food, glorious food? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

food, glorious food? food, glorious food?

Unread 10-25-2003, 06:17 PM
food, glorious food?

In preparing for the big event, the question of what kinds of food/drink to have ready and waiting at home comes up. I'm having some repair work done in the area...you know...so I'm thinking that softie kinds of food would be best. Then, I also have read that I'll need fiber, like fruits and veggies, but these are rarely soft...So, what are you stocking up on? Since my surgery is a week before Thanksgiving, I'm hoping to at least be able to go for the mashed potatoes!
If you are already a princess, what was the best food and drink for the first few weeks? If you're a LIW, what have you been told?
Thanks a bunch,
miniroadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 06:24 PM
food, glorious food?

Hi!

It takes a few days to get much of an appetite.

Some good things to have on hand: Jell-O, Gatorade, lots of juice, Yogurt, Popsicles to stave off the thirst. Plenty of no-preparation foods on hand, like fruit, soup, cereal, snack bars, etc.

Also maybe some kind of protein beverege like slim fast or ensure. When you don't feel like eating anything at least you can drink one of the shakes and you will be getting nutrition from them.

Best wishes!
Unread 10-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Food

Hi miniroadster
The first few day's I didn't have a appitite, so I drank Ensure and ate bananas for the vitamins and protein I needed ....Then
I started eating the foods I ate, before my surgery after a few day. But I ate them in small amounts, the food didn't really have a taste. Also I just wasn't that hungery, I was bloated from the surgery. By the second week, I was eating everything in site ..
It's whatever you can keep in or down ...~~
Enjoli

~*Mary B*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 06:37 PM
I'm 4 days post-op, and don't have much appetite yet . . .

so I'm going for bland foods. So far I'm into yogurt, applesauce, pudding, soup, toast, etc. I thought I was craving pasta last night, so my mom whipped some up. I sat down to eat it, and just about barfed . . . reminded me of my pregnancies days. I've had a bit of nausea (pain meds??), though, so that may be part of my problem, too.

I'd stick to the bland stuff the first week, and work up to Mexican later down the recovery road.

Kim
Unread 10-25-2003, 07:46 PM
food, glorious food?

Mindroadster,

I stayed in the hospital for two nights, and the first night could not eat. My popsicle cam back up. The next day it was soft foods. I was discharged on a normal diet. I went to the pharmacy to pick up medicine and had McDonalds. So I ate fine. I do think that maybe softer foods are a good idea until those first couple of bowel movements. It took me a week to have that first bowel movement. I think you'll be ready to eat regular Thanksgiving dinner, if not...surely pumpkin pie and potatoes!

Best wishes
Unread 10-25-2003, 07:58 PM
food, glorious food?

And put up some of your families fabvoirites in the freezer-so they can eat

My bet is ny thanksgiving you will be able to eat a little of everything- Just not as much as you used to-so nibble your favorites first.....too bad if its the pies....have them first too-

hmmmmmI see a new family tradition starting......

Dilu
Unread 10-26-2003, 12:59 AM
food, glorious food?

I had a reaction to morphine, so I spent all four days in the castle throwing up! Once I got home, I was fine and found myself craving protein -- meat and eggs were tops on my list. I'm supposing this was because the body needs protein to heal. I also craved fruit, but only certain kinds (plums but not apples). Fortunately a friend moved in with me for the week after surgery and we had already decided not to stock up until I got home to see what I was craving. Most of the things I stocked up on before the surgery (like Ensure) I've ended up not using.

Kathie
Unread 10-26-2003, 01:34 AM
food, glorious food?

I've had a few surgeries and I'm not really sure about soft foods although fruits should be ok as long as they are soft, not like apples. You do need fiber, and you also should keep it really mild, no spicy. Gentle is the key. Remember to chew your food really well as well. I don't know if you own a blender but you might try getting some recipies for smoothies, you can add fiber into those and live on the smooth stuff. I have a lot of soup and I am taking stool softeners now to get my bowels nice and loose to reduce the effects of the meds during surgery. You can also ask your doctor for something like that.
Unread 10-27-2003, 08:32 AM
food, glorious food?

I had a lot of "soft" foods - very ripe fruit, poached or grilled fish, steamed veggies, and lots and lots of liquids... almost zero red meat.
My big concern was constipation -- if you have the same concern you might want to avoid bananas as they are generally considered a "binder".

My appetite went up and down over the first couple of weeks, but I was never really ferociously hungry,... I'm still not, though I'm eating well (3 months later)..... and as an unexpected benefit from this surgery I've actually lost about 15 lbs now (even went on vacation and didn't gain weight... that has to be a first!!!)
Unread 10-27-2003, 10:40 AM
food, glorious food?

I had an LAVH and was given a full meal at dinner that night. I didn't eat a lot of it but I was hungry - never had nausea or anything else.

I did try to eat extra protein to help healing and plenty of fresh veggies and fruit. And I made sure to take a daily multivitamin. I didn't really see much change in my appetite one way or the other. Had one bad day of gas and such but otherwise, no real problems - just the usual.

Clearly, I am in the minority - so just take it slow and see what you feel like eating. There's no reason NOT to eat anything you feel like eating, that I know of anyway.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register