Biopsy results back... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Biopsy results back... Biopsy results back...

Unread 10-28-2003, 07:10 AM
Biopsy results back...

But I have to wait til Friday to find out. Why do they do that? Apparently my GYN who did the exam wants the surgeon/oncologist to discuss the results with me. I think that's a pretty good indication that they show cancer. How do I keep from panicking with just over a week to my surgery? Anyone else been in this situation, with some advice on how to dope?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Biopsy results back...

s Limbo,
I am so sorry you are going through this. What tests did you have? I can't believe they are making you wait until Friday. Can you call the office back and insist on being seen earlier?

When I had my biopsy for possible endometrial cancer, I got a call from the office nurse who said the doctor wanted to see me in a couple of days to discuss the results. I knew right off the bat that something was wrong. I kind of pitched a fit and asked the nurse to tell me more, but she refused. About ten minutes later the doctor called me back (the nurse told her I was upset) and said she didn't like to discuss the diagnosis over the phone. I said I understood, but did she really think that a cryptic "come in and talk about it" didn't mean something was up? That you are supposed to hang on a few days with your mind racing to all sorts of conclusions? She reluctantly told me, and yes it was upsetting, but I was already in turmoil from the earlier call. She agreed to see me the next morning to discuss my options. By the time I got there I was calmer and able to discuss next steps without that first shock clouding my senses.

I don't suppose it is easy to give a patient potentially bad news, but I do think there has to be a better way. I am glad you are having a gyn onc do the surgery. You will be in good hands. You can come to this board any time to vent feelings. We've all been through it and can help you cope.
Unread 10-28-2003, 09:15 AM
Biopsy results back...

Thanks for the input, Moonflower. I had earlier found that I had an elevated CA125 level [about 150] and a tennis ball sized mass on my left ovary. The oncologist had been reassuring when I met with him on Oct 8th, going so far as to say he didn't think he would find cancer.

But I later got back the results of a pap smear that showed some atypical cells. I went in for a colcoscopy, cervical sample, cervical canal sample and an endometrial sample. Those results are what they want to discuss.

My oncologist is one of the best in Seattle so I am confident that I am in good hands. I'm just obviously anxious about what he's going to tell me about my [likely] cancer and my treatment options. My guess is they won't know a whole lot until after the surgery and the pathology report comes back. In a way, I don't know why they have to bring this up now, when I'm having the surgery anyway. *heavy sigh*

I don't know what I would do without having the support of this board. I was going crazy before I found this place.

Thanks again

Limbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Biopsy results back...

Hi Limbo -

My oncologist is in Seattle too! I bet it is the same one - if so you are in EXCELLENT hands!
Could you call and see if he will talk to you on the phone? Tell them you are anxious and agitated knowing he has to talk to you and you can't wait until Friday. If he doesn't want to do that make sure you take a friend or significant other with you to drive. If you are upset you don't want to be navigating Seattle traffic by yourself.
My GYN called me at home in the evening with the results of my uterine biopsy. I was suspicious because there were two hangups from the Drs office on the caller ID while I was out so when she called in the evening I was almost ready for bad news. As it turned out, she had already scheduled me for CT scans and an appt for the following day, but I had time to meet my best friend for lunch and was actually calm at that point and my attitude changed from 'why me' to 'OK-lets get this show on the road - what do I need to do'.
You will find great support here. Hang in there.
Big hugs!
Jan
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Biopsy results back...

Hi Limbo.

I'm sorry to hear that your gyn won't give you the results of your tests, but if it is cancer, it is good that you will be seeing a gyn/onc. I would call the gyn back and push to get the results. If you know if it is cancer, and what kind, you can be better prepared with questions when you see the gyn/onc. Knowing what you are facing is helpful, and the sooner the better in my book.

My gyn called me at work to give me the news. Before he called me, he had already talked to the gyn/onc to whom he referred me, and knew that I could get an appointment the next day. We talked for a few minutes, and then he let me go to get the appointment made. That night, he called me at home to talk some more, after I had a chance to let the news sink in. At that time, he talked more about the type of cancer (endometrial) and the grade (3), and helped me prepare for the visit with the gyn/onc that I had the next day. I then spent some time on the Internet doing some research, and felt I was as well prepared for my appointment as I could be. I also found advice on things like how to tell your boss and co-workers that was very helpful.

Of course, I was very frightened, and of course, I spent a sleepless night. But, I felt like I was doing something, and that was helpful to me. Many of my friends and co-workers expressed disbelief that he gave me the news over the phone at work, but I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to get a call saying that he needed to see me in his office, and then have to wait for the news. I talked to him about that later, and he said that he generally goes with gut feel, on whether to give bad news over the phone or call the patient into his office, but generally finds that people sense that something is wrong, want to know, and will assume the worst anyway.

I hope you can get your results. Call your gyn and let him or her know how anxious you are. I know that I would have made myself physically sick with worry in the space of a few days of not knowing.

Good luck!
Cheryl
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Biopsy results back...

I agree with Cheryl. If they do tell you over the phone, then you at least have the opportunity to do some research and bring a rash of questions with you when you meet with the doctor. However, I think there are certain liability issues with telling people certain things over the phone.

I think hospitals have very strict rules about what can and can't be said. At my HMO, they won't even tell me my stupid white count. Only the clinic that requested it can give it to me. So I never know if I'm going to have chemo until a half-hour before chemo. Which kind of makes scheduling my life a bit of a pain.

I guess I'm wondering why the oncologist was so certain that it wouldn't be cancer *before* the biopsy. My CA125 was 161. While that was only "slightly elevated," according to the internist who found my tumor, I did have fairly advanced cancer.

I hope that if it is cancer, it has been found in the early stages. And if it's found in later stages, that it's still treatable. Of course, my fondest wish would be for no cancer. So please let us know what happens on Friday.

So sorry you're having to go through all this anxiety. It really isn't fair.

s!
Unread 10-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Biopsy results back...

Hi guys

Thanks again for the feedback. I have actually calmed down a bit since my sleepless night Monday night. After thinking about it, I realized I probably do want to hear the news from the oncologist, rather than the GYN since he's going to be much more knowledgeable. I think my GYN feels a bit out of her league in assessing cancer risks. When my GP initially referred me to her after the CA125, she [the GYN] suggested that I not even bother seeing her and go straight to the oncologist. So I think she has a preference for leaving the cancer issues to the experts. I can appreciate that.

Initially I assumed the worst, but I have been preparing psychologically for a cancer diagnosis since 9/24 when my GP called with the CA 125 news. And, Sirensong, my oncologist wasn't "sure" it wasn't cancer... just said he didn't think it was likely that the growth they saw on my ovary was ovarian cancer. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I don't know if he said that to ease my mind a bit [although I doubt that] or if from his exam and the other info he had, he thought it more likely something else was going on. I do have several fibroids and possible endometriosis. He is a doctor very much in demand in this area for his expertise and skill as a surgeon so I am happy to have his services... even if it means waiting til Friday to see him. I am curious if he's the same guy you had, Jads. An acquaintance also had a hysterectomy from this guy in September and recovered from the surgery very nicely.

Thanks again for the support ladies. I'll let you know the news when I get it.

Limbo
Unread 10-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Biopsy results back...

Hi Limbo -
You can send me a private message or an e-mail if you wish. I would be happy to share who my ONC is.
Jan
Unread 10-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Biopsy results back...

Off to my meeting with the Dr to get my biopsy results and discuss surgery. Wish me luck.
Unread 10-31-2003, 10:55 AM
Biopsy results back...

Good luck to you x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register