did i forget anything? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

did i forget anything? did i forget anything?

Unread 10-26-2003, 07:32 PM
did i forget anything?

after 4 days of being in bed in pain, i felt better today so i decided to get everything i need to take to the castle and for afterwards, i got 2 large night gowns, 1 pair of silk pijama pants
for home, lip balm, caugh drops,eye mask, 5 extra large panties,ear plugs and one big pillow......i dont know if i am missing anything???. also, while i was there i decided to do all my x-mas shopping since i don't know if i am going to be upto doing it before x-mas . i even came home and wrapped all the gifts, cleaned my closet and helped my daughter finish her science project.....i am trying really hard to stay busy and be as ready as possible to avoid any more stress at the last minute.
please let me know if i am forgetting anything to take to the castle, sometimes is hard to remember everything when you are under pressure.
thank you for all your help, you ladies are great!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2003, 07:38 PM
did i forget anything?

Hi,

Here's what I took with me for my trip to the castle and what I actually used. Maybe it will give you some ideas of what else you might want to add.

What I used:
My own pillow - a must!!!
Tummy pillow - another must!!!
Gown and robe - nice to change into when you're feeling better
Slippers - a must!!
Cotton granny panties - two sizes larger than what I wear
(I wore home what I wore to the castle, a loose jumper and slip-on shoes.)
Chapstick - your lips will be dry from the anesthesia
Baby Wipes - great for freshening up between showers
Sleep mask - helped block out the light when the nurses came in to check vital signs at midnight
Cosmetics - nice to put on when you're feeling better
Trial size toiletries - castle does provide, but I like my own stuff
Panty liners - I took them, but only used a pad that the hospital provided, and after the first couple of hours, I didn't need anything. (And haven't needed one since!)
Candy for nurses (they loved it!)
My own pain med for my migraines. Only one thing works, and I wanted it with me - just in case! (NOTE: Be sure to check with your doctor and hospital before taking any medications to the hospital with you. They must know what, if anything you are taking!)
My driver's license, insurance card, and check for the hospital. Do NOT take valuables or purse, they can sprout legs and wander off.

I took, but did not use:
Magazines and book - I slept for two whole days, so couldn't have concentrated on reading if I'd tried
Backscratcher - Didn't need it
Socks - Didn't need them

I also bought one of those inexpensive ($10) small rolling suitcases (pilot's cases) at Walmart. It was wonderful, didn't have to carry it, just popped up the handle and took off and it held everything I needed perfectly.

Also, very, very important - for home don't forget the GAS-X and stool softners. You might also want to stock up on cranberry and prune juice. Also soups and soft, bland foods which will go down better the first week or so.

It was a great idea to get your Christmas shopping out of the way ahead of time. There were several family birthdays coming up when I had my surgery, so I shopped for them and bought cards ahead of time and was glad I did!

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 10-26-2003, 08:09 PM
did i forget anything?

The only other thing that I brought (and used) that hasn't already been mentioned was my own Tummy Mint peppermint tea. It was very soothing when I wanted a variation from all of the water. The nurse also told me that hot tea also helps gets things moving after anesthesia. I would just substitute my own tea bag for whatever tea they brought in with my meals. Nurses will also offer to bring you beverages and I just asked for hot water on occasion.

(Remember to be really nice to the nurses, because they can be your "best friends" after surgery .... I ended up with a few gems who shared with me their own success stories from their hysterectomies!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2003, 08:09 PM
did i forget anything?

Hi Alex,

The items I was most happy to have with me were my slippers and my robe. The halls were cold, I would have froze if I didn't have my robe. I brought a night gown with me, just incase, but I never ended up wearing it. The first day after surgery I only wore 1 hospital gown, it was easier to get in and out of bed without the second gown gathering around my butt. After the first day I wore the two hospital gowns, it was just easier to put on and take off with my IV's.

Good luck with your surgery!!

Mary Ellen
Unread 10-26-2003, 08:39 PM
did i forget anything?

I have to second the gas-x thing, that was one of the worse things after my previous surgeries, the horrable gas pains. I don't know if that goes along with the TAH or if it is just a laproscopic or vaginal thing. I think I will also take up the advice to bring tea, that does tend to be soothing but I don't like regular tea it just is too watery, so I like the mint tea which is also supposed to be soothing.
Unread 10-26-2003, 08:59 PM
did i forget anything?

Remember to have those slippers be slip-ons. You will not want to be trying to bend over to put them on. I was sure to have some lipstick near so I felt a little better when I did not look totaly washed out. I took a book but could not tell you anything about what I read. It was good to concentrate on when I was waiting for meds to kickin. Good luck, you are so prepared that it has to go just fine!

Tracey
Unread 10-27-2003, 12:13 AM
did i forget anything?

i took a change of clothes, a pair of rubber soled slippers, and my toothbrush/paste...the hospital provided anything else i may have needed which wasnt much.
Unread 10-27-2003, 05:05 AM
getting ready forthe castle

Hi, I too am getting ready to go to the castle. My date is Nov.14th . I have done my Christmas shopping, and they are wrapped. I have cleaned my display cabinets and my crystal chandelier in the dining room. Today I plan on washing down my kitchen cupboards. DH will start to shampoo the carpets. We are having Christmas as our house this year.

Next week I am going to make my own TV dinners, so that we have something nurishing to eat when I come home from the castle, and for a couple of weeks beyond. A final cleaning will be done a couple of days before my date. I have bought my Christmas cards too, but they won't get written until I get home.

I have been getting my bag ready as I go along and think of something. The idea of my own pillow and a tummy pillow is a very good idea. The hospital pillows are covered in vinyl underneath the pillow slip, and are a little hard to get comfortable on.

I think I do all this just to keep my hands and mind occupied on other things. I am very nervous about the surgery, although I know it is necessary. I think I am the biggest chicken alive.

Take care and good luck with your surgery.

Beate
Unread 10-27-2003, 05:36 AM
did i forget anything?

Another good reason for the pillow is the drive home. My sister laughed at me when we were leaving the hospital and she realized I had my own pillow with me. When I explained that if I didn't have the pillow I wouldn't be wearing a seat belt she understood. The advice I got here about the pillow was wonderful, any time I get into a car I have my pillow to help protect my tummy. So don't forget to bring one with you!!

Mary Ellen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register