Went to ER, home from surgery, removed ovary, need help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Went to ER, home from surgery, removed ovary, need help Went to ER, home from surgery, removed ovary, need help

Unread 10-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Went to ER, home from surgery, removed ovary, need help

Hi Dear Sisters,
Well my Road experiences never end. I went to the ER on Saturday night for SEVERE right-sided pain. ER doc did x-ray and felt I may have another stone, this time from kidney, or something else. He admitted me to the hospital. After CT scan and vaginal ultrasound, the doctors felt the problem may be my ovary. By this time it was Tuesday. My primary care doc got me a new gynocologist. He was very thorough. He did a lap on Wednesday and found that my right ovary was full of cysts, had "flipped over" and was twisted and it was cutting off blood flow in my pelvic region. He removed the ovary and tubes. My other ovary had been removed a long time ago. He said the cysts may be endo related, we are waiting for the report. So now I have a verticle insicion with 16 staples and I'm off work for at least 4 weeks. This has been such a nightmare. He asked me about hormones. I have never taken them, since I still had this one ovary which I no longer have. He wants to start me on Climara patch. I have the script, but I'm scared of hormones. Anyone here on the Road have this patch? I know I will now be hoping over to the jungle for some advice, but i just wondered what any of you think. Thank you so much for listening. I'm in a lot of pain and need to lie down. I appreciate your insight.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2003, 02:30 PM

Hi Druid,

I am so sorry to hear about your recent surgery! (:

Drink plenty of water and rest, rest, rest. Your body has been through so much not to mention the emotional and mental beating you've just had.

I was treated for endo 6 weeks ago and my doctor and I are opting for zero HRT. I'm afraid the endo will come back and I must have had a load of estrogen stored up in my body because all I've experienced post-hyst are some minor hot flashes and insomnia.

I had a sleep disorder (night terrors) before my surgery so the sleeping problems aren't a huge concern.

I hope that you are feeling better soon. Take care.
Unread 10-16-2003, 02:32 PM

Oh My Gosh Druid

What an experience you had! I am so glad that your doctor found you a new Gyn and they acted quickly. I do hope that this surgery resolved things for you. You must have been in horrendous pain... I am so glad you went to the ER. (I had blood flow issues in my uterus that caused part of it to be cyanotic (starved of oxygen) and it was horrendously painful!!)

Please let us know what the pathology indicates.... and anything else you find out. I will be looking for you to see how you are healing from everything.... ... a princess twice over!

When you feel up to posting I am very interested to hear how it goes with the patch/ert. I might have to have my left ovary out soon due to endometriosis (it's not thought to be on the ovary but just feeding the endo they think is still in my pelvis). I am terrified I must admit to having to make a decision to have it out due to the hormone things... I am worried I will trade one problem for another.

Well dear Druid.... please take it easy and post when you can. I will be thinking of you and praying things are going well with no further complications.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2003, 02:43 PM

(((Druid))) I've been wondering how you've been doing... sorry to hear you had to have surgery again, but glad to hear they found (hopefully) the source of the problem and took care of it. Your pcp sounds like a keeper, and the new gyn, too!

About the Climara... please do come on over to the as there is soooo much information over there about the patches and also endo... your decision about hrt may depend on whether you find out you had endo or not. Some DRs don't allow their patients to use estrogen if they've had endo; some allow it only after some initial HRT-less period to try to let any remaining endo 'die off'; some will allow estrogen only combined with some type of progestin; and some don't seem to think it matters. So you'll want to do all the reading you can and make your own decision, since it's your body!

Climara is a great patch. My personal favorite is the Vivelle dot but Climara would be my #2 (it's bigger and has to stay on a whole week, which for me means it's less likely to make it through its whole projected useful life). Both contain the same bio-identical estradiol and come in the same dosages. The most important tip I can give you about patches is, make sure when you go to fill your prescription that the script says either 'dispense as written' or 'no substitutions' on it, otherwise your insurance company is very likely to make the pharmacist substitute a generic patch, and imho those are more trouble than they're worth.

I hope this helps.... see ya over in the Jungle, 'k?
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-16-2003, 08:24 PM

Druid,

I just wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you as you battle these problems.

Karen
Unread 10-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Druid

You poor thing! I'm so sorry to hear that you had to have surgery again. I'm having it again on the 28th. My problem is endo and the fact that it has decided to attach to scar tissue and whatever else it can find. I'm going to join you in the jungle as well, I want to do that research too! Goodness knows I don't want my kids or DH to think I'm going insane. LOL Hang in there and we'll get through this. We have a great support system here. The last time I was here, they took very good care of me! Sometimes it's easier to be here, because we all post and help eachother. So, chin up my dear! Do get your rest and we'll all be here when you venture back to your computer.

Take care and rest well.
Dixz
Unread 10-16-2003, 08:40 PM

wow I'm sorry about that, I too have been there only they only took one ovary, and in a few weeks we will be going in again for the uterus and I am having severe pain in my left ovary. I found a wonderful website with a ton of info on hormone replacement therapy and alternatives and all the different types of hormones different forms such as bioidenticle, synthetic and stuff like that all great information that I think would be good to have. The link is in the Hormone Jungle Resources forum and the website is called Survivers Guide to Surgical Menopause.
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Thank you

Hi,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am in so much pain from this surgery. It is worse than ever. Could it be because I have a verticle incision? Anyone have one like that? The doctor said he had to do it that way to get to the ovary and tubes which were a mess. He started out with a lap, and the small incisions hurt a lot too. I guess I am in shcok because I wasn't expecting surgery. I hope all of you feel better with the problems you are dealing with as well.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:27 AM

Hi (((Druid))) sorry you are having so much pain. I had a vertical incision with 30 staples with my colectomy. I have never had a horizontal incision so I can't compare... but it did hurt, that's for sure. It hurt less once the staples came out, because they were pulling. The steri strips the DR put on when he removed the staples were much more comfortable. But even now at 6 months post I still have some discomfort under my scar (which runs down the middle from breastbone to pubic bone).

Are you taking adequate pain meds now that you are at home? Drinking your fluids, walking, taking stool softeners, all that good Princess stuff? If the pain increases, rather than gradually decreasing, I would give your DR a call and let him know.

I'm sure it was a shock to expect no surgery, and then a lap, and wake up with a big incision like that. But it sounds like your DR did what he felt was best to help you... I hope you are feeling much better soon!

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-17-2003, 12:10 PM

Druid - i think I am about to go through what you just went through (to a certain degree anyway). I had a hyst in May (uterus and cervix) - and now I have cysts on my ovaries (big one on left, little ones on right) which are quite painful and causing tons of nausea -- so my ovaries are coming out the 27th. My doc is doing a horizontal incision as well - he said it is because the endo has my ovaries so stuck to other organs -- he needs to cut that way to get at it better. Is the horizontal incision really much more painful than the vertical one? My vertical incision from May never bothered me at all -- could hardly tell I was cut (it blends in with the stretch marks, too! ). . but I am really concerned about this horizontal one

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register