Just starting Neurontin and have ????'s - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just starting Neurontin and have ????'s Just starting Neurontin and have ????'s

Unread 10-31-2003, 11:20 AM
Just starting Neurontin and have ????'s

I did not have problems like you describe with Neurontin (I couldn't stay awake ). However, I did have a terrible time sleeping when I tried to take Celexa for my pain. It was awful....it was like someone turned up the volume on my pain to "very loud" and then made my brain go on overdrive so even though I was exhausted my brain would not "shut off" and let me sleep. I only took it for 5 days before I was an absolute lunatic from lack of sleep and the doctor and I agreed it was not helpful.

So, it just may be how you react to the drug. I didn't tolerate it well even in small doses.... Be sure to call you doctor and let him know.... maybe starting on a lower dose would help.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2003, 06:04 PM

All of you sisters who have said that you have nerve pain, do you have an irritated itchy restless leg syndrome kind of feeling with it? I just posted a new post about vulvodynia. But I also wanted to know about Neurotonin. Right now, if I don't take Xanax and Restoril at night I feel like I am going to crawl out of my skin. All of the irritation is in the pelvic region, bowel, urethra, and vagina. It becomes agitated more when I sit on a hard chair for any length of time and after intercourse. How does your nerve pain manifest itself?
Unread 11-21-2003, 08:29 AM

Kelou,
My nerve pain is mainly situated along my incision and in the abdominal area. Sometimes it feels like an electric shock, sometimes like someone has a match inside of me and sometimes it is a stabbing pain. I don't have much leg pain, although I did have a problem with some twitching a few times which I found out may have been due to low potassium.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2003, 09:39 AM

Well it has been about a month since starting Neurontin I was not sure if it was helping...but on the 10th of this month I had a Diskectomy and they upped the dose to 2400 mgs so I am going to keep trying with the medication.It does not make me sleepy at all. I feel a little light headed but I can handle it. I am not really sure what the actual "nerve pain" feel like but I can just feel pain. I am also taking Loricet for the pain too so I guess I can not be sure if it is working for now. With the dosage change with 800mgs in the morning and the same at noon who knows I am used to taking it at night so I bet I will feel a difference. Also I have not been diagnosed with RLS but my legs feel just like you described. I will look into that at a later date for now I am working on the back and pelvic region.

Carla
Unread 11-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Neurontin

Hi Jones & ladies,
I have been diagnosed with endometriosis, but never with confirmed nerve pain, but regardless, my doc thought Neurontin might be worth a try. I can't remember what dose he started me on, but I reached 300 mg 3X a day. At that dose I felt jittery, had trouble concentrating, and the side-effect that made me stop the drug was a tremor in both my hands (I'm a university student, and this made writing very difficult). Against my doctor's advice, I stopped the drug, and even worse, I stopped it suddenly (most of the time you're supposed to taper off it).
However, I would say to anyone "try it". If you cannot tolerate its side-effects, you can always stop taking it...the side-effects are only temporary.
Have you ever heard of Topamax? It's a drug in the same class as Neurontin, but not used as frequently for nerve pain. There is a lot of controversy over it. I had a young doctor who recently moved to Canada from South Africa prescribe it for me. He started me on 10 mg once daily and then finally up to 10 mg 3 times daily. I did well on the drug, and he wanted to increase it, but I was leery as I had occasional "jitters" while on the drug. So he left me at that dose. Anyways, I said there was controversy about this drug...When I moved, my new doctor took me off of Topamax, as he said there was no proof that it worked for pain (regardless of the proof that it was helping me). I have not yet researched whether he was right or wrong about there not being any proof about it being beneficial for pain management, so you may want to research this a little....
If I had the choice between Neurontin and Topamax, I'd choose Topamax, but I know many people have been helped by Neurontin. Don't forget Neurontin and Topamax can be stopped at any time (but don't be like me and stop it suddenly!) if the side-effects are unbearable.
Best wishes to you!
Unread 11-21-2003, 05:31 PM

One thing I have come to realize is that when you have pain for a long period of time, the nervous system starts to amplify it and refer it.... think of the water torture where the drip of cold water on the forhead becomes like a shedgehammer over time.

Drugs like Elavil and Neurontin can help with this "amplification" as I understand it.... among other things related to nerve pain etc.

Sarah
Unread 11-21-2003, 07:33 PM

Well I have heard that pelvic pain can cause your back to hurt and not hurt in the pelvic area and back pain can suface in the pelvis when it is really coming from the back. I am really still not sure what is going on with my body even now a year later.I can be sure that some pain is from the disc in my back but do not know what percentage is from the front if that makes any sense. Sometime I wish that my GP could just deal with it all, I hate seeing so many different drs....but oh well.

Carla
Unread 11-22-2003, 12:19 AM

Dear Sisters,
This has been a great thread for me. Because of it I decided to ask my gyn for a trial of Neurontin. He is starting me on 300 mg at bedtime. I started it tonight. I noticed a big difference in sensations of my body. My legs and arms where completely relaxed (no tossing or turning). My hands and feet were warm which is unusual for me. I felt like I was in a state of suspention at times. I went to bed at 11:15 pm. My body was relaxed, but my brain wouldn't seem to shut off to go to sleep. So, I am up reporting my experience here. I was hoping to get a great nights sleep, but had to come out to take a Xanax to see if that helps me. It is after 2:00 am. Since I have had so much trouble with insomnia since surgery I think it might take awhile to overcome that problem. But, here's hoping! I have attention deficit disorder without hyperactivity so some drugs have opposite affects for me. Amphetamines focus and calm me. I can't take them any longer because of a heart arrhythmia. I guess I am trying to say that I am wired a little differently than some people. I really hope this drug helps me. I will report as time goes on.
Unread 11-22-2003, 02:57 AM

I was also on Neurontin for about 2 months. I really didn't like it. It would make me feel sick to my stomach and dizzy. When I would FINALLY wake up, I was in such a daze. Like I was drunker than drunk. I HATED that feeling. Honestly, Vicoden work better for me. I am taking it for back/neck pain caused by musculoskeletal pain up and down my back and TMJ.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register