uterus size... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uterus size... uterus size...

Unread 10-15-2003, 05:43 PM
uterus size...

Hello! I was just curious about the weight a uterus.
I just had my 2 week appt. and Dr. told me that me uterus was 150 grams, almost twice the size of a normal uterus. (Normal size being 80 grams, he said)
So, I have tried to find some more information, and haven't been able to find anything as of yet. I am unaware of what the technical term could be for this.
Has anyone found any good sites/web pages on this?
TIA!
Charlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2003, 06:07 PM
uterus size...

Hi Charlene,

Quoting from a book called "Fibroids: The Complete Guide to Taking Charge of Your Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Well-Being' by Johanna Skilling: "The average uterus is 2 to 4 inches long, 1.5 to 2.5 inches wide and 1 inch thick; it weighs about one-sixth of a pound or 50 grams ... If you've ever been pregnant, your uterus may be on the larger end of those dimensions."

Mine was 395 grams, which is just under a pound. (I was really hoping for 5 or 10 pounds so I could explain away the weight I gained, but I guess it was just fat from chocolate!)

Mine also measured 13.0 x 9.0 x 6.4 cm. which is about the size of a 20 week pregnancy.

Hope this helps answer your question.

s,

Lisa
Unread 10-15-2003, 06:55 PM
uterus size...

Thanks for the info...
I suppose that having 3 c sections could cause it to be a little larger than most.
I am just suprised that I can not find any info on this...
Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2003, 09:17 PM
uterus size...

Hi again, Charlene.

I found one site that has some information on the size of a normal uterus: http://www.nuff.org/health_theuterus.htm

You'd think there would be more information on this out there, wouldn't you?
Unread 10-15-2003, 09:55 PM
uterus size...

My dr. told me normal is 100 grams and mine was 310 grams, which I figured out to be about 10 ounces. Amazing how something that small can make such a big lump! It's so nice to have it gone!
Unread 10-15-2003, 11:18 PM
search under specific disease names

Hi. I just got home today from the hospital. I have been tenatively diagnosed with adenomyosis prior to my hysterectomy (which confirmed it) though much seaching I have found some info on the subjects of adenomyosis and other uterine disorders. I have had lots of luck at ask.com. this is a search engine that has brought up tons of info for me. you just have to sort through them to find out what you want to know. I just read some info on hystercity.com that seemed quite informative. I have a medical background that has helped a lot in understanding some different areas to search. You will probably have more luck searching specifically for your disease processes (fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis) as opposed to searching enlarged uterus. (which is an effect of the diseases. hope this helped somewhat. I have been anxious to hear back from pathology to see if mine was solely adenomyosis or if something else was going on. the dr said my uterus was the size of an 8 wk pregnancy. when he tried to clamp it to pull it out, it cut right thru because it was so mushy. Yuck! good luck on your recovery.
Busy1
Unread 10-16-2003, 12:04 AM
uterus size...

the other poster is correct--50-60 grams is "of normal size"..and prenancies can make it slightly larger..i got my information from the medical college and university here in town..EVMS (Eastern VA Medical School)
Unread 10-16-2003, 06:49 AM
uterus size

Thank for such a question that it home with me. Im only three days home and still feeling the pain....My doctor delievered a "nerf football" as he called it and even took pictures of the huge sucker along with my adorable enlarged ovary. I have posted the pic on my frigeragerator so they all remember what I went through and still need to be treated like a princess.

I hope you find the information you are looking for and remember, we are here for support if you need us!
Unread 10-16-2003, 06:57 AM
uterus size...

Thanks for all the great info!
I feel much better now knowing that my old uterus wasn't so big after all...LOL!
Unread 10-16-2003, 08:44 AM
Uterus size

When i got my pathology report my doctor said that my uterus weighed 709 grams and was 16cm X 13cm x 11cm. The weight was about 10 times larger than it was supposed to be....I'm not great with math, but that would make a normal one about <100gms.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register