Ovaries or NO ovaries: That is the question/DES Daughter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries or NO ovaries: That is the question/DES Daughter Ovaries or NO ovaries: That is the question/DES Daughter

Unread 10-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Ovaries or NO ovaries: That is the question/DES Daughter

Hello everyone.
I am scheduled for a TAH on 12/15/03 because of very large, fast-growing fibroid. (I am a DES Daughter and have a history of unusual fast-growing tissue in my reproductive areas. ) I am satisfied that the decision about having this surgery is good and possibly my quality of life will improve....back pain and heavy bleeding should cease.
I have to decide what to tell my surgeon about what to do relative to a bilateral oophorectomy if my ovaries are in good shape. She has promised to do whatever I instruct. Here are some of the variables that I am grabbling with...
1. I am 51 and NOT menopausal (not even peri-menopausal).
2. My mother had breast cancer at 64. Three close relatives on my father's side had breast or colon cancer.
3. I plan to live 50 more years.
4. I like my ovaries and the hormones they produce.
5. I fear losing my libido and other drastic changes from removal of my ovaries, even with low dosage HRT.
I'M CLEARLY CONFUSED but am soliciting more data in order to make the best possible decision. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2003, 09:55 PM

I think the first thing you need to do is ask your doctor about the different cancers that are related. By that I mean because someone had lung cancer it doesn't increase your chances of getting cervical cancer. That was just an example I can't say that for sure. You need to discuss all the different types of cancer in your family, with your doctor and ask whether or not those types increase your risk of ovarian cancer.

One of the biggest drawbacks to having a bilateral oopherectomy is going on horemone therapy, horemone therapy over a long period of time increases your risk of breast cancer and I think other cancers as well so you may be taking out the ovaries for with the wrong idea in mind.

Another problem with taking the ovaries is that HRT isn't the cure all. Many woman do wonderfully on it but it is really tough to figure out what you need what type to take and how often to take it. This is a long process and there are a lot of stresses in getting it right often.

I had one ovary removed quite a while ago and was told I have another one so I would be fine, but I did experience mood swings irregular periods and even hot flashes from time to time, so even with one ovary gone it was tough on me.

Now having said that I am having my hyst on Nov 3. I am 29 years old and I have a hystery of fibroid tumors and believed to have adhesions causing much pain on the right side and I have recurrant hemoragic cysts on my left ovary that often causes severe pain. My doctor asked me what I wanted her to do if she found that the ovary was healthy but she saw things that may be causing the pain and I told her to take it. I am too young to be experiencing pain like this and if we are going to do it we should do it all. I just have the feeling I would be back in within a few years anyway because of the intense pain my ovary causes me so why not take care of this now. i realize the risks and toubles associated, however I feel it is the lesser of two evils.

If you decide to keep the ovaries you should get your regular exams and keep a close eye for anything abnormal and they can always go back in probably through laproscope and remove your ovaries.

There has been some discussion here lately about whether to have healthy ovaries removed or not. The important thing is to remember it is your decision. You need to consider that your ovaries keep your horemones in ballance. Keeping them means you will likely feel the same as you did before surgery (with the exception of recovery of course). Removing them means you probably will go through many horemonal changes that you will need to work out as you go. Anyway I hope I was able to help a little. I think the first thing to do is find out what types of cancers are related and so whether any of your family histery would put you at risk for ovarian cancer.
Unread 10-26-2003, 10:22 PM
1bracha

Hi 1bracha,
I just turned 51 on Aug 12th, I had my tah on Aug 22nd .. I had everything removed due to Cervical Cancer. I just posted in another post about, keeping the ovaries .. I wish I could have kept mine, there was nothing wrong with them yet. But I agreed with my Dr. it all had to go. Meaning I am now on hrt and so far doing great I can't tell they are missing as of yet. And I it stays this way. My Dr. said he would probably take me off the hrt in a year. I can tell you in my case, I was very scared to lose my libido to. Even though I am 51, I have a ((very high)) sexual drive, and so does my D/H .... Well I am liveing proof that hrt does and can work .... I am now liveing a happy life without cancer and pain every month .... I hope you find the answers and some peace of mind soon ... I do know just because you have a family history of cancer, does not mean you will get it ...
Best Wishes
Enjoli

~*Mary B*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2003, 03:28 AM

1bracha,

I'm 45 and had a SAH/BSO. The doc has me on Vivelle Dot, which I change 2x a week. I love it. Have had no mood swings, no hot flashes, no migraines. DBF says he can't believe what a good mood I'm in all the time these days. As for the libido, it's definitely NOT gone.

Your best bet is to read all you can about the different issues and ask questions of your doctor. If you're not getting satisfactory answers, check with an endocrinologist.

Good luck to you.
s
Cat
Unread 10-27-2003, 05:56 AM

HI,

Just dropping by to offer my

I admire you for gathering your information BEFORE the surgery. Wish I had done the same.

This is my experience.....I had a LAVH on January 30th of this year. We elected to keep both of my ovaries. Well....here it is....not even a year later....and I've been having quite a few problems with recuring cysts that rupture causing extreme pain. I've done a lot of reading on the hystersisters web-site and there are quite a few ladies who seem to have a lot of problems with their ovaries after the hysterectomy and end up having to have them removed. I'm in that group. I will be having a BSO done on Wednesday of this week.

It has to be an individual choice.....but.....if I had it to do over....I would have definitely had them removed when I had the LAVH. This will be my 3rd surgery within one year and they don't get any easier.

As I said.....this is my own personal experience and feelings....you are very wise to seek out information so that you can make an informed decision about YOUR health and YOUR life.

I know that you will make the best decision for you. Good Luck to you.
Unread 10-27-2003, 08:54 AM

I am also a DES daughter. I had a TLH/BSO on 8/20 because I had a suspicious mass on one ovary and cysts on the other. For DES daughters, the major issue is cervical cancer, for that reason and a history of a-typical paps, we chose to remove my cervix also.
Good luck.
Unread 11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks & I'm still undecided

Dear Friends:
Thanks for your thoughtful responses. To the DES Daughter, I would mention that I,too, will have my cervix removed during the scheduled TAH.
To "menriqu2001", I would say that the convergence of breast, colon, and ovarian cancers is--from what I've read and been told--an established fact. Still, no one in my family has had ovarian cancer (maybe they didn't live long enough?!)
I'm calmer than when i wrote the posting because whether i decide to tell the surgeon to remove the ovaries or whether i tell her NOT to remove them, I can be satisfied that the decision is almost a toss-up because of the facts that I am faced with. There is no way that I can predict whether I will encounter ovarian difficulties in the future, even with being part of a high incidence group. There is also no way for me to be sure that I will do well on HRT, even though many women on this list report very good results.
Sometimes decisions are just not very obvious. In my case, I'll start writing poetry, doing more spiritual stuff, and getting more exercise....and the decision will settle in my belly.
If others have any more concrete data or good thoughts, I would welcome them.
Thanks again for your comments.
b
Unread 11-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Re: Thanks & I'm still undecided

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bracha
To the DES Daughter, I would mention that I,too, will have my cervix removed during the scheduled TAH.
I'm calmer than when i wrote the posting because whether i decide to tell the surgeon to remove the ovaries or whether i tell her NOT to remove them, I can be satisfied that the decision is almost a toss-up because of the facts that I am faced with. There is no way that I can predict whether I will encounter ovarian difficulties in the future, even with being part of a high incidence group. There is also no way for me to be sure that I will do well on HRT, even though many women on this list report very good results.
Sometimes decisions are just not very obvious. In my case, I'll start writing poetry, doing more spiritual stuff, and getting more exercise....and the decision will settle in my belly.
If others have any more concrete data or good thoughts, I would welcome them.
Thanks again for your comments.
b
Glad to hear you are getting your cervix removed. All the new date on this nasty drug says that there is a 2nd chance at cervical cancer after age 40.
I did not have the option of keeping my ovaries. I hope it all works out well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register