TAH ahead/Cancer of Uterine Lining/Nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH ahead/Cancer of Uterine Lining/Nervous TAH ahead/Cancer of Uterine Lining/Nervous

Unread 10-20-2003, 05:32 PM
TAH ahead/Cancer of Uterine Lining/Nervous

Hello and please forgive me if I'm not doing any of this right. I just signed up this afternoon and am learning my way around the forums.
PAP came back as atypical glandular changes of undetermined significance. Since I am 49 years old, Doc did a colposcopy with biopsies of cervix, canal and lining of uterus last Wednesday. He called this morning for me to come into the office before noon. I have cancer of the uterus. I am facing a complete hysterectomy. He says they will not know what stage it is nor if it has spread until they get in there.

My pre-op visit is this Thursday with the surgeon. I suppose surgery will be scheduled that day.

I am already postmenopausal (no periods for a year and bloodtests confirmed) and have never taken BC pills nor hormones. I have two wonderful sons and four beautiful grandchildren and a wonderful supportive husband......but still feel like my body has betrayed me. I'm just ready to get it out of me. The sooner the better.

And how long does this 'weepy stage' last? I can just look at a tv commercial and weep.

Has anyone else faced this knowing there is cancer in there?
Thank you,
nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2003, 07:33 PM

Dear ((( Nancy ))),

I'm so very sorry that you are facing surgery, but I'm glad that you found Hyster Sisters and posted. I found your post in our pre-op forum (which is fine ), but I think that you'll find even more support and 's from the ladies who are also facing surgery because of cancer. I'm sure you'll hear from others very soon.

Normally I would have sent you an e-mail or a PM to tell you that I moved your post, but you don't have those options enabled, so I am doing it this way.

Please continue to read, research and post all the questions you want. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

's
Unread 10-20-2003, 07:35 PM

Yes, Nancy, a lot of us do know or expect that cancer will be found before we go in for the surgery. That was my case. Thankfully, I did not have to wait long before they were able to do the surgery.

Is a gynecological oncologist surgeon doing your surgery? They're the experts. Having a gyn onc surgeon do the surgery significantly improves your outlook. I can't stress that enough and I'm sure a lot of women will be saying the same thing.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you're doing and how your pre-surg visit goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2003, 08:04 PM

Thank you both so much for writing to me. I don't know anyone in my life that has had a hyster. for cancer. Mostly for heavy bleeding problems.
I have had only one other abnormal PAP in my life, back in 2000. Was re-papped six months later, two days after Daddys' funeral, and it was normal. Pap in Sept. 2002 was normal and now this abnormal one.
My ob/gyn said that two years ago, before the new classifications of paps, this would have been missed.
My menopause has been a breeze. Just hot flashes and no periods. I thought I had really pulled it off.....guess not. Well, at least I won't be thrown into immediate menopause....that's one bright side.

Yes, my pre-op appt. is with a surgeon who specializes in cancer and hysterectomies. I have to travel 100 miles to my doctors and also to the hospital where the surgery will take place. I guess we have alot of long trips ahead of us.

nancy
Unread 10-20-2003, 08:24 PM

Hi Nancy,
I was in the exact same postion last July. I had had uterine biopsies every six months for more than three years due to complex hyperplasia. Each had come back as expected. Hyperplasia non mallignant. That is until June. I had to wait four weeks for the surgery and the waiting was the hardest part.
Make sure the surgery is done by an onco/gyn. That way the lymph glands can be checked and staging can be done. I have read here about other girls that had to have a second surgery to check the lymph nodes.
I am feeling find now and have completed 14 external radiation treatments. It had been nothing like I had espected and have had no side effects as of yet. I know I can still have soon side effects, but with just two week to go I can handle anything.

Try to take just one day at a time. Use this time to learn everything you can about your case and what treatments are available. Just having this knowledge will make you more confident. Please feel free to e mail me if you have any questions or worries.
Jean
Unread 10-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Hi Nancy,

I am glad you found us and I want to let you know that we will be here rooting for you!! I knew I had cancer before my surgery and also saw a gyn-oncologist to do surgery. I just completed chemo (after radiation). If there are treatments involved for you, just know that they are do-able. I did not have any trouble with the surgery or afterwards. I followed the doctor's advice and took it easy, and pain was minimal. I wish you so much peace and calm! I too cried at everything. There is a bit of shock when you hear the word "cancer". Keep us posted on how you are doing!
Unread 10-20-2003, 09:50 PM

Hi Nancy -

Welcome to the group - these ladies have been lifesavers to me!
I am nearly five weeks post op for uterine cancer surgery. I didn't have any symptoms and am pre-menopausal (just turned 41 last week!). I was seeing my urologist for a bladder problem and he said my uterus was prolapsed. Went to my GYN and she said it wasn't. Decided to get a second opinion and it WAS prolapsed, and based on a bleeding incident I had in May and family cancer history my new GYN did a uterine biopsy.
Uterine cancer is the most treatable GYN cancer because women tend to be symptomatic (bleeding between periods or post-menopause) and seek help when the cancer is very early.
Mine was a stage 1A which doesn't require radiation (whooppee!).
Yes - it's normal to freak out pre-surgery - I did big-time - but I can't tell you the sense of relief I felt after the surgery was over.
Please keep us posted and vent all you like! You can ask anything here.
Hugs!
Jan
Unread 10-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Been there too..

I was in the same position as you are now last spring. I was post-menapausal as well... hadn't had a period in a year and out of the blue.. a real gusher. My doc sent me for the usual.. ultrasound, and then biopsy. I knew going into it that I had a "grade1" adenocarcinoma. The worst part was waiting the 5 weeks for surgery. If you can, make sure you get scheduled sooner... it is REALLY hard waiting. I had the surgery and they confirmed that it was adenocarcinoma and stage 1. I was lucky. I too found it difficult to accept and since I had felt pretty good about sailing through menapause was bummed that I now needed surgery. Since I'd already gone thru the hot flashes etc. my doc felt I'd have no real adverse reactions as far as surgical menapause.. (I didn't, luckily). I had a few night sweats once home from the hosptial and a few minor hot flashes (those last gasping pockets of estrogen hidden somewhere?).. anyway.. I'm still feeling the after affects of surgery.. mostly just tired and sometimes a bit sore. I guess it can take up to a year to get it all back.. I'm really glad I got so lucky. The biggest benefit of all is that I don't have to worry about my ovaries or uterus or cervix getting anything!!!! It can all be a good thing. Let me know if you want to chat more about what is going on. This place is awesome for information. It is amazing that in a few short months this will all be well behind you...
Unread 10-21-2003, 10:13 AM

You ladies are so wonderful to share with me what you have been through. I thank you so much.
I feel like a little bouncy ball...one minute fine and the next freaked out.Right now I am concentrating on trying to eat. When you all received your diagnosis, was it hard for you to chew and swallow?
I know it's important for me to try to build myself up physically for this. I'm pretty small, always have been. Well, maybe 'boney' is a better description...I used to be 112 pounds before all this worry. Now I'm down to 107.
That's probably not good going into surgery, huh?

nancy
Unread 10-21-2003, 11:39 AM
swallowing

Chewing was not the problem, it was the swallowing. Yes.. it all goes along with the diagnosis. Thank God I found this site. It really helped. I lost about 10 lbs. before surgery and about 15 after. (I needed to) I considered it a benefit of it all. You just need to take deep cleansing breaths.. in.... out... I went through those momentary panic attacks.. (not quite so momentary).. Also, BIG HUGE suggestion... xanax. When my gyn called with the dx, later my regular doc called to see how I was reacting to all this and I told her I was very anxious. She prescribed xanax. I took one in the evenings and actually slept quite well most nights. It takes the edge off. Also, work kept me fairly busy. The internet helps as well.. except that you will go through the "know too much".. syndrome. You will "take in" as much as you can manage. Also keep in mind that uterine cancer is VERY curable/treatable. For me, it was surgery alone. It still doesn't prevent the "cancer head" from striking and all the unknowns to get you going.. try to schedule your surgery as quickly as possible.. if only to limit the time you have to worry about everything. Also, talk to the doc about pain control when you "come to" in the recovery room. I didn't seem to get enough and I've seen here that there are some cool things they can do with epidurals to keep things under control. You will manage it all ok.. we all do somehow... keep reading the posts.. it helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register