what is a prolapsed uterus???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what is a prolapsed uterus???? what is a prolapsed uterus????

Unread 10-14-2003, 02:28 PM
what is a prolapsed uterus????

what is a prolapsed uterus? I am having my hysterectomy due to fibroids and very painful periods. I have been on Depoprovera for a year and a half now and I haven't had a period since....thank goodness....

Anyways, everynow and then it feels like my uterus has fallen down into my vagina, like almost an inch away from falling out...it lasts for a day or two and then seems to go back up where it belongs.... I never think of it when I see my GYN/OB, so I haven't mentioned it to her...should I tell her before my surgery? Does she have to do anything different? I am having a LAVH?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2003, 02:46 PM

HI! here are some pretty graphic pics from pelvic floor.com, but beware! not for the squeamish! http://www.pelvicfloor.com/library/library.html click on the prolapse pics, they show uterine and bladder. My DR said that prolapses make for easier vaginal removal operations like LAVH. Good Luck and ask all the questions you need to before the op. take care and 's
Unread 10-14-2003, 03:03 PM

think of a prolapse as a vaginal hernia--when the uterus, bladder, rectum, and/or urethra fall down into the vagina due to lack of pelvic floor support...i'm surprised that your GYN didnt notice the prolapse, if you do indeed have one..the symptom you describe, the falling out feeling youre experiencing, is the number one sign of prolapse.....be sure to bring this up at your next appt..the vaginal vault can be tightened up during surgery to help prevent future prolapse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2003, 12:29 AM

Hi, I have severe uterine prolapse which I discovered firstly because I could not keep tampons in. I thought perhaps this is something which happens to all women following childbirth but soon discovered it is due to the uterus falling down so far. My cervix is now outside my vagina for most of the month (it is affected by monthly cycle).
As you are scheduled for a hyst anyway, the problem will be resolved but I think you should mention it anyway as they may do a vaginal reapir of some sort.
Best wishes
Cheryl
Unread 10-15-2003, 07:06 AM

I had my surgery for that reason alone! Do tell you gyn about it though, they can tighten things up in there so other things (like bladder & rectum) don't prolapse as well.
Unread 10-15-2003, 11:47 AM

I too had uterine prolapse. There it was right at the "door" so to speak. My first symptom was having tampons feel less than comfortable, and then actually falling out when they were "soaked" and needed changing. A conveniant way to tell you need a new tampon, but rather uncomfy.

Am no doc, so the following is what I have studied:

Uterine prolapse is due to one if not several factors working in synchrony.

1. Uterus is overly large, heavy for extended periods of time (i.e. two or more full term pregancies; large fibroids/tumors) and the ligaments & tissues holding it and ovaries in place get stretched out like an overused piece of elastic on your most fav panties....

2. The supportive muscles of all the pelvic contents known as the pelvic "floor" become "tired" and or out of condition for a number of reasons. This is caused by repeated pregnancies, being OVERweight, the structures (ligaments and internal tissues) supporting pelvic organs (bladder, uterus, ovaries,bladder and vagina) become overstretched (see 1.) OR the repeated and extensive straining (pushing) during serious "issues" with constipation AND reapeated childbirth causes the muscles to become over used.

3. Some say repeated jogging during times when the uterus is enlarged - such as pregnancy and just before the period contributes to this stretching and later in life condition. (Every time I see an obviously pregnant woman jog, I cringe...knowing the anatomy of women...)

With as much uterine prolapse as I see, it is a wonder women who are pregnant haven't been WARNED they are in jeopardy of overstretching uterine support structures. The only exercise I would recommend, other than stretching and Yoga for pregnant women and exercises which don't create gravity driven load on the uterine supports - like Kegals.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register