Desperate, can anyone help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Desperate, can anyone help? Desperate, can anyone help?

Unread 10-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Desperate, can anyone help?

Since my TAH 6weeks ago I have experienced a constant dull pain on my right hand side & low down in pelvis which is annoying but bearable pottering round the house. If I try to walk any distance (15/20 minutes) the pain is murder. So I've been virtually housebound all these weeks, save a few short walks in the evening when DH's home.

My post op checkup was last week and the consultant told me I had extensive endometrosis, so a lot of cutting and burning required during op. He thinks the pain I have is nerve damage due to stitches. He assures me as the suture's dissolve pain will go.

Consultant's advice was to try and build up the time I'm walking outside and to try to ignore the pain, he assures me that while it will hurt, it will not do any damage. I just need to wait till internal stitches dissolve.

I have tried to follow his advice, but goodness the pain, it's not easy trying to ignore the awful pain and despite my best efforts it's not getting any easier. I've been at this a few days now and I'm just exhausted, very sore and tearful. The worst of it is, when I go to bed it's so painful I just cant sleep despite painkillers & hot water bottle. I toss and turn all night.

I've rang his office and their advice was just stick with it, it will get easier with time.

I just cannot do this anymore, can anyone tell me how long these internal stitches take to dissolve and has anyone experienced this?

Tilly
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2003, 06:41 AM

Tilly,
I am sorry you are having to live with such pain. I believe pain is our body's way of letting us know something is amiss. I encourage you to get a second opinion. It sounds as though you are being patted on your head instead of being seriously listened to.
I hope you have relief soon.
Sue
Unread 10-23-2003, 08:37 AM

I had a burning sensation on the right side near where the incisions is. I questioned my doctor about this and he said it was due to the retractor they used in that area. He advised with time this burning sensation would ease and go away. It's been four weeks now and I barely feel it anymore.

Maybe with time, yours too will go away. But if not, don't hesitate to call or go back to the doctor with your concerns.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2003, 08:42 AM

Boy was I glad to read your post as I have the exact same issue! My pain is in a very localized spot on the right, about an inch or so above the incision. When I saw the doctor at 6 weeks, she said she could feel the knot and explained that that is the "end" of the fascia stitches; that it was heavier stitching used and that there is a clump of stitches there. She encouraged me to massage it regularly to help the dissolving process but said it could take a couple of months to go away completely. This is my first week back at work and the discomfort is definitely greater then when I was at home and I have attributed that to walking more. I would hesitate to label this sensation as "pain" but more of a "zinger" or a "pulling" feeling. It's pretty darned annoying no matter what you call it!

alto1
Unread 10-23-2003, 08:51 AM

Same thing here pulling/pain on the right side, by the incision. I was all worried that i pulled something or tore something - i feel better now. lol
Unread 10-23-2003, 12:12 PM

Hi Tilly

Did you have your ovaries out? It coud be that your ovaries are touching a nerve, and the nerve pain is refferring down into your hip .. I had this kind of pain before the operation... 15 mins of walking and the pain was unbearable.

Go and have a word with your GP (the helpful souls that they are!) and see if they know why .. it's worth a try! He might also give you a stronger painkiller.

Heres a to keep you going..Let me know how you get on

Toni
Unread 10-23-2003, 01:11 PM

I am also at 6 weeks post op and have the same exact pain and pulling on right side. My walks are getting longer and the longer they get the worse the pain. So, I will listen to my body and slow down My doctor said it is all apart of the healing process and it is a slow process so be patient! Easy for him to say
Unread 10-24-2003, 04:25 AM

Girlies

Thanks for all your notes & advice, after day of doing absolutely nothing I feel much better today.

Rang my GP but first appointment is 27OCT, so I'm planning a lazy weekend at home & I'm going to compile a list of questions reading for doc next week.

Toni... I kept my ovaries. Consultant said right ovary needed a lot of work due to endometrosis & cysts. Similary adjoining ligaments needed work, he insists pain is from sutures where they have stitched through nerves and will decrease in time.

Hugs

Tilly
X
Unread 10-24-2003, 06:12 AM

I, too, am experiencing that low rt sided burning pain. I am 3 weeks post op now, but I started having that pain while I was still in the hospital. They kept telling me it was just gas pain, but I knew they were wrong.

I had similar pain 10 yrs ago when I had a laparotomy. What finally helped was doing very gentle isolation exercises of the hips/pelvis; same ones I do for belydancing warmup exercises just not going for full extension. After a week of doing 5-10 minutes of isolation exercises ech day, I felt a whole lot less pain.

It is very reassuring to know that this is a normal part of the healing process.

Sharon
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:28 AM

Tilly,

I am 5 weeks post op had tah/bso ovaries gone. The third day I was home from the hospital I started with a severe pain/burning
on the right side of my pubic area. Felt like someone burning my skin with a match. It was worse than the surgery itself. Back to the hospital that week for a c/s they found nothing. It brought me to tears. Was bed bound for quite a few days could not even lift my legs off the floor to get into to bed. They also related it to nerve problems because of the surgery and being so swollen inside. It does go away just give it time.

Just take is easy and rest, rest, rest.
Lois

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register