Citrate of Magnesia effects? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Citrate of Magnesia effects? Citrate of Magnesia effects?

Unread 10-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Citrate of Magnesia effects?

OK heres that yucky topic again......

I am instructed that I can eat three light meals the day before my surgery, no food or drink after midnight. I am also to drink 8 oz of Citrate of Magnesia the day before my surgery but there is no time of day to do that specified. The bottle instructions say it will take effect anywhere from 30 mins to 6 hours.

Can anyone who has done this before PLEASE tell me how long it took for this stuff to take effect and how long it takes till its pretty much be done doing its thing???

Has anyone just done a liquid diet one or two days before surgery and did it help this Citrate of Magnesia do its job faster and easier????

ALSO....how does this stuff work?? Is it terrible and embarrassing or does it work gently and calmly?? LOL Does it clean you out quickly or does it take hours??

Ive given my boyfriend orders to be gone until midnight that day because Im so embarrassed of what I may be going thru. I want to PLAN when I take it so I know I will be back to a girly-girl when he gets home. We've dated just over a year and hes very supportive of me.....but Im not ready to surrender all of my private moments just yet. Any experiences with this ""COCKTAIL"" would be appreciated immensely!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2003, 12:21 PM

I've used that bowel prep for a colonscopy. It's not too bad. It doesn't taste great but not the worst thing I've had to swallow.

It took about 1/2 hour to work on me and lasted for about 4 hours. I didn't do the clear liquid diet before but my doctor tells me that the clear diet is a starting step to cleansing the bowel. That way there won't be so much stuff to come out.

I'm doing the golytely this time and the clear diet the day before.

If I were you, I'd start in the early to mid afternoon so that you can get to bed at a decent hour, that's supposing that you can sleep the day before.

BTW - I'm scheduled for the same day as you. Good luck.

CB
Unread 10-24-2003, 12:48 PM

Mine says its a lemon flavored effervescent beverino...LOL UGHHH I am dreading this. Im having my hair done in the morning and I'll be sipping my "cocktail" on the way home. UGHH

Do you know what the difference is between the Cit of Mag and the stuff youre going to take?? Do you know if one os better than the other??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2003, 01:04 PM

I did the citrate of magnesium two weeks ago. It was AWFUL!! It made me very sick to my stomach, I had to spend most of the day laying down so that I wouldn't throw it up. I didn't want to have to drink any more of it. My stomach started rumbling within a half an hour and I started going within an hour. I went a lot, but it wasn't like making a run for the toilet. I was still going the next morning before my surgery. I drank it at noon the day before my surgery.

Good luck and hold your breath when you drink it! Mine was cherry flavored. It's very salty, like flavored Alka Seltzer.

Mary Ellen
Unread 10-24-2003, 01:26 PM

NO!! NOOOO!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:::::::banging head on laptop::::::::

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I DONT WANNNNNNAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

>temper tantrum<
Unread 10-24-2003, 02:43 PM

Okay, I feel better knowing I won't be running to the toilet like the guy on "Dumb and Dumber" who was actually holding his butt I'm scheduled for next Wednesday and based on the great advice given I think I'll do liquid diet on Monday and start the comet cleanser noonish on Tuesday...those last 5 stubborn pounds will be gone ... even if temporarily.

Good luck and God Bless you on your upcoming surgery.
Unread 10-24-2003, 05:16 PM

Hi I too had a LSH. Absolutely the best way to have a hyster if you can get it. Mine was on 9-30-03.I am 3 1/2 weeks post and really feel great. I also had to do the cit of mag. My suggestion is to get the lemon flavored one and mix it half and half with cold Sprite. It really isn't too bad. When I took mine it was between 6:30 and 7 pm and it started to work slowly. I would definately suggest to take it earlier if possible. I had to go out of town to have my surgery done so that was the earliest I could take mine. I only went twice and thought I was done. But it really started to work at about midnight. I was up on and off all night. I would feel the need to go and head to the bathroom and spend about 30 min in there and then head back to bed and spend about 30 min there and then it would be back to the potty again. One thing you may want to think about buying is adult "wipes". Since you will be wiping so much they may help prevent a sore bottom. It was still working in the morning, but the doc said not to worry. I was nervous before I took it and REALLY didn't want to, but I did and survived. I'm sure you will too. Good Luck
Unread 10-24-2003, 07:09 PM

kmcisme.....

I already have the lemon flavored one. Ive had to drink some awful things while I was weight training. I usually mix yucky stuff with Crystal Light lemonade. So I'll make sure I have some available. Im thinking about just doing a liquid diet the day before. Did you do this?? Im thinking it will be easy and ""LESS EVENTFUL"" if ya know what I mean...heh.

I think Im just going to do this stuff early like at noon. I cant be running to the bathroom in the middle of the night before surgery....uggh. Not to mention my bathroom is in my bedroom and Id die if my boyfriend had to hear me in there. ::embarrassed::
Unread 10-24-2003, 07:42 PM
RE: Citrate of magesium

Hi again Feistybabyblues.....I didn't have to drink that stuff for my Hyst. but I did for my breast reduction a few years ago. I got the lemon flavored one and I thought it was horrible! (Sorry). Very salty and tart. I started it about 5:00 the night before surgery and started going to the bathroom pretty quickly! It was very loose, (sorry for the graphics) and I went about 6 times before bed. Then again twice in the morning. By then...I was ALL cleared out! But you will get through it! Don't worry! I did go on clear liquids the day before surgery though and actually ate pretty light the whole week before. It just helps to have less in bulk in your bowels, I guess. You will be fine. Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 10-24-2003, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the input. ARGGG Im just gonna have to grin and bear it I suppose. :sigh: I think I am more afraid of the cit mag than the actual surgery..lol.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register