Please help calm me down! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help calm me down! Please help calm me down!

Unread 10-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Please help calm me down!

I am not sure where to post, but I know that Surferbabe told me before that there was alot of information on this side in regards to Diverticulitis. So I hope it is okay that I posted over on this side.

My family doctor suspects that I have Diverticulitis, I have been having pain on and off on my left side for over a month (it is a nawing aching pain with sometimes a stabbing throbbing pain). I have had problems with going to the bathroom #2, sometimes I am going as much as 6 times a day or more. My stool is seems to be very thin and ribbon like. I have lost 10 pounds in about 2 weeks. My doctor tried me on antibiotics but they did not seem to help with the problem. The pain did get better but then returned and the bathroom issue has not improved. So I went and saw my family doctor on Thursday. She stated that she was going to refure me to a gastro doctor for a colonoscopy and was setting me up for a consoltation and that I would receive a letter from the gastro doctor in the mail prior to my consoltation on 10/30.

Here is the big kicker. I just recieved that letter and it states that I am schedualed for the colonoscopy 10/30 at 0800. This is freaking me out big time!!! My boss is expecting me back at work by 0830 because my appointment was so post to befor 0700 and we are extreamly short staffed that day.

I know it is important that I have this done, but I know nothing about this procedure. No one has explained anything to me. I don't even quit know what they are looking for.

Sometimes I feel ok and then other times I feel like crap. DH took me out for dinner last night and I was sick for the 2 hours afterwords in the bathroom. I felt like I was going to expload inside. I almost made DH take me to the ER.

My mom freaked me out my telling me my grandfather almost died when he was in his early 30's from polyps, he had some sort of bad infection and his colon almost bursted or did burst. She does not quit remember because she was like 7 or 8.

I had been having problems on and off prior to my LAVH for about 6months and alwasy thought it was my endo, but never as bad as they have been for the last few weeks and never the small thin ribbon like stool or weight loss.

Can anyone explain what I should expect? Will I be able to go back to work on Friday? What will they be looking for? Sorry but I am 26 and scared and I want all this to end.

I feel like I am impossing on my DH way to much. He too now has to take off another day of work for me. Most of his vaccation time this year has gone for taking care of me and doctors appointments. I am also afraid work is going to have a bit of a fit.

Sweety Tweety
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 01:48 PM

{{{{{{{{Sweetey}}}}}} Calm down hun! If you are asking about a colonoscopy.............it is not that bad. The prep to clean you out so they can view the intestines is the worst of it. You are given something and you are totally unaware during the actual procedure. This test is done to rule out any intestinal diseases. You will feel tired that day but will be able to go to work the next day. Please get in touch with the gastro doctor for more info. From what you have described here, I highly doubt if you have diverticulitis because the anti biotics would have helped. Please don't get me wrong and I am NOT a doctor but you sound just like me when I was diagnosed with IBS(irritable bowel syndrome). The pain, diarrhea and ribbon-like stools are classic symptoms. I was a mess for months until I was finally diagnosed. Please feel free to email me and I will try and help. Again check with the gastro doc and good luck with the colonoscopy. If they find nothing, more than likely it will be IBS. Colonoscopies cannot diagnose this condition but it will rule out anything else.

Emily s
Unread 10-25-2003, 01:52 PM

I have only had a sigmoidoscopy. I don't think you should plan on going to work that day. They give you meds that make you sleepy for one thing.... and I found that after the sigmoidoscopy I had pretty bad gas pains the rest of the day from the procedure... so all I could do was lay down or else the gas pains would become unbearable.

I hope everything works out OK for you.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Hugs

hi,
I'm so sorry for your pain and bowel problems. I was diagnosed with IBS and also Diverticulosis, following a colonoscopy. I had 2 bouts of bad Diverticulitis (that is when it becomes infected), one of which I was hospitalized for. Antibiotics and a liquid diet help diverticulitis. Did they test to see if your white blood cell count is up? It usually is with diverticulitis. So I can see why some may think it is more IBs related. First of all, you do need to have the colonoscopy so you can find out what is going on. Don't plan to work that day. And yes, the prep is the worst part. You may have gas and some pain afterward, but in general it is not that bad for most people. Call your doctor and ask about your prep. I know how you feel about missing work and your DH too. Mine has gone through everything with me and it;'s hard not te feel bad. Your health is important though. I'm missing 4-6 weeks of work now because of having my ovary removed and I'm very upset about it. But you have to get better. Let us know how you are doing.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Druid
Unread 10-25-2003, 04:10 PM

(((Sweety Tweety)))
Please call your on Monday and ask more info about your colonscopy. They should have at the very least called you to inform you of the date and given you verbal and written instructions. That said, I've had several colonscopies and the procedure itself wasn't too bad. As Emily said, the prep is the usually the worst part of the test. Your bowels need to be totally cleaned out and you are usually on a clear liquid diet the day before. The evening before the test you usually have to start drinking a prep called Golytley, it is a powder that you mix with water. You have to drink 4-8oz approximately every 10 minutes. Within an hour or so you should begin to have bowel movements.

The day of the test you are usually given a mild sedative, sometimes they even knock you out and you will feel nothing. I have had it done both ways. Sometimes I have been mildly aware of what is going on and at other times I awoke and the test was over. Basically they insert a scope thru your rectum and are looking for abnormalities. If you do have polyps, they may remove them at this time.

While you probably won't be able to return to work that day, due to the meds and sedatives used, you should be okay to return to work the following day.

I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Reading your post is like reading my story. Many times I eat and I get sick. My stools are often ribbonlike or I have diarrhea. I have found out that I have allergies to alot of different foods, but basically there is nothing seriously wrong with me. Well, it is serious in that I am in pain and have abnormal bowel movements and lots of swelling, but what I am trying to say is that it is not something that is life threatening.

Unread 10-25-2003, 04:35 PM

Hi Sweety,
I agree with the rest of the ladies please call the doctor. Make sure you write down what ever questions you want to ask before you call and have the questions in front of you. I have neve had a colonoscopy but I know they will be sending me within the year, if for nothing else because of my medical history this past year and my age. I too am nervous but when the time comes I'll do it.

I understand about work and your dh having to take time off for all your appointments, ditto here I work in a small office too. I guess we just need to concentrate on feeling better and getting whatever test is needed. The work and all will eventually fall into place, take care of yourself.

Keep posted on how your doing
Unread 10-26-2003, 07:33 AM

Hi,

I just recently had a colonoscopy. You will need someone to drive you home. In my case I was out for the procedure & I had terrible gas pains for a couple of days afterwards. You will be tired & need to rest after the procedure. You should receive written instructions to prepare you for all this. It is totally unreasonable for your employer to expect you to return to work that day. Just remember that most employers are thinking of their benefit & not yours. If you ruin your health to please them believe me you will not as much as get a thank you from them let alone flowers at your funeral. Sorry to be so harsh but when I hear how heartless many employers are it hits a nerve in me.

God Bless,
Terry
Unread 10-27-2003, 06:21 PM

I called my family doctors office back this morning and spoke with the nurse, she had the doctor call me back. Well it turns out that I am scheduled for the colonoscope on Thursday. MY family doctor said that she did not know that they did not do consolations first her in WI, that when she lived in CO they do things diffrently. She also said that when she called and spoke with the Gastro doctor he felt it was important to get this checked out as soon as possible.

She also appoligized for not explaining things better saying that she thought that I would have a consoltation. She even offered to talk to my boss if she had any problems with me taking that hole day off. I went to my boss and explained the situation and appologized that I did not give her much advance notice and explained to her that my doctor did not realize that this was going to happen so fast and if she had any questions she would call her. She told me that she would find coverage for my desk and that I would need to take a vaccation day for that day.

Kind of stinks to have to use vaccation for this but at least I will not have to go back to work afterwords.

Can anyone tell me how long it will take to get the results back? She stated that it may take 3-5 days to find out what the Gastro doctor saw. Is this about right or will does the doctor normally discuse what they saw with you afterwords?

Thanks,
Sweety Tweety
Unread 10-27-2003, 06:34 PM

Sweety,
My experience has been that the usually does not discuss anything with you until a follow up appointment. I either woke up in a recovery room or was led to another room to lay down by the nurse. At least in my case I was so out of it that I probably wouldn't have understood anyways. I usually had an appointment already set up for the following week to discuss the results.

Good luck!
Unread 10-28-2003, 01:32 AM

Hi (((Sweety))) how are you feeling this week? Has the pain subsided any? Are you still on the antibiotics? Are you having fevers?

I am very, very concerned about your having a colonoscopy so soon when you're having an active infection. Can you do yourself one more little favor, and call the gastro's office and ask them if they are aware that you may have an active diverticulitis infection and ask them if they feel it is OK to do the colonoscopy when it hasn't resolved yet? It's just a quick call and I know I will feel soooo much better knowing that they are fully aware of your situation. If, knowing the whole scenario, they want to go ahead, then that is their call. But you have mentioned before that your DR has trouble communicating, and I fear that the details of your case may not have been conveyed to the gastro's office.

About the colonoscopy... really I did not mind when I had mine. As was stated before, the prep was the worst part. I was sedated and somewhat aware of what was going on, I just didn't care. In my case as soon as I woke up the DR came in and told me he was unable to complete the colonoscopy and he was sending me over for a barium enema, appointment in an hour. He also told me at that time that as far as he was able to go (sigmoid), he didn't see any trouble... so the next appointment I had with him was to discuss the barium enema, not the colonoscopy.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another colonoscopy if the DRs requested it (though it's not real likely now because I don't have a whole lot of colon left ). Though I might consider asking if there is some other prep that doesn't taste quite so yucky! (I had the Fleet Phospho Soda.)

I hope you're feeling better soon!

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register