Monistat and Estring - OK Together? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Monistat and Estring - OK Together? Monistat and Estring - OK Together?

Unread 10-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Monistat and Estring - OK Together?

I've been using Estring for three months for PFD. I recently had an endoscopy for GERD and have an ulcer and tested positive for H Pylori. I had two weeks of Prevpac which is a mega antibiotic therapy and that has left me with a red sore tongue and a wicked yeast infection. I bought Monistat today, called the pharmacist to double check if it's okay to use with Estring and he doesn't know. He said the drugs will not interact but he doesn't know if the Monistat will weaken components of the Estring. Has anyone used the two together? Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2003, 05:25 PM

Hi Saraly! I found this in the prescribing information for Estring:
  Quote:
It is recommended that the ring be removed during treatment with other vaginal medicines. If you develop a vaginal infection while using the ring, it is recommended that you remove the ring and resume therapy after the infection has been treated. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
So, I'd talk to your DR about this. If you haven't taken it recently, you might want to consider using Diflucan (one time oral pill) to treat the yeast infection while you're using the Estring, that way you wouldn't have to remove the Estring. Alternatively, you could get some vaginal Estrace or Premarin and use that while you're using the Monistat.

Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-17-2003, 06:56 PM

Thanks for responding! I'll call my GYN on Monday and ask about the pill. I can't get the Estring out, I have to have the doctor do it. I can feel the tip of it but can't hook it with my finger to pull it out no matter how I try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2003, 10:19 AM

Yeah, you have to do some real contortions to get that ring out, don't you? The last one, I had to get DH's help to get it out.

Since the ring can aggravate a yeast infection, it is best to remove it for treatment of the "yeasties".

Also, did your doctor discuss using "probiotics" during the h. pylori therapy? My doctor had me using a product called "Lactinex" (you get it from the pharmacist, as it has to be kept refrigerated, but it is OTC). It's live lactobacillus cultures. Eating yogurt may help too. I've been through the triple antibiotic therapy twice now (first time didn't quite take care of it) and it's pretty miserable...but it works!!

and hope you're feeling better soon!

Audrey
Unread 10-18-2003, 10:44 AM

Thanks Audrey! I did take probiotics and ate yogurt every day.
It's not the worst yeast infection I've ever had but stubborn! I also have a sore tongue that I think is caused by a yeast infection. I hope I don't have to repeat the Prevpac because it was a miserable two weeks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register