Ovarian cyst burst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian cyst burst Ovarian cyst burst

Unread 10-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Ovarian cyst burst

I think I am having this problem & it looks like I need to now get my ovaries out. It's been 4 months since my hyster. I never imagined I would have to have this done. Has anyone else had to go thru this? what does it compare to to the hyst? Recoop time & healing time. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Ovarian cyst burst

I have had numerous cysts burst, and it is very very painful although it doesn't present any immediat danger. The problem is you don't really know if your cyst is rupturing or if it is torsing your ovary which is dangerous, so getting it checked out is probably a good idea. I got cysts on my right ovary and ended up having it removed and then they had to take the ovary because it came back and torsed the ovary, I am actually wondering right now if my left ovary is torsed. Anyway they can either do a cystectomy which I don't know how effective that normally is and or whether or not they usually grow back or you could have your ovaries removed and then you probably would need HRT
Unread 10-20-2003, 05:50 AM
Ovarian cyst burst

Hi,

I had my LAVH in January of this year. We elected to keep both ovaries......although there were cysts on the right ovary present at the time of the LAVH....my Dr. said they were very small.....so he left the ovaries.

I have had a 5cm. right ovarian cyst rupture within the past 2 weeks and it has absolutely been the worst pain that I have ever had in my life. I continually have blood in my urine and recurrent UTI's. I had a colonoscopy done 2 weeks ago.....with some small polyps removed.....which thank goodness were benign. So....with all of that said....I am scheduled for surgery on the 29th to remove both ovaries.

I too would be interested in hearing from others about this surgery and the recovery time....etc.

Know that you are not alone here on the road. Hang in there. We'll get through this together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Ovarian cyst burst

Hi, I wish you well, and thought you may find it helpful to hear of my experience

With "cysts" I understand that what is done depends what kind they are and whether twisted (torted) or not. I think that twisting really may be very different to rupturing, so you could ask your doc for some info.
I had a twisted mass (2 lbs weight: 17 cm across) on one of my ovaries - it had to be removed in a hurry. Of course the ovary had to go as well. I am now 7 months since the op and only just feeling like back to myself.
You ask about what the experience is like - well, I guess it depends really on type and size of the cyst. I had swelly belly for the first 6 months since the op, and although I did not have a hysterectomy, I have used this site for info as many of my post-op symptoms appeared to the same as for women who had hysterectomy. The opening they made for me was across my tummy (several inches) - but the docs may choose to do it completely differently depending in what you have.
With one overy left my hormones got upset for the first 6 months, but now seem to be settling down now.
After the op I have had to have physiotherapy as my pelvic floor kind of collapsed. But the excercises really have worked.
Also, acupuncture seems to have had an incredibly good effect on the swelly belly!
In the past I had keyhole surgery to remove a cyst on the same ovary, but yes, it obvously recurred.

I hope my experience helps. I know we're all different.

I wish you well, and hope that all is alright for you
Unread 10-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Ovarian cyst burst

I have had both cysts rupture and twisted ovaries, and they are different. It is hard to know for me one from the other. My cysts are very painful and when they rupture it is really really sharp shooting pain as well as extreme tenderness. They can also cause nausia when they rupture. Torsion is when the cysts cause the ovary to pull down and then it twists it usually cutting off blood flow to the ovary. This causes severe pain and nausia. The symptoms of ovarian cyst rupture and torsion are very similar although generally torsion is more intense symptoms. I personally have a lot of pain even when the cyst isn't ruptured so it is hard for me to determine what is serious and what is not.
Unread 10-23-2003, 06:59 PM
twisted sister

Hi,
I'm writing to send healing thoughts to all of you who may be having their ovaries removed. I'm 8 days post-op from having my "one good remaining ovary" removed. I had severe pelvic pain for about two months. I also dealt with a lot of bladder problems and had a bladder stone removed a month ago. The CT scan and vaginal ultrasaound had indicated I had a small cyst on my ovary and a small cyst on my tube. Two gyns said it was normal and didn't need to do anything. Well I felt ok for a while once the bladder stone was removed, but then one day the pain in my right side was so severe and I was nauseous and my husband took me to the ER. After more tests, they were thinking it was bladder or kidney stones again, and three days in the hospital, my family doctor got me a new gyn who did a lap and ended up removing my ovary and tube, which were all twisted up, caused by the cyst, and the blood flow was cut off. I have a verticle incision with 16 staples, because the gyn couldn't get in there to remove it with just the lap, it was high up and what he called "a mess." All I can say is if I had had the other gyns listen to me about the pain which also seemed to be coming from my ovary as well as my bladder, then the surgery could have been planned and not been as complicated as it all became. I've been through a lot - hyst and bladder repair 3 years ago, posterior repair 2 years ago, another bladder surgery in Feb. of this year, a cystoscopy to remove an undected bladder stone, and now this. It feels as bad to me as recovering from the hyst, which had a been a lap, because the verticle incision is nasty and about the worst in my opinion. So, I hope you can avoid following in my footsteps and are able to take care of the ovaries at least without the nasty incision. I will be off work again for 6 weeks according to my new gyn. Plus, I just started the Climara patch and am worried about hormones and now also in the jungle. I will keep all ovary sisters in my prayers and perhaps we will be sorting the hormones together as well.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Ovarian cyst burst

Druid,
Thank you for that note. I had one ovary removed due to torsion. All the ultrasounds I have had have indicated maybe a small cyst on my left ovary and I keep telling the doctor that it is really painful and now it is more frequent pretty much constant and I am so nausious which I tell her is like when I had my right one removed which like you was due to emergancy surgery done after I ended up in the ER. This doctor is great but she doesn't think that the cyst is large enough to go in just for that, and she doesn't think my fibroid is causing the other pain because that isn't real big either and well left it up to me to have a hyst which I chose to do. I told her also if she sees anything that could be causing the pain in my ovary to remove it. She didn't do an ultrasound on Mon. When I went to see her. What I am afraid of is if it is a cyst then it will cause all this pain until right before then rupture and be gone. I want her to see what is happening to me. I don't know if that is weird or anything but I want her to understand that something is wrong. It's nice knowing that these tests can be really wrong or misguided. Knowing that makes me feel like maybe I'm not crazy. I know where my pain is and I am sure the pain is on the right side of my uterus and my left ovary, I have no doubts that is what is going on but my doctor does because of the test results. Not to mention my stomache looks like I am around 4-5 months pregnant. Sometimes I have to wonder too because I feel pregnant with the hormonal issues and nausia, but I know I'm not because I haven't been up to messing around with my hubby while feeling like this, it's been over 1 1/2 months. I have had two periods since then.
Unread 10-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Hugs again

Hi,
menriqu - you are not going crazy and these tests, even the CT scans can be wrong or can be read wrong because I am proof. The CT scan I had before having to have a large bladder stone removed did not even indicate there was a stone there, and the urologist who did my cystoscopy and then removed it was amazed it did not show up in the CT report. And, as far as the ovary, the CT scan and vaginal ultrasound showed I had a cyst, but it wasn't really large or anything, at least in the tests. I was in agony, and as you know I ended up with a twisted ovary and tube from what was called a normal cyst that would go away. My new gyn, who did the lap which turned into an ovarian surgery, said he wanted to do the lap to go in and really see what was going on since I was in so much pain. He was originally thinking he would remove a small cyst or drain it to see what type of cyst it was. Thank God he did go in, as the ovary and tube were a twisted mess! A cyst doesn't have to be large to cause trouble. If you are in all this pain, you need a gyn to go in and see what is going on. you;ve been thourgh this enough already, and I sure hate to see anyone deal with what I dealt with, for alomst 3 months of pain until I ended up in the ER. I feel if I had been beleived in the first place, the ovary could have been taken care of when I also had my bladder checked. In the end, I had 2 separate surgeries under ER type curcumstances within a month. I also think I would have been able to avoid the verticle incision I now have if I had a gyn who would have taken action sooner. thank God my family docotor got me a new gyn who did as best he could given what was going on. I sure hope you can get throughthis soon and get rid of the pain. Keep me posted on how you are doing. And please, all ovary sisters, stay firm and don't let the gyns blow you off for a long time if you are in pain. You are all in my prayers.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 10-24-2003, 11:43 PM
Ovarian cyst burst

Thank you, I really do feel better knowing I'm not the only one who is in such pain but ultrasound only shows small problems. I know the interpretation of the u/s also matters since once in my younger years I was in severe pain and came on base (I'm former military) for an urgent ultrasound and they said everything was normal only for me to read a few years later in my records that they noted an enlarged folicle. I know from talking to other u/s techs that a cyst and a folicle look the same and actually most cysts are just folicles with excess fluid in them. Either way when a person is in severe pain you don't assume it is a normal folicle.

As far as getting everything checked out I have surgery scheduled for Nov 3 which is not this comming monday but the next. I just hope I can hold out that long, I've been having serious troubles with nausia, being worse in the morning. No I'm not pregnant, besides my morning sickness was never confined to morning. I am scheduled to have my uterus removed and my appendix (the doctor isn't convinced what they think is a small fibroid is causing the pain so she thought they would remove the apendix just to be sure). She said she will check out the other ovary at that time. I really like this doctor. I had one I really felt comfortable with and she stopped taking our insurance so we had to go to a different doctor, I went to two or three that just didn't work out, one wanted to do exploritory surgery but if she found anything she was going to sew me back up and take care of it later, she said she didn't schedule enough time and she wanted to be sure insurance would pay for it. Well idiot, they would be more likely to pay for it if you weren't trying to schedule another surgery to take care of it. The point of exploritory surgery is to see if anything is wrong and if so get rid of it. Then another woman didn't even talk about whether or not we wanted children, she insisted I had to be on birth control pills and went as far as to give me the morning after pill for the just in case times. I asked her how that works because I personally oppose abortion and feel that it is a baby from the moment of conception. She had the nerve to tell me I wouldn't oppose it unless (get this) I was Greek Orthodox Catholic. Where did that come from? Who is she to first of all make assumptions like that, second of all be so disrespectful of those who are Greek Orthodox Catholic, and third assume that I would have to have extremely strict religous beliefs to oppose. That was really insulting to me. I do personally oppose that pill and I am not Greek Orthodox Catholic, although I am offended that she would be so rude like that without knowing whether I was or wasn't. And who is she to think she has the right to make assumptions about a religion she obviously knows nothing about? Anyway I hope I didn't offend anyone I just took that as being really rude and well never went back to see her. I also saw a male doc but I am not comfortable with males and the only reason I saw him was because there were no more females available to me on my insurance that I hadn't already seen and I needed to see someone because of what was going on. I found this doctor from a referal from a friend and I really like her although I am not as close to her as my first doctor she is really sympathetic of my pain and even though she is doubtful that my fibroid and cyst are big enough to cause me this type of pain she is willing to check it out. Ok this wasn't supposed to be this long and I am really sorry about that, it's just every time I think about that one doctor I get angry and go off. I can't really put into words what I felt so I hope I didn't offend anyone with what I said I just think it isn't fair to those who are Greek Orthadox and it wasn't fair to me who does oppose that and she assumed that I would't because apparently she has no respect for people who differ in opinion to hers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register