Constipation after surgery. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation after surgery. Constipation after surgery.

Unread 10-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Constipation after surgery.

Hello. I had surgery last Tuesday (the 7th of October) in which I had my right ovary removed and two ovarian cyst. I have been taken Oxycodone (pain killers) and 800 MG Motrin. Since my surgery, I have not had to poop (sorry for TMI). Is there something wrong with me? Is this normal because of the medicine I'm taking?

I took a dosage of Benefiber more than 2 hours ago, and it has yet to work. When exactly does Benefiber start to work, is it like a over night thing? Someone please help, I'm freaking out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2003, 09:17 PM

Are you eating??? you need stuff going in before it will come out - hehe. Make sure you drink plenty of water, get up and walk a bit. I have a bowl of extra high fiber cereal every morning, tastes like paper but sure does the trick, oh yeah and a cup of hot coffee. If still nothing check with the Dr, mine told me I'd need a suppository if things didn't move on their own. Thank goodness they did.

I'm not sure about the benefiber but i would think you would need to give it overnight. Yes the pain meds can keep you from going
Unread 10-12-2003, 09:20 PM

Veronica, Don't freak out hun! The Benefiber should work by the morning. It usually works in about 8 hours or so for me. Have you been taking short walks, drinking plenty of fluids or tried stool softeners? Have you been passing gas or feel like you "have" to go? Try and relax and see what happens.....if you are very uncomfortable, I would check with your doctor tomorrow. He may give you some good suggestions. Good luck to you!

Emily {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2003, 09:23 PM

Yes. I have eaten almost 3 meals a day since Wednesday (the day after my surgery). The night before my surgery I was told to use an enema. Could this be why? I'm so very confused, I'm only 16 years old and no one my age seems to understand when I ask them questions.

I will try eating cereal tomorrow for breakfast and POSSIBLY drink some coffee.. even if I may be bouncing off the walls.. ;-)..

Best Wishes!
Unread 10-12-2003, 10:23 PM

I had some cold prune juice followed by a cup of hot tea when I was worried about going to the bathroom. I also nibbled on a few prunes a couple times a day.

s
Cat
Unread 10-12-2003, 10:50 PM

HI!
from what I've read on here, a week to 10 days without a BM happens when you had an enema before surgery and then a liquid diet for several days after and also most painkillers will cause constipation. If you are having pain because of it, I would ask your DR if you can use a Fleet enema for immediate relief. I use liquid Philips Milk of Magnesia every night to keep me regular while I'm recovering from my operation. I also and
Unread 10-13-2003, 01:09 AM

Hi,

Not to worry Sis.. It is completely common to not go for awhile after your hyster w/ the pain meds. I did the same thing. But I didn't wait and call my Dr. and drank prune juice. I won't go into detail, justify it to say that I haven't hurt that bad ever. Dr. said that a fiber lax like your Benefiber is much easier on your gut. (Prune juice is something to be taken a bit later than a week after surgery). Also coffee, decaff or caff will work well w/ the fiber.

You did the right thing so close to your surgery. Hang in there, you are on the right track girl.

Much Love,
AnnieWoof
Unread 10-13-2003, 05:13 AM

First let me say I am so sorry you have to go through any of this so young. But we're all here for you.

As for the BM question, very common. First a word of caution that I wish I'd paid more attention to (would have saved me another castle stay). Do not strain or push - my dr said, sit on the toilet for 2 minutes, if nothing happens get up and try again later. You are very early in the recovery and our poor bowels shrivel up, like a turtle, when they're touched (like during surgery) and take a while to be brave enough to come out like they should. If your abdomen is grossly swollen and rock hard, you should call your doctor just to be sure you don't have an obstruction. I was told to take a stool softener every night so that when the BM finally did show up, it wasn't rock hard.

A diet with fiber and prunes also helps. But try not to stress out about it. I spent weeks wishing for a BM (so everyone would quit asking me about it ) and now that they're here I really wish they'd slow down again (just can't be happy it seems, geesh, lol)

Good luck, and if you have any questions call your dr. He/she knows you best and should help you find out what may work for you.

We're all here for you, and the great thing is we're open 24 hours a day. There's enough different timezones that someone from the 3am club is always around.
Unread 10-13-2003, 07:42 AM

Wow that's a lot to go through at 16, having your ovary removed. Good luck in your recovery! Anyway, my dr. gave me a prescription of Colace, just a stool softener, it works really well so you might try that.
Unread 10-13-2003, 08:27 AM

Cuterebelme.......so young to have gone through this, my heart reaches out to you.

Try using Milk of Magnesia (MOM's), as I resisted this and took Ducolax instead and wound up constipated beyond reasoning. My belly was so swollen and I was miserable. After my post-op visit with the DR, I tried the MOM's and it worked just fine. Though I detested spending from 8 am to noon time in the bathroom. It took about a week of this before I became regular again and got off the MOM's. I now take a Citrucel Fiber tablet each morning to help things along. Straining is bad for the insides with BM's, as I was told by the DR.

I was also told to get off the pain meds as soon as possible, as they make you constipated. Any type of opiates will do this, especially OxyContin, Oxycodeine, etc. So I stopped the pain meds and things did improve after that.

Hope your situation eases for you and if anything, call your doctor and get his advice. At this tender age, you need to be looked after especially well, as you don't have some of the experience us ahemmmmmmmm, older ladies do . It is no wonder friends your own age group do not understand. So instead you have US all here who can help you through this maze.

and take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register