 PM
reply to: TVH BSO Back to Work When?

Wow If you are able to do that YOU are great!!! I had TVH,BSO, anterior and posterior repair, vag. tape and suprapubic cath insert on 8-29-03 and had my 6 wk check up on 10-09-03. My gyn was happy how my surgery healed, but I still get exhausted. He suggested starting back to work part time and work up to my former schedule. He let me know at 6 wks post surgery you are 50% of your former self, 6 mos post surgery you are up to 80% and at 1 year post surgery you should be at 90%, but we never return to 100% of our former selves as doctors cannot duplicate what the good Lord makes. I rode in the car for a 2 hour ride and attended a baby shower at my sisters house and SAT there for 3 hours, when I got home I dropped into bed and fell fast asleep. I was EXHAUSTED, I start back to work and keep wondering how I will do my job coz I work in a doctors office and I am on my feet somedays up to 10 hours. Hugs and prayers to you.
Unread 10-12-2003, 06:00 PM

Three nights in the hospital? They sent me home the next day. I'm not sure which is worse. Going home and resting without the nurses checking up on you or going home without someone to check up on you.
Can you make your comeback more flexible? Like 1/2 days or something.
I was running around to the store, picking up the child at school and doing mild exercise at three weeks post from a TVH. However, I was still getting tired through the day and not doing things as fast as before. AND that is with very little complications.
Hopefully, you will have the best recovery ever, but everyone is individual with a hyster. You can't really know until you are there.
Hope everything works out well.
Tam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2003, 06:14 PM

Hi Karol Ann,

The usual recommended recovery from a TVH is 4 to 6 weeks. I think you were being a bit optimistic thinking you could go back sooner.

Keep in mind that you're having major surgery and you'll have hundreds of internal sutures that need to heal, so you want to make sure you allow yourself the time you need. You only get one chance to heal properly and this is it. It's better to err on the side of caution than to try to take additional time off from work if you go back to soon. (Once you show up everyone thinks you're well again.)

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 10-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Sinking In

Thanks for everyone's input and I am starting to realize that I must have been in fantasyland. So glad I bumped into this website in a book that I was reading about fibroids. It's a small miracle I do believe. Others are supportive but it is not the same as communicating with those that have been through this more recently or about to go through the surgery. Not that I want to blow this out of proportion but as you can read it had gone the other direction.
Unread 10-12-2003, 08:52 PM

Although I'm on information overload, it certainly is helpful to hear from those of you who have 'been there and done that.' Thank you for the kind advice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register