patches wont stick | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

patches wont stick patches wont stick

Unread 10-24-2003, 10:38 AM
patches wont stick

stupid estradiol patches stick about 3 days before falling off.....doc said to try name brand instead of generic (more expensive of course!!!).......can you cut the things in half? since they fall off after about 3 day i wondered if you could put half on then the other half on in 3-4 days...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2003, 11:21 AM
patches wont stick

I had the same problem when I used the birthcontrol patch. As far as cutting your patch.....I would NOT recommend that. Youd need to ask your doctor that one. If its anything like the birth control patch it is necessary for the patch to be adhered to the skin 100% in order to provide its 100% doseage effectiveness. I tolerated the birthcontrol patch for two months and had to switch back to the pill because it was too worrisome for me to wonder all day/every day if it was stuck all the way.

Heres what I did to try and help my patch stick better....

I would apply it after taking a shower. Id pick an area where my skin didnt stretch much or crease and a place where my clothes wouldnt rub on it. Then Id clean the area as if I were Obsessive Compulsive about it....and THEN I would clean the area with rubbing alcohol. Have you ever seen Jack Nicholson in "AS GOOD AS IT GETS" when hes washing his hands with multiple new bars of glycerine soap in scalding hot water?? Thats what I felt like doing my ritual. The method to my madness was to eliminate every bit of oils from my skin in that area so they wouldnt cause the sticky stuff to lift. Then Id let it dry completely ...and then apply the patch. I became very anal about how I applied the patch because it was such a battle to keep it on. It did help to do these aggrevating things. While the patch was on Id be extra careful to not scrub the area in the shower, you never apply lotions over the patch. Id pat it dry and then Id wear something snug over it to hold it close to my body. Sometimes when the edges peel up in the shower it only takes about 15 minutes of pressure to stick again.

Needless to say.....it became so annoying putting so much effort and thought in to it that I had to go back to the pill. The patch method doesnt work for me.
Unread 10-24-2003, 11:24 AM
patches wont stick

I insist on the name brand (I don't know which kind you're using but I have Vivelle.dot). With my medical insurance it's $20/mo. instead of $10 but worth it to me. DON'T cut the patches in half. It reduces their effectiveness and even says on the pamphlet enclosed in the box mine come in that you should not cut them. Also, when you put them on make sure the area is dry and cool. Wait a few minutes after you have taken a shower or change the patch before you take one. I smoothed some Jergens lotion on my stomach once a while before changing my patch, forgot I had done it, and it definitely didn't stick well.

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2003, 01:59 PM
patches wont stick

I also had problems with the generic staying on and got the name brand instead.....no problems with sticking.
Unread 10-24-2003, 04:10 PM
I can give you some help on this>patches falling off!

You did make me smile through tears as this is exactly what happens to me.Anyway, the one patch that works great is called FEMSEVEN it is supposed to last for a week but is wriggling and wrinkling on the 2nd day.Because of this I tried other brands but theywere no good for me.Anyway this is what my Gynaecologist and I have worked out,(my hormone leves were very low in a blood test),I wipe the area with surgical spirit and leave to dry,then put on a FEMSEVEN100 patch,I tape the edges on with surgical tape, and sometimes I go straight across the middle with a band of tape.This lasts fine for 4-5days then it loses potency and by this time is usually unstuck --only the tape is holding it on.To get over this weak period I use a smaller FEMSEVEN 50 patch and tape that on the edges in the same way.By sticking to this regime I do not get the "down" days when the potency of the larger dose patch is weak or finished. What the good Doc says is that you must not cut the patches ever,but he does not believe that they can work as good as the literature says every day for a week.Very few of us who have had the ovaries removed have good levels of hormones in our blood,so we cannot reallly overdose and anyway the symptoms for that will be Breast tenderness,water retention,headaches etc.I have none of these on the above regime.The patches I use are poor stickers but they do work unlike ones that I tried that Did stick but did not work.Hope this helps,At least we will keep the tape manufacturers happy!! :~))
Unread 10-24-2003, 04:33 PM
patches wont stick

when i tried using paper tape to keep the stupid thing on, it got water under it, leaving me with a lovely round red rash on my a**..........you have to laugh sometimes.......HOW can they sell a product that doesnt do what it says (its a stick on patch that loses its stick-on-ness!!!)....argh!!!...lol....good luck all!
Unread 10-24-2003, 04:49 PM
patches wont stick

Hi,Don't use the paper tape buy the stretchy one with "air holes" and make sure you go well over the width.I have found that the patches need to be on my abdomen to work the best,in the centre or either side,but they do not work on my ***or on my hips. You have to laugh at us all with these patches.Perhaps if the men had to wear them they would get the adhesion correct!!
God bless, we are all in this together,no one is alone.
Unread 10-25-2003, 07:07 AM
patches wont stick

I had problems with the generic patch, too. It started coming off after the first day. The ladies here recommended the Vivelle dot. I called my insurance company, and they cover all but $15/month. It's wonderful and stays put. If you have some prescription coverage, I would give this a try. It is also more clear, and smaller.
Unread 10-25-2003, 11:50 AM
About the free health service in GB and HRT.

Hi just to let you know I am in Great Britain not the USA.The patches I use are not generic, they are called Femseven,but in GB we do not have to pay for any medication at all,nobody does,although I did opt to go privately for my Hyst etc,I can have any surgery I need done free of any charges whatsoever in the UK, even immigrants can over here (This is why they all flood into GB!) but you have to share a hospital room etc., and share the bathrooms etc.I like my privacy so I pay.However I have switched back to the free treatment now for the follow ups to the HRT treatment and I still get to see the same Gynaecologist that performed my surgery privately.The surgeons over here work for the National health service and the Private sector-- GB does dole out a lot of generic tablets now on the free health service but my patches are not generic but brand named,They are called FEMSEVEN made my a company called Merck, we cannot get Vivelle over here at all.As far as I know in GB they do not use any generic patches at all,we can choose what we want.The HRT and menopause clinics are rapidly improving over here now after being dormant like in most of Europe ( don't quote me on this!!)any woman on the menopause,that is even those without surgery can have free HRT,but it is up to each family Doctor whether or not they will approve the treatment.My own family Doctors are all for HRT,but that is just one locality in GB.
Unread 10-25-2003, 04:15 PM
patches wont stick

We don't get it that free ... to all our sisters all over the world we have to contribute monthly (on a Taxation basis), but I also go privately for all my medical care .. and we even get taxed on the pleasure of going private .. TYPICAL !!! I have to say my private hospital was fab ... they are all single rooms with en-suites ... it was heaven (no old lady snoring and keeping me awake all night!).. Although, the wards in our NHS hospitals range from 6 to 20 beds per ward .. no privacy (apart from a bed curtain) and 1 bathroom ...

Amos : I have to pay the NHS charge (about £6.50 ?) for my HRT - do you get yours free .. if yes, can you tell me how ... I'm going to be paying this money for each time I get a prescription over at least the next 20 years, if not longer.....

Also, if there are any gals out there in the UK .. Tesco's pharmacy hand out the 'normal/original/trade' brands rather than the generic competitors.

I am on Estraderm, made by Ciba, and I have to be honest, I haven't really had a problem .. if it comes of in the bath, I just pop it on when I get out, and it resticks, without any problem ... I might by some tape ... just in case !!!

Thanks

Toni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register