A big scare/ Vivelle Dot??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A big scare/ Vivelle Dot??? A big scare/ Vivelle Dot???

Unread 10-17-2003, 02:00 PM
A big scare/ Vivelle Dot???

The other night I sat down on the couch by myself and tried to lay down. I moved oddly and I had this awful pain inside. It felt like I had torn something. I called my doc and he said to take some Ibuprofin and to stay off my feet. I went to see him the next morning and he did an internal exam. He said I didnt tear anything but he is sure I pulled it really hard. I also had very painful vaginal spasms as a result of this incident. While I was there I told him I had been having some intense headaches and I thought it was coming from the estrogen pills I was taking. He wants to try me on the Vivelle Dot Patch. Can anyone who has been on this tell me how they are doing with it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2003, 02:21 PM

Christie,

I'm on the Vivelle dot patch. It's a bit bigger than a postage stamp and you change it 2x a week. I love it. I used to get migraines all the time and the only one I had was when I had the Climera patch they put on me at the hospital...it quit working before it's week was out. I changed to a Vivelle dot and within 15 minutes the headache was gone. Coincidence? I don't know, but I have been headache free for 6 weeks except for that incident. It has stayed on in the shower, when I got sweaty, in one bubble bath...with low water cuz I didn't want it over my incision yet. I wear it on the back of my hip.

Best test of the dot working: DBF was telling his sister over the phone that the HRT must be great because I've been in such a good mood and haven't taken his head off since my castle visit

s
Cat
Unread 10-17-2003, 02:44 PM

Smoopie:

I am 2 weeks post op and been on the Dot since day of surgery and love it!!! So far moods are level and no adverse side effects...I am on the .1. I did get night sweats the first few nights, but since day 3 its been smooth sailing. I feel just great! the Vivelle Dot sticks just great, unless you put it somewhere where it gets bent and/or rubbed. I made the mistake of putting it on the side of my hip once, instead of the back and it did not wear as well...my underwear kept rubbing it and rubbed it loose at the edges. Now I always but it toward the back of my hip just above my butt .... and thats just right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2003, 03:59 PM

I wear my Vivelle patch on belly right below my belly button (about 2 inches). Is that ok???
Unread 10-17-2003, 04:05 PM

Smoopie

You need to check the instructions (patient information leaflet) that you get with the patch about where to place it.

I am not on Vivelle patch but a patch called estraderm and I can place it anywhere below the belly button (not near the breasts) but the absorption is best if you place it on your hip.
Unread 10-17-2003, 11:22 PM

Hi Smoopie!
I wear mine below my belly button also, its what the instruction sheet showed that came with my dots. It sticks good there and is easy to change cause I can see it! I have had no hot flashes or anything. I love my Dot! 's
Unread 10-18-2003, 06:34 AM
vivelle

I am on the vivelle dot.75 and love it. The dr. started me on it the day of surgery. Kind of a funny story. I can now remember talking to the dr., and him telling me that he was going to order the patch. I also now remember someone coming in and putting it on my shoulder during the night. They got me up to take a shower the next morning, and I thought I had a piece of tape stuck to my arm and took it off. I got a horrible headche late that day, and the next morning they called the Dr to see about pain medicine for the headache. He mentioned the patch, and I thought oh my gosh that is what i took off on the shower. As soon as I got it back on the headache went away.

Kathy
Unread 10-18-2003, 09:04 AM

I was put on the .1 patch 10-16. My mood swings are terrible! As of today I can't tell that anything has changed! I am currently 3 weeks post op and have had an interesting ride with all of this. The flashes and sweats come at night. The worst part is the sweats. I have really thick hair and want desperatly to "shave" my head but fam won't let me.....
I am hoping that the patch will kick in soon!
Has it taken anyone else this long?
Kate
Unread 10-18-2003, 09:10 AM

Kate,

I saw that one other sister took about 3 days for her dot to take effect. If you're not feeling relief by Monday, I'd give the doctor a call. There's no need to be miserable when there are so many alternatives. You may want to swing through the Hormone Jungle and see if you can get any helpful hints from the ladies over there. They have a wealth of information on dealing with HRT issues.

Good luck to you.
s
Cat
Unread 10-18-2003, 09:33 AM

Hi Smoopy,

I listened to what many Sisters said here about lovin' the Vivelle dot & asked DR to try it at 4 wk check up. It did take about 3 days to kick in totally, but wow, what a change.

They put me on Premarin 1.25 pills in castle but they made me feel so sick all the time - even barfed a few days. Now I feel great, no nausea & much more upbeat & steady mood. Even seem to have more energy, but that may just be part of healing up...

I'm on Vivelle .5 as I wanted to start out with lowest possible dose, even tho' DR recommended .1. I put it on about hip height on buttock where DR says has one of best absorptions, then switch sides for next patch in 4 days. I love not having more pills to swallow, too.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register