Here for support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Here for support Here for support

Unread 10-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Here for support

Hi Ladies,

Some of you may remember that I posted about a month ago that my sister was diagnosed with MS. I too have been having symptoms-weakness in the legs, numbness and tingling in my arm. Figured I'd better go in and get it checked out.

Found out from my MRI that I either have had a series of small strokes (huh? I'm 32) or possibly Multiple Sclerosis. Many of you have fought much harder battles than I could've ever imagined and have succeeded beautifully. So it is to you that I come for some encouragement.

Just a note- a couple of weeks ago someone posted a reminder that we be conscious of our symptoms and wary of chalking everything up to our cancer or surgeries. I seconded that notion then, and I second it now!!

I'm scared, really scared. Thanks guys,

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Here for support

Hi Beth,

This MS thing is really scary... However after the chemo I was left with weakness in my leg muscles basically in front above the knees.

I go to gym classes, work all day and do lots of things but if I am down on the floor for something, I can hardly get up. I actually need to pull up on something. However I do not have any tingling in arms or fingers or stuff like that.

I attributed it to an aftermath of chemo but who knows now.

Will keep a watch on things.
Rosalie
Unread 10-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Here for support

Dear Beth,

My father has had a series of small strokes. They appear as little black spots on CT scans or MRIs. But he's doing fine. So it's possible. Does MS look the same on a scan? I wasn't aware that a scan would show MS. But I don't know much about it.

The numbness and tingling could be associated with neuropathy from the chemo. Sometimes, neuropathy pops up much later. I've been having some cranky hand and foot pain, which I haven't appreciated. But no numbness.

One thing that has eliminated numbness for me is B complex vitamins. Have you tried them? They're cheap and easy to take. They might help. It's worth a shot.

I hope and pray that you don't have MS. I know how scared you must be. But if it turns out (and I know it won't!) that you do have MS, just know that it is something that people can live with. Montel Williams has MS and is doing great and still hosting his show. I believe he spends a lot of time exercising.

Which reminds me that I haven't been exercising enough.

Anyway, keep your spirits high and keep us posted. We're all sending you good thoughts! s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2003, 01:51 AM
Here for support

I'm sorry you are feeling so scared. You will be in my thoughts and prayers... Becka
Unread 10-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Here for support

Hi All,

Thanks for the support, it is much appreciated. I take B-vitamins every day, so I'm thinking that's not it but the bloodwork will certainly shed more light on this. Hmm, maybe I should take more .

SirenSong-to answer your question, yes, an MRI will show lesions or plaques on your brain and spinal cord indicating MS, I guess this is a fairly recent development. My understanding is that these indicate areas where the nerves were de-myelinated and then scarred over. It's sometimes difficult to differentiate between signs of stroke and signs of MS. Thanks so much for your optimism and support-I needed it!!!

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register