Don't want the surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't want the surgery Don't want the surgery

Unread 10-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Don't want the surgery

Hi Pam,
The thought of a hysterectomy terrified me too. The thought of having cancer and not being there for my children terrified me more.

I had the surgery and I am the same person I was before-just minus my uterus. I feel good. My husband still finds me attractive. I still feel complete. It has been a journey getting here but I made it. Please take care of your health. I applaud your considering all options, but don't avoid the surgery if it is needed. Good Luck with this most difficult decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Don't want the surgery

Hi Pam,

I just had my surgery four and a half weeks ago and I can tell you I am so relieved now. I was terrified of the surgery - and dying. I couldn't eat for a week prior and I wrote letters to my DS and DH in case I didn't make it. I made myself physically sick.

Because I had cancer I wouldn't have considered not having the surgery. Having the cancer spread was a chance I was not going to take. Because I wanted to wait a few weeks, my GYN said she would have me sign a letter stating I knew the risks of my cancer spreading if I did not have the surgery immediately. I opted to get it over with.

Because the cancer was caught in the earliest stages, no chemo or radiation is necessary. No more periods! Also - my GYN says having the ovaries removed reduces the risk of breast cancer - gotta love that!

Your decision is a difficult one and as the others have said, I hope you make the one that is best for your health. This wonderful group of women will be with you all the way.

Here is a HUG! (((((((PAM))))))))))))))

Jan
Unread 10-21-2003, 04:09 AM
Thanks again

Thanks guys for being here. I believe I told you all I've written some questions to my DR and am waiting for her reply to them. But it looks like I'm leaning towards the surgery even though this is the hardest darn thing I'v ever had to do. Life's a pain sometimes isn't it. Oh well, thanks again. Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2003, 05:02 AM
Don't want the surgery

Hey Pam - I was crushed when I got my diagnosis of Endometrial cancer on July 16 - and the seven day wait to have my TAH/BSO was excruciating! I too, never saw myself ever getting a hysterectomy - never had problems until this past summer. But I want you to know that I consider myself a lucky woman! I am able to walk away from this and go about my life...

I'll be thinking of you ~ Susanne

p.s. Had my surgery on 7/23 and with the exception of some very manageable 's I feel great and getting better every day!

's
Unread 10-21-2003, 12:01 PM
me either

I thought years ago that a hyst would be great and eliminate all those unwanted periods. Hmmm. I reached that magic age of menapause and figured I was home free. After a big ole gusher out of the blue.. I was dx with endometrial cancer and was told that surgery was the only way and possibly all that was needed. I was so RELIEVED that I didn't have to make a decision.. it was already decided. Now, post-surgery.. I'm RELIEVED to know that it is all out of there.. nothing in there to worry about anymore. Course you never quite get past that "what if" stage (or I haven't yet).. but I am grateful that it was found, it was early, and I'm now not worried about a remaining ovary or the cervix or anything else. I feel without a doubt that I did the right thing. It is major surgery so go to the best. Your doc will take care of you and you will recover. Life can be new and interesting on the other side of hysterville!!
Unread 10-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Don't want the surgery

You will be the same woman after surgery. I too, was scared, and I had been trying to get pregant.
This surgery is definately doable. I've seen woman post that this surgery takes away "your womanhood." Don't believe this. We are so MUCH more than uterus and ovaries. We're the same people.
Unread 10-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Don't want the surgery

Hi Pam
I was given the exact same diagnosis as you on Oct. 17. The Dr. really didn't offer alternatives, his opinion is we need to get it out. I am scheduled for surgery on November 12. This hit me really hard. My mom passed away in 2000 from cancer, and boy would I love to talk to her now. I think this is the time most people miss that special person they could talk to and be comforted by. Anyway, it so happens my surgery is scheduled on my Mom's birthday, so she will be in my thoughts as well.
My church, and ladies in the church have been a great resource for one on one conversations. They are already looking forward to coming over and helping out. In fact, our minister is preparing his vacuuming skills. My plan is to try very very hard to let myself be taken care of.
I will be following your posts to see what decision you come to, and let you know how my journey is as well. But, remember there are people out there to talk to, you just have to ask.

Pat
Unread 10-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Don't want the surgery

Pam, I had a biopsy that was atypical hyperplasia, which is less precancerous than yours, but with possible focal cells (cancer cells) like you too and my doctor said that was it, it was time for the hyst. I also had some fibroids and I think that is what gave me more discomfort. But I am glad to have had the surgery. I wanted any possiblity of cancer out of me. I even wanted my ovaries out so there was no where else for anything to show up, besided having had a history of cysts rupturing.

It wasn't until after surgery that I found out that I indeed had endometrial cancer - stage 1B. It wasn't out of the lining yet or into the lymph nodes so I didn't have to have any further treatment. I do need to go back every 3 months for repeat pap smears because if it dues reappear, it would show up on the vaginal cuff first. At 3 years I go to having them every 6 months for 2 years. At 5 years it is considered a cure if nothing shows up. I feel that isn't much to go through compared to the other ladies who had more advanced cancer and had to go through chemo and radiation. It is a hard decision and maybe you do need a third opinion. It is a hard decision for ladies when cancer isn't even a concern.

As fas as not feeling feminine anymore, well, the ravages of cancer treatments probably make women feel even more that way than a hyst does. The great thing about a hysterectomy is no one can see inside of you to see what iis taken out. I think many women, especially the ones who had the bad symptoms, feel so much MORE feminine now that they have a normal life back, without pain and flooding. People will have no idea. As far as your personality changing? Hormones or herbal supplements can work great for mood swings, and can help that libido too. It can take a bit for some to get adjusted on it but is well worth the trying. I can't take hormones but with the help of the ladies on the no hormone oasis (and friends at work who aren't taking hormones for their menopause) I found herbal supplements that have worked wonders.

You need to be willing to let your doctor know after surgery if the medicatin they put you on is not making a difference or even making things worse, they seem to be very good at adjusting things when women let them know about it (especially that libido part). I also think most women well balanced on their hormones have no changes with their weight...not simply because they have had a hysterectomy. We are all very different and that can be different for each of us. I think you will find after being here for just a bit is how very different each and every one of our stories is. We can have the same surgery and diagnosis but have a different story...because we are each unique and different.

What we can do is share our experiences to help others through the same thing. I also think the biggest thing that everyone here does have in common is that they don't really want to have surgery and even when they do to get rid of the symptoms they are experiencing, they are still scared witless by the whole thing. Your fears of surgery may be more in the forefront than the fear of cancer....and that is perfectly normal. Again, you are not alone.

If you do decide to go ahead with surgery please read up onas much info as possible that is available here. The preop and post op hints and articles are a great place tos tart, and you will find you are in a large companyof others who are just as nervous about this as you are, but they amek it through it too. The articles can be found by going to the top right of the page to where it says More Hyster Sisters. Scroll down on the pull down and find them there. If you go to the Message Boards section on teh bulletted items at the top of the page you will find a hystersister resource forum and in side that a forum for preop and post op resources that are excellent also.

Hugs,

Linda >^..^<

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register