Just starting Neurontin and have ????'s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just starting Neurontin and have ????'s Just starting Neurontin and have ????'s

Unread 10-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Just starting Neurontin and have ????'s

Hi I am supposed to start Neurontin and was wondering if you guys could give me the heads up on the side effects. I was also wondering how long it will take to feel the effects. My dr did not say much but to take 300 mg 3 times a day. I am taking this for nerve pain. I have many posts in the past for this med but that was a while ago. So if you could please offer your opinions and advice I would appreciate it.

Carla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2003, 02:23 PM

I haven't taken it personally, but my mother is taking it and she started out with a low dosage and checked in with her doctor every Monday morning, and then he slowly increased it. She has very bad reactions to medications, so this was the best way to go for her. Hope this help. I know from her experience that nerve pain is very painful. She has gotten alot of relief from her pain, but it was a long process, not one that was an overnight experience.
Unread 10-27-2003, 02:41 PM

Dear Carla,

I have taken Neurontin in the past. If you have nerve pain I have heard it works really well.

I was also told to start on a low dose and work up to the target dose. I am surprised that your doctor is having you take so much all at once.... Is this a pain managment doctor or a GP? If you have trouble with side affects when you start taking it, ask your doctor about maybe starting on a lower dose and working up to the higher dose gradually. The doctor told me that over time your body gets used to the drug and some of the side affects subside.

I did not tolerate Neurontin well. It seems to me that some people can take it really easily while others have alot of trouble with it. My side affects were fatigue and feeling like my head was full of mush. I had trouble remembering things too and keeping my concentration. This was on a very low dose... so the doctor had me stop. It didn't help my pain either.... I have heard it can take a few weeks to help with pain... it still didn't help mine and in the end the problem I had wasn't nerve related at all so maybe that is why it didn't help...it was Adenomyosis and endometriosis.

In general, I am very sensitive to drugs. I am not a very big person and am thin so sometimes I think it has something to do with that.

Best wishes for a good outcome!!

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2003, 02:41 PM

I took neurontin for several years for neuropathy. I was started on it very gradually with small doses (100 mg) and then increased each week..my doctor was very adamant about that. I also took it at night because it made me very sleepy..which was great cause I slept fantastically! As far as other side effects, I didn't really have any. Be careful if you drink with it cause it does make you loopy.
Unread 10-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Thank you for your replies

I wanted to thank you ladies for your information. This was prescribed by my gp and the only thing the nurse really empahsized on was taking the last dose before 8pm so I could sleep it off she said. That is why I am kinda reluctant to take 2 doses during the day. I am sure if I complained they would tell me to work up to the dose I have done that with other meds before. I am allready having trouble with remembering and concentrating from the other meds since the hyst, so I guess I will have to give it a try and see how I do. Does anyone really know how long it takes to see if it is helping? Thank you ladies again!!

Carla
Unread 10-27-2003, 05:55 PM

Carla,
I've taken Neurontin on several occassions. The first time I had some awful side effects, mainly dizziness, it was so bad I was walking into doors. The second time I didn't have any side effects but unfortunately it didn't help much.

I have heard very good things about Neurontin. In fact, if one of my docs suggested it I would probably give it another try. I was never given a specific time frame, but was told that it was best to start out on a very low dose and gradually work up.

Good luck! I hope the Neurontin helps with your pain. I have also been told I have nerve damage.
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:54 AM

Hi nuerontin is a saturation drug and you have to keep taking it , for a while. My dh was on it and the side effects were really bad with him. But now he takes when absolutly needed. Even though it is a saturation drug it still works when he needs it.
Unread 10-29-2003, 09:39 AM

I also take Neurontin. I started on the exact same dosage you are on. 300mg 3x's a day for sciatic nerve pain.

I have not ever really had any side effects from it and am now up to 800mg 3x's a day and it works wonders on my nerve pain!!! I never gradually increased, he switched me from the 900mg per day to the 2400mg per day just like that.

I would not make it through the dday without it personally. It takes about a week or two to really get into your system. I would give it a shot as everyone has different side effects from meds. As most said, some can tolerate it very well and others have horrible side effects.

From my own experience though, I would definetly try it! Let us know how it works for you!

HUGS!
Unread 10-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Dreams???

Hi ladies I was going to ask just one more thing. I know this may sound odd but I have been taking the 900 mgs of Neurontin at night for like four nights now and have benn waking up severel times a night. I wake up from disturbing and VERY emotional dreams. Last night I turned the lights out at 10:15 and I was up at 11:45 crying. I dont know why but felt like I was in a bad dream for hours and hours. I wonder if this med has affected anyone else like that, or if it is just me.Thanks for listening.

Carla
Unread 10-31-2003, 11:04 AM

Carla,

I too take Neurontin (for nerve damage). I started taking this med gradually...i.e. I started with one 300 mg pill at bedtime for one week, then I was to take one 300 mg pill after lunch and again at bedtime (for one week)...then one in the morning, afternoon and at bedtime.

It is possible that this med is giving you bad dreams. I would give your doc a call and perhaps discuss working up to a dose of 3 times a day. I know that when I did this I had no side effects. Eventually I was taking 600 mg 3 times a day. I thought that perhaps it wasn't helping me, so I asked my doc to lower the dose. I did this for several weeks and truly noticed a difference in my pain level (more severe). I am back to taking 600 mg 3 times a day...but I had to gradually introduce it into my system (again) over a few weeks.

If I forget to take a dose I can really feel a difference...And it does help me a great deal.

Good Luck & please call your doc and let us know how you make out...S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register