To write..or not to write. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To write..or not to write. To write..or not to write.

Unread 10-14-2003, 12:30 PM
To write..or not to write.

Ok first let me say that I am a very positive person and I expect to come thru this just fine...but just incase.... I was thinking of writing my hubby and 3 boys letters to so they would know how very much I loved them. Good or Bad Idea??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2003, 12:38 PM

I would do it as long as they are letters you give them well in advance of surgery (not "keep these to read in case something bad happens").

My mom has been facing a very bad cancer this year and I have spent a LOT of time letting her and my dad know how much I love them (BEFORE things get bad).

We need to make sure we share the love we have with those we care about before bad things happen!
Unread 10-14-2003, 12:44 PM

I debated this same issue in regards to my son, and decided to not write. IF and I'm confident that that's a BIG IF, anything should happen to me, I wouldn't want him to think that I ever thought of it. I would want him to believe that I did what I believed to be the right thing for me and that I never doubted the outcome. Am I scared? Yes. Does he know it? No. He knows I'm scared about the pain afterwards but if he thought I had any doubt that I would survive, he might feel I took any unnecessary chance. Does that make sense? I feel as wacky and out of sorts today. Only 6 more days!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2003, 01:10 PM

Hi

That's a tough one..... to write or not.... I always thought it would be nice to write... but then again.... if they did read it.. that means you're gone right? And that would be TERRIBLE!!! And I would feel guilty even thinking they would need to read it... because if I honestly thought I would die, I would suffer the rest of my life without surgery.....

I just let my loved ones know every every day how much they mean to me and how much I love them.... and they know... and if something ever did happen (not necessarily with surgery) but someday.... they will always know how much I loved them and always will...

I'm 10 days to go... I hear ya about the losing it part... this probably didn't even make any sense....

Oni
Unread 10-14-2003, 01:22 PM

I wrote in my journal a list of things that I wanted to tell my son. it was about 3 pages long. simple things like "I hope you get to travel a lot" and complicated things like my spiritual beliefs, and stuff like that. I wrote this before I knew I was having the surgery. one day when he fell asleep in my arms after breastfeeding him, I had this flood of emotions and ideas, and I thought, "I'd better write these down". I felt so much better after I did. I'm not sure if I did die suddenly in a car accident or something that anyone would go through my journals, but maybe they would. I feel that everything happens the way it's meant to. maybe one day when he really needed me to be at his side, he'd happen to open that journal and read those pages.
Unread 10-15-2003, 06:08 AM

Great minds think alike ....

I had dreams and daydreams about this whole thing ... I dreamt I was on my death bed then dreamt that I wrote my DS and DH a letter saying how much I loved them. Then real life took over .. I kiss and hug them both everyday .. They Know how much I love them!!

Consequently I didn't right a letter .... but these thoughts must be a compulsive requirement prior to surgery ... did you see it on your pre op consent form !!!!
Unread 10-15-2003, 10:10 PM

DH and I actually made a will before my gall bladder surgery (10 weeks before my hyst). Since we have no kids, it wasn't to give monatary compensation, but to express my wishes if I could not. DH did the same for me at the same time. For my castle visit, I left him little love notes in places he wouldn't look every day, and he said it was fun finding them while he was alone in the house. I also went to an electronic greeting card site to send greeting cards to him in future dates. I could pre set the date for a week in advance. This is really no diffrent than what we do now, he just noticed it more when I wasn't at the house with him.
Unread 10-16-2003, 07:53 AM

leaving little notes--that's sweet :)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register