C-section Vs Hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

C-section Vs Hyst C-section Vs Hyst

Unread 10-13-2003, 10:57 AM
C-section Vs Hyst

Hello...

It seems to me that women who have had a C-Section are moving around and feeling better sooner than those who have had a hysterectomy. Is that really the case? Anyone out there who had both...and can you tell me the difference in recovery (if any). I'm just feeling like a total wimp right now at 12 days post op and it's depressing

Thanks!
Karin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2003, 11:11 AM
C-section Vs Hyst

Karin, I had 2 vertical c-sections in 1979 and 1982. By the end of 2 weeks in was back in my jeans and moving around well. Took care of both my babies by myself. With the hysterectomy, I have been more of a baby! There has been alot more pain and mobility is an issue. I realize I'm older now but I still think it is a tougher surgery at least for me. I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and will be off for 8 weeks. I never thought I would need that much time, but now realize I will need it all. And the swelly belly *****. I don't think I'll ever be able to get into anything that doesn't have full elastic in it again! Hope this helps to know you are not alone. Brenda
Unread 10-13-2003, 11:16 AM
C-section Vs Hyst

I had 2 bikini cut c-sections and a bikini cut SAH/BSO. I find it's slower healing from the hyster. The aches and ouchies of healing are a "deeper" pain than the c-section, nothing unbearable, but definitely harder to recover from. The one benefit is only needing to care for me, instead of a baby and me.

One thing I'd read which makes sense is: With a c-section, you have things cut and sewn together again. With a hyster, you actually have organs removed. Two entirely different surgeries, in reality.

s and good healing,
Cat

PS. at 12 days, you're early in recovery. You should start feeling better before too long...but keep following those princess rules of resting, drinking lots of water and taking walks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2003, 11:25 AM
C-section Vs Hyst

I've had 2 C/Sections and they are definately different from the Hysterectomy ...

I went into the hyst thinking it would be like a C/section but I was completely and utterly wrong. A C/Section is a lot easier .... with the hyst they are taking most of your organs out and rearranging bits and fixing if that is required .. A C/Section is 2 cuts .. baby out .. sewn up .. all done in 20 mins .. my hyst took 4 hours !
Unread 10-13-2003, 11:28 AM
c-section and Hysto

Hi InHishands
I had a c-section 21 years ago and a tah on Aug 22nd, There is no comparison between the two. Except the outer incision, The Hysto is a whole lot different. The pain and healing are not even close to having a Hysto. You have to take in concideration that removeing a baby, they don't have to move allot of the organs. As to the Hysto they are cutting away and removeing them. It takes allot longer to heal from a Hysto then it did my c-section. I was up the following day, walking around, washing my hair ect after the c-section .. This one I was down longer.
Enjoli

~*Mary B*~
Unread 10-13-2003, 11:35 AM
csection vs hysterectomy

Hi I am 12 days post op for a TAH. I had 2 csections in 92 and 97 both bikini cut. My first section was a difficult recovery---ileus and a terrible infection. Second one was easier. my cut for the hyst was in the same place. Stayed in the castle for 2 nights compared to 5 nights each for the 2 deliveries. I have found this recovery so far to be quite easy.
I was up walking a few hours after the surgery and took a shower the next day.
I still feel bruised and achy inside but my incision is looking great.

I expected this recovery to be tougher than the sections but so far it has been alot easier than I expected. I am about 50 lbs overweight too so I was really expecting a tough recovery. I would say it has been comparable to my second section.

I am 38 and had the surgery for stage 3 endometriosis.

Take care ----kangaa
Unread 10-13-2003, 12:09 PM
C-section Vs Hyst

Hiya,

I too have had previous, uneventful C-Sections (3 of them). It seemed identical in every aspect to me but one. ( And I do count myself blessed in that respect.) The one difference that I have noticed, being 13 days post and recovering, is the neverending belly ache that was certainly not there w/ the C's.

I pray for you a better and more speedy recovery. And someday, no belly ache! Owie!

Much Love, Many Prayers,
AnnieWoof
Unread 10-13-2003, 12:52 PM
C-section Vs Hyst

I know you want to know, but until you've been there, you will get all kinds of answers and most of them different. My TAH/BSO was pud compared to the c section I had in '94. Everyone's different!!
Unread 10-13-2003, 01:03 PM
C-section Vs Hyst

Thank you so much everyone...I felt like a huge wimp, wondering why the women I've seen going through C-Sections seemed better so much sooner!
I've been feeling very depressed...it's only been 12 days and I feel like it's never ending. I want so badly to get back to my normal routing. I am used to being on my treadmill for 30 minutes, 3 - 4 days per week and this inactivity is causing depression. I had been feeling pretty good about being able to take care of myself (nothing major, just getting my own food and drinks, etc) and went out with everyone for a quick fast food meal on Saturday, only to be in pain later that day. I spent all of Sunday in bed and I feel like a prisoner. I'm supposed to go back to work (it's only p/t) 4 1/2 weeks post op and with the slow recovery that's taking place I just can't imagine it. Whew, I sure didn't mean to do all that venting...sorry!
Anyway, I very much appreciate your answering my post.

Karin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register