What does a low temperature mean? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What does a low temperature mean? What does a low temperature mean?

Unread 10-22-2003, 05:04 AM
What does a low temperature mean?

Hi Sisters!
Tis not quite 7am and haven't slept well all night, kept waking up feeling hot and having to wee. Finally just decided to stay up, and for some reason popped a thermometer in my mouth to see if I might have a fever. Well, it was below normal, 97.4 I thought the thermometer was broken so I checked it with 2 other thermometers, a digital and one of the old fashioned glass ones, and it still was low. I have never had a low temp before. I am relieved I don't have a fever because I know that could be a sign of infection and I had been feeling so hot. Is a temp being low a sign of anything? I'll keep checking it, otherwise I feel okay, except for some achy pain and slight swelling on my lower right pelvic area where my ovary was removed. Thanks for any info. 's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2003, 05:11 AM

Hi Kayla

As long as your temp is normal don't worry .. could be a side effect of the HRT you are taking.

I'm a bit of the opposite, went to bed last night .. freezing. Had a hot water bottle, 2 quilts and surrounded by 10 pillows and was still shivering. Good night sleep (insomnia has gone YIPEE!!!) Still cold today so the central heating has been turned up and on full blast !!! Hopefully I will get warm soon ..... all I can do is presume it is hormonal !!
Unread 10-22-2003, 06:28 AM

Good Morning!
My temp has consistently been around 97 post-op too. I am not sure why but I feel fine and assume it is just the low activity level. If you learn medically why this is-I would love to know!
Is this what they mean by "chilled out"???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2003, 06:44 AM

97-99 is the normal range- I know we always hear the standard "98.6." Sometimes body temperature is a little below normal after an infection is over with. Sometimes it's the time of day (early morning)when temps are lower, or low activity level. Try taking your temp in the afternoon - it should be slightly higher. I wouldn't worry much, but if you are concerned or develop new symptoms, call the nurse at the doc's office.
Unread 10-22-2003, 09:01 AM

How weird is this? I just stuck a thermometer into my mouth and came over to read the new posts and came across yours. My temperature has always been low throughout my life. In fact, if I feel warm as I did upon waking a few minutes ago (I was also up all night and finally went to sleep around 7:00am) I could take my temp and if it was 98.6 or higher that means to me that I am running a little temp. I am sure no health care provider would believe that, but it is the way my body has always been. So, I just took the thermometer out of my mouth and it is 98.6. Before shaking it down a few minutes ago, it showed a temp of 97. something which was the reading from the last time I took my temp. It would be interesting to know if the difference in temps means anything. It probably doesn't, what is normal for one person is not normal for another. Don't our differences make us so much more interesting! Years ago when I was taking my temp for ovulation identification it did fluctuate in the mornings before getting up, so it must have something to do with hormones.
Unread 10-22-2003, 04:08 PM

Thanks Sisters!
Guess I'm not the only one then, so unless I develop another symptom along with this low temp thing I won't call the Dr yet. I quit taking my temp a few days after the operation, so it could have been like this for awhile. It's fluctuated all day from a low of 96.5 to a high of 97.8, it did go up in the afternoon. I don't feel cold at all. The low activity level makes sense too, I am resting alot these days! 's to you all!
Unread 10-22-2003, 04:18 PM

major surgery can disrupt the system that keeps our internal "thermostat" in line. Many people have temperatures that run the gambit up and down, and usually it means nothing. If yours goes above 101 f you do need to call your doctor.

some of us have really mild fevers up to 100 + and get the annoying hot and cold sweats etc. While they really aren't serious they can make you8 feel yucky....you may find bathing several times a day helps keep you from getting too sticky.

I had my hair chopped off really short because I knew I was going to be wanting to shampoo daily.
Unread 10-22-2003, 04:24 PM

Kayla, my normal temp is 97.4. If I run 98.6 then I'm already sick! After my surgery they kept taking my temp in my ear and wold follow up with an oral temp because I consistently ran around 94.0 Thought I read somewhere here in the last month that it had to do with thyroid. Maybe someone else can recall the whole conversation. Thought it was Surferbabe ot Saschi who both seem to have a large knowledge base when it comes to hysterectomies and after effects. Brenda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register