Symptoms Before Diagnosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Symptoms Before Diagnosis? Symptoms Before Diagnosis?

Unread 10-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Symptoms Before Diagnosis?

I'm just curious. How did you all find out you had cancer of the uterus?

Did you have symptoms that made you go to a doctor to have them checked out?

Or from an abnormal Pap test that led to biopsy?

Or other?

Nancy *in waiting for Monday TAH/BSO*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2003, 09:21 PM

Hi Nancy,
I had very heavy and prolonged periods. I went to several doctors over many years and none thought the problem serious enough to do anything about it. They all said if I would lose some weight I would have normal periods. I finally found a doctor who, with a lot of insistence on my part, did a little more investigating and found some small fibroids. At first he wasn't going to remove them, but I was quite insistent. I just had this nagging feeling that something was really wrong with me. He removed the fibroids, did a D&C, and the biopsy came back uterine cancer. The doc was shocked, but I wasn't. I just knew it was more than some small fibroids or my weight. I had a TAH/BSO on Sept 24 and do not need any further treatment. The final path report was grade 1 stage 1. From my reading after the fact, I don't think heavy or prolonged periods usually signifies uterine cancer. The main symptom that I've been able to find is spotting between periods, and I only had that one time (Feb-Mar).
Hope this helps.
Linda
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:37 PM

Sounds to me like you had a little inner voice telling you to check it out further. Thank God! I'm so glad you did.

I had very heavy periods with fairly large clotting for about a year, but always regular just like clockwork every 28 days to the day.....lasting seven days and stopping. Then I started skipping periods, getting hot flashes, etc. Then the periods stopped last November and I thought I was homefree.

I guess I am just trying to reassure myself that perhaps this was caught early.

I just can't think of anything else that would have alerted me to this any early than this pap test did.

I always knew when I was ovulating....always. Had pain for about two days and it would stop immediately, I guess when the egg released. Doctors told me that was very common in women of German descent (which I am along with many others). Had a name for it....mennesnitzel something.
I'm wondering now if that could have been something else, but it sure made sense at the time.

nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Hi Nancy -

No symptoms here - except for a strange bleeding incident back in May. I was seeing a urologist for a bladder problem and he said my uterus was prolapsed. Went to the GYN who said it wasn't - so I decided to get a second opinion. Based on my family cancer history and the bleeding incident the new GYN did a uterine biopsy - and the rest is history. I had been having abdominal pain which I attributed to the bladder issue - but I too had a nagging feeling that something was wrong - so the diagnosis was almost a relief. Something they could identify and 'fix'.
Jan
Unread 10-25-2003, 05:19 AM

Nancy--

I was extremely healthy, but at 51 my periods started becoming irregular and I experienced some intermittent minor spotting between periods along with occasional watery discharge. I thought I was just entering menopause and so did the gyn. She was more shocked than I was when it turned out to be cancer. Luckily, because I had both an endobiopsy and pap showing adenocarcinoma, and she wasn't sure if I had endometrial cancer as well as cervical cancer, she referred me to a gynecologic oncologist who I had do my surgery.

As it turns out, I did not have cervical cancer, but I ended up needing radiation because my tumor was deeply invasive into the myometrium and I had several other risk factors for recurrence. I received great treatment and have had no evidence of disease recurrence for more than four years.

Good luck.

MoeKay
Unread 10-25-2003, 08:26 AM
symptoms

I had symptoms similar to yours. I'm 50 and had been going through menopause for sometime. I hadn't had a period in 9 months.. and before that 8 months.. so, after years of very regular, normal (painful) periods I thought I was just finally "there". Glad to be past that. I then had a gusher out of the blue. It was weird, unlike anything I'd ever had before and after the initial huge gush, clots etc. it just seemed to hang around. I finally went to my doc after about 8 weeks of this dwindling period. She sort of agreed that it was just the usual menopausal things but to be safe took a blood test to see if I was I was there and ordered an ultra sound. From the ultra sound and blood test, the thickening of the endometrial lining that showed up shouldn't have been thick. She then sent me for a biopsy and I think she was pretty surprised. The gyn I had gone to for the biopsy wasn't so surprised but was very confident that it would turn out ok. She was right. She told me that I was the one who "saved my life" by getting to the doc. when I did. I hope your's turns out just as good... good luck.
Unread 10-27-2003, 03:51 PM

I was having severe abdominal pain which after laparoscopy found out was ovarian. Paps came back normal. Pathology from TAH BSO showed uterine, cervical & ovarian cancers. 2 years post-op & now have vulva cancer spreading to lymph nodes.
Unread 10-31-2003, 04:05 AM

I had a D&C in 1994 because of constant bleeding in the 2 weeks leading up to my period. I was clear of cancer then, but was told I had hyperplasia (overgrowth of the lining of the womb) and that the D&C might, or might not, clear it up. I wasn't given any follow-up checks, although I strongly believe that I should have been.

Some time in 1995 or 96, I lost a tiny bit of blood in mucous and thought that the hyperplasia was probably coming back. From then on I would have this happen to me very occasionally, months and months apart - just a tiny bit of blood in mucous on the toilet paper when I wiped myself. Every time I thought it was just the hyperplasia coming back.

In the spring of 2001 there was one occasion when the bleeding was a little worse than normal, so as I was due to have a smear I had one done that June.This had to be repeated as I bled quite a bit when the test was done (and, in fact, for ten days afterwards!). At that point, I realised something was wrong and went to see my doctor. He referred me to the hospital and I got an appointment - for the end of October! However, the 2nd smear was taken without any bleeding and came back clear and when the problem went away completely for several months, I stopped worrying - and in fact postponed the hospital appointment because it coincided with my daughter's 21st birthday!

I eventually went to the hospital in January 2002 - still convinced that nothing was wrong! They took some cells from my womb to test - and I was called back a week later to be told that I had cancer. I had a TAH that March and the cancer turned out to be Grade 1, Stage 1.

Chris.
Unread 10-31-2003, 07:09 AM

I just wanted to go to the bathroom a lot. Four or five times a night. After putting up with it for two nights i went to the dr who said i had a kidney infection!! so got in touch with my gyne and, as they say, the rest is history. Good luck with your operation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register