I'm confused -who should do surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm confused -who should do surgery? I'm confused -who should do surgery?

Unread 10-30-2003, 07:45 AM
I'm confused -who should do surgery?

Thank you for all the encouraging replies. I have an appt with my gyn this morning and the gyn/onc 3 hours later. Wish it was in the reverse order, but will go with what I've got. There will be time to make changes to the surgical plan if needed - surgery isn't until Tuesday.
Dorrie, I really like the sounds of the agreeement to have the gyn/onc come in if anything other than 1A is found. What I still don't know is if that means I need a laparotomy. Dh thinks I'm crazy to consider such a radical procedure. I think it'd be crazy to go through 2 surgeries if everything can be done in 1.
I hope to get answers to all my questions today. I'm ready to finalize the plan and get this done.
Feistybabyblues, I hope your LSH goes well tomorrow - mine was a great experience and speedy recovery.
Please pray for me to be clearheaded and at peace with the outcome of today's visits! I'll keep you posted on what we decide.
Texasfriend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 06:33 PM

Texasfriend --

I hope your appointment went well and that you are satisifed with your care plan.

For the record, I wanted all to see that there is some evidence that for ovarian cancer anyway, a specialized surgeon (gyn onc) confers real benefits. With ovarian cancer, it is terribly difficult to do staging until you are "all open" so to speak. Moreover, the pattern of spread is quite diffuse and the surgery required to remove the spread is quite meticulous.

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/9452.cfm

http://www.cancerfacts.com/GeneralCo...nosis.asp?CB=9

Dorrie
Unread 10-30-2003, 06:48 PM

These are two great sites... Thanks Dorrie..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 07:16 PM

Great sites Dorrie!! We should get them permanently displayed at the top of Cancer Concerns.
So many women could benefit from them.
oxox karenann
Unread 10-30-2003, 07:23 PM

The sites were really interesting Dorrie I never realized anything really about cancer until I got involved with hyster sisters and the sites you have there are really of value. They do help make a very knowledgable discision when facing cancer.

TexasFriend hope you made out okay with your doctors appointments today praying that your concerns and questions were all answered so you can have peace of mind when you do have your surgery.
Unread 10-30-2003, 08:32 PM

Had my visits - I am somewhat better focused. However, I'm not sure where I'll go from here:
The gyn said he does not think I have cancer. He recommends the laparoscopic BSO with permanent pathology to make the definitive diagnosis. He will only get a gyn/onc involved if he sees anything suspicious and he does not expect to.

The gyn/onc was a bit taken aback with my visit. I don't know if he ever got a call from my gyn, so no telling what he thinks. I feel like he was somewhat offended I was there to see him. He didn't do a regular workup or examine me as his nurse said he would when she took a brief history on me. (Dh said never to expect the dr to do what the nurse says - only he can decide what to do when he sees each patient).
Anyway, after he got my file, he came in and talked. He felt like I had already decided everything with my gyn and seemed hesitant to comment very much. He did say "after looking at the very sketchy details of the records my dr sent over", he didn't think it was medically necessary for me to have my ovaries removed. He added if it would make me feel better knowing there was no cancer in there, then that would be a reason to have the surgery done.
He does not operate on a standby basis, so cannot guarantee he will be available at the time of my surgery. He said he would be in the office but if he got called off to another emergency he would go.
He did say approaching my situation with a laparoscopic surgery would be a good approach. If any cancer was found in the path report after surgery then we could talk about where to go from there.
He did not commit to being available for surgery in the event something suspicious was found. In order for him to commit to being there for surgery I guess we would have to reschedule, but he didn't really seem like he wanted to offer that. I just don't think we clicked and I'm not sure why. May be he did get a call from my gyn - I just don't know. I don't feel great about what transpired at this visit.

Dh has been wonderful today - stayed with me through all the visits. We waited for over 2 hours for the gyn/onc. Dh thinks I need to go with what my gyn recommends. He says he feels it will be best for my peace of mind. That's where the gyn is coming from, also.
Now for the burning question (I seem to have come full circle to): Are the possible effects of losing my ovaries outweighed by the risks of keeping them. In other words, is my peace of mind worth giving up my ovaries?
I decided to get a good night's sleep and consider this more fully tomorrow. After a great night of rest, I'll be able to think more clearly.

Texasfriend
Unread 10-31-2003, 06:28 AM

Texasfriend,

Before I had my surgery, the gyn onc I used suggested we monitor my ca-125 and ovary size for a couple months. I had the blood drawn and scan done 3x a month to coincide with particular points of my menstrual cycle.

In premenopausal women, the ca-125 can be elevated for a number of reasons, some of which actually cause a fluctuation in levels. Mine continued to rise week after week, and that lead to surgery about 8 weeks after the "watchful waiting" started.

I wonder why your gyn told you that stand-by stuff when it wasn't going to happen?

Dorrie
Unread 10-31-2003, 03:02 PM

Hi Dorrie-
Thanks for all the great info and encouraging posts.
I think the doctors were not able to talk before I went from one to the other. When I saw my gyn on Thursday early afternoon, he told us he was going to call the gyn/onc now that he knew I was going ahead with the surgery. He had a 1 p.m. surgery right after I left the office, so would call after he finished surgery. He may not have had time to get in touch with the onc before I saw him(onc) later that afternoon.

I do think they will coordinate. I also believe the onc when he says he will not be "standing by". I am going to report back to my gyn on what transpired at the onc's office just so he'll know what I heard.

I have decided to go ahead with the surgery. I'm scheduled for Tuesday morning at 9:30. Being a woman of faith, I am leaving all details in the good Lord's hands. I don't have any control over what happens about all the doctor's schedules, etc.
I know my gyn is a highly skilled surgeon. He did an excellent job on my LSH last year. Both drs talked of the same procedure of bagging the ovaries to remove them. The gyn/onc reminded me that every surgery carries risks. I am preparing emotionally for that now.

I am also looking to get info on hormone replacement therapy for surgical menopause. This website is the best for anything about any of this. I feel blessed to have the access to resources and people who have gone before me. As dh pointed out, I am not the first lady who has ever gone through this! I want to be assured there is great hope for maintaining the health of my bones, heart, and mind - heck, my whole body- and psyche, too!
My gyn is the pioneer in this area with bio-identical hrt, so I know he will do all he can to take care great care of me. Any words of encouragement from all you ladies who no longer have your ovaries will be most appreciated. Thank you so much for your support as I have been wading through all this
Texasfriend
Unread 11-01-2003, 11:54 AM

Hi Texasfriend
The hardest part is over you have made your decision after going over all your options. Keep communication open between you and your surgeon that is so important.

My surgery at first I didn't ever think I would feel good, but my dr said 6 weeks and they were a long 6 weeks with many posts on hyster sisters.

But I am happy to say almost 5 months later I feel almost like myself, and I can only take calcium and vagifem due to my medical history no HRT and I feel as though I am adjusting to the hot flashes, some days worse than others.

So hang in there I'll keep you in my "" Tuesday will be here before you know it

""s
Unread 11-05-2003, 02:12 PM
All done with surgery

Hi everybody-
I had my BSO yesterday as day surgery and came home same day. My gyn said nothing looked suspicious and we will get the path results in a few days. There was some scar tissue from last year's LSH, which he expected.
I had a difficult time getting my bladder to cooperate in recovery, so spent the entire day at the hospital waiting for that. When I got home, I had a scary reaction that dr thinks was related to anesthesia. I'll write about it over in post-op as it may help someone else one day if anyone ever has it happen to them. It was overwhelming for a few hours, but I've been better since.
I cannot ever thank you all enough for your support and encouragement. I will let you know what the path results are. I hope the dr is right. I struggled a bit up until the night before surgery with whether I was doing the right thing by giving my ovaries up, I just have to trust I did do right and let the Lord take me through the jungle. Dr started me on Estrace 1mg tabs twice daily. I'm already on Progesterone and Testosterone. He feels it will be smooth sailing for me into this menopause - I sure want that to be right!
Teexasfriend

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register