Pain Management NIGHTMARE!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Management NIGHTMARE!!! Pain Management NIGHTMARE!!!

Unread 10-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Pain Management NIGHTMARE!!!

I had an appt yesterday to talk to my PM Dr about the increase of Ms Contin he prescribed last time I saw him (2 weeks ago). I can not take the extra MS during the day due to it making me fall asleep I wont be able to work or take my class! I wanted to see what other options I had other than the extra MS for BT pain.

I have NEVER in my whole life been treated so bad and I even left the clinic in tears I was so hurt and mad!! have NEVER in my whole life been treated so bad and I even left the clinic in tears I was so hurt and mad!!

He told me there was really nothing more that he WOULD do and maybe I need to get off of the Neurontin (finally have the nerve pain under control with the dose I am on)since it makes you sleepy mixed with the MS or stop taking the afternoon dose and just deal with the pain but he refused (he even said refused) to put me on anything for BT pain and if I did not like it to either go back to my PCP and have her just give me meds the rest of my life or find another PM clinic to go to!! He kept repeating it then said, well, theres no need for me to repeat this 100 times, I just will not do it and walked out of the room telling me he will see me at my next appt in Dec. I though they were suppose to help find the right combination, or at least the right drug that will help your pain as much as possible. I am FULLY aware my pain will not completely go away, no matter what he puts me on, but with the class I am taking and the job, the pain is intensified, especially in the morning and late afternoon and I even told him that and he told me to deal with it!! Even without working and taking the class I have pretty bad BT pain around 3 pm and also it takes 3 hours in the morning for the MS to kick in! HOW am I suppose to DEAL with that???

I have already called my insurance company and called around to the listed providers and one provider even asked me, after me telling her I was not happy with my PM, if it was the Dr I am seeing. She even knew his name and reputation!! My referral expires at the end of this month anyway so I have an appt with my PCP for all of my other probs and also to update my referral so he will NOT be seeing me EVER again!! I have enough meds to last me until Dec, actually more since I am not taking the mid day dose so it is not an emergency to get an appt other than to get something for this horrible BT pain!!

I am just at a loss of words as to how I was treated!! He tells me that the short acting meds are too addictive. SO IS MORPHINE!! I dont need something as strong as the MS to hold me over until my MS starts to work or till my next dose, but he treated me as if I was JUST there for drugs!! YES, I need drug therapy for my chronic conditions, but I also was suppose to be having another round of injections in my spine after Christmas.

Well, I think I have vented enough today!

Thanks to you all for the support I have needed for so long!

HUGS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2003, 08:42 AM

By the way, I forgot to add I also have chronic pelvic pain!
Unread 10-29-2003, 09:44 AM

(((((((((( Pam ))))))))))

I can sort of understand where you are coming from and why you are upset with your PM doc over the issue of something for your BT pain. I have been in your shoes many of times and hate being treated like I am a druggie. We have all heard it so many times before, from docs and patients alike, there are people who abuse narcotics and some docs are really reluctant to prescribe them at all. Take for example the condition I am suffering from currently - PTC (PseudoTumor Cerebri) that I was diagnosed with on 7/29/03 but had for a month before any doc would believe me when I was telling them it was more than normal headaches or migraines. All they would offer me for pain was OTC Motrin or Naprosyn. It took me several trips to the ER and shots of Demerol to gain control over the pain. I finally had enough one night and went to the ER and demanded they run a head CT and do a spinal tap. VOILA! A bell went off in their heads when they saw how high my spinal fluid pressure was. Since being DX'd with PTC, I have been under the care of a really good Neurologist who believes me and my pain and does not allow me to suffer. Enough about me.

I hope you can get this issue resolved, and soon. It's hard to function when in pain. Big s to you.

All the best,
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2003, 10:00 AM
I just dont get it

Pam
I have followed your posts and with my pelvic pain not as severe as yours, I also have DDD and two torn discs in my back. I have seem many pm drs who have told me just to live with the pain. So I would try another dr and start over. My current dr is opposite of yours. I have asked over and over for something extended release so I do not have to take pills every four hours. He will only give me the hydro and oxy codones. I have small kids still at home so most days I can not take the meds. I just dont get it!!! I have to travel 3 hours just to see this dr. Thers is no one else here where I live to see. For now I guess I just deal with it. Hopefully the newly added neurontin will help with the pain. I hope all will work out for you!!

(((HUGS)))

Carla
Unread 10-29-2003, 01:17 PM

Pam,

I'm so sorry you had and have been having such a horrible time. I too have felt like a druggie. I take one of the most mild opiate (darvocet) and I take 2 a day for cramping and pain from RLS and pelvic pain.....and I feel like I'm an addict. Actually I guess I am since I take them everyday...

ANYway Pam....just wanted to send you a and say to you that I KNOW how you feel. Hang in there. We care.

Renee
Unread 10-29-2003, 01:52 PM

Dear Pam,

Please don't feel alone I think many of us have been in similiar situations with doctors before.

The PM doctor I went to see started out very nice and I was greatly encouraged... but when the nerve blocks he did for my pelvic pain only helped for a couple hours and I told him that I would have trouble taking 100mg of Elavil a day due to the fact that 10-20mg knocks me out already he pretty much seemed to send me packing.

The last time I saw him I left the office in tears too... In my case I felt like the doctor didn't care if I could function as long as I didn't have any pain... I am a mom of 4 small kids and his reply was that I should hire someone to take care of them. My goal was simply to find out if there was something I could take that would relieve the pain while still being able to LIVE LIFE... if relieving the pain meant laying in bed all day due to the side affects of the meds it wasn't worth it to me. I guess the doctor thought I was being difficult. Usually my pain is only at a distressing level not a disabling level.

I was relieved when the PM doctor and my Gyn talked and the Gyn told me he thought the PM doctor was abrupt and impatient and unrealistic with his expectations of me...

I do hope you can find a doctor who is willing to work with you more. I know it can be difficult.

BTW, what is BT pain?

Sarah
Unread 10-29-2003, 04:59 PM

Thank you all for your support and it helps to know I am not alone in this battle!

I feel so badly for those of you in pain with small children. If mine were still small I would lose my mind. My kids are very understanding about my pain and they are my rocks in life.

I have been on Neurontin for almost a year and it is the only thing that helps the nerve pain so I dont know WHY he would tell me to stop taking it or cut back on it when it took 6 months to get the dosage right!! I have only been on the Ms Contin for 3 months and it helps more than anything I have ever been on. Only problem is it does not last the 12 hours like it is suppose to and I am a mess in the morning and evening waiting to either take the next dose or wait for the dose to kick in.

You are all my angels and I just hold you all in my heart!!!

BTW... Sarah... BT pain is Break Through pain. That time when your meds do not work the full time or you get pain even on the meds.

HUGS!!
Unread 10-29-2003, 07:52 PM

OH!!! BT is breakthrough pain.....

I am thinking to myself that I have never encountered BT pain because so far I haven't found anything I can take that helps the pain in the first place. (I haven't tried the strong stuff)...

Oh Pam, you must be in so much pain without all of your meds... I can't even imagine. My problems seem so minor when I listen to what you are having to go through.

I hope you find a nicer doctor. We are here for you!

Sarah
Unread 10-29-2003, 08:01 PM

(((Pam))),
I totally feel you as I'm sure much of the Chronic Pain sufferers do receiving treatment thru Pain Mgmt Due to the media hype over the class of Narcotics referred to as the *Contins*..Oxy & MS. They have caused soo much turmoil over the recent deaths, lawsuits from patients suing for *Addiction*. Who is left to suffer? We are!! Many, many Pain Drs. have lost their license due to their compassion to treat pain...other Drs. are seeing this, feeling the DEA watching over them & scared for the welfare of their own practice:-( I've encountered my fair share or uncaring Drs. but I do hold this certain respect for those who have chose to specialize in Pain Mgmt. They have taken upon a huge responsibility & run the risk daily of being targeted by the DEA just b/c they understand Chronic Pain..this enrages me. When it comes down to their license Vs giving a patient an extra dose of meds which are they gonna chose? Their License which supports their families well-being. It is sad that they are forced to make these decisions as THEY ARE DRS....ones who swore to uphold the Hippocratic oath.
I'm gonna give you some reading to do. It will provide you some insight into why our PM Drs. are the way they are today:-(

BTW~This has all been transpiring since the Oxy stories occurred about 2 or so yrs ago & despite the efforts of many Advocates of Chronic Pain patients & their goals to help us get the relief we deserve, we our currently slowly losing the battle...

http://www.intheknowzone.com/oxycontin/what.htm
http://www.oxyabusekills.com/oxymessageall.asp
http://headaches.about.com/library/w...aa-oxy0903.htm
http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v03/n1281/a08.html?186

Quote:
An estimated 50 million Americans suffer from persistent pain, yet most medical school students don't take a single course focused on treating pain, research shows. An estimated 50 million Americans suffer from persistent pain, yet most medical school students don't take a single course focused on treating pain, research shows.
“Untreated pain, tragically, is an epidemic in the United States,” said Dr. Sullivan, former Secretary of Health and Human Services and chairman of the TOP MED advisory board.

A new poll released this month by Research! America found that three out of every four surveyed say they are either suffering from pain themselves or have a close family member or friend who is suffering.
"Millions of Americans are suffering in agony unnecessarily," Dr. Sullivan said. "That's why our nation's future doctors need to learn the latest and best treatments for pain."
http://www.oxycontin.com/pressroom/news/20030908-01.htm
This is a link to one of the most heart wrenching stories I've read:
http://www.drhurwitz.com/

Here you will find tons of info concerning all this from the beginning. The man that started this site sufferers from a severely painful, terminal condition but yet continues to raise awareness as well as fight for the rights of others for relief.
http://lambornepain.hypermart.net/compassion.htm

This site states the laws in place to protect us as the patient from being denied pain relief. Each state has it's own set of Laws in place but they all state that no Dr shall be disciplined for treating documented chronic pain & holds the right to treat that pain w/ any strength of meds available..interesting since I've heard many state they were unable to prescribe the meds necessary to control my pain

Pam my post is in no way trying to excuse your or any other Drs. treatment or obligation to help us. I myself recently experienced something very similar w/ my own team of Pain Drs who have overseen my treatment for the past 3.5 yrs. I am disappointed & furious over my own treatment. I share this in hopes of helping you & others understand what is unraveling in front of our very eyes. I also hope to help raise awareness to a situation that has entered the desperate stage & could possibly leave us all suffering non-malignant Chronic Pian w/o any source of relief at all....
Good Luck (((Pam)))..pls keep us posted!!!
((((hugs))))
Unread 10-31-2003, 08:10 AM

Sounds like my dh pain doc, all he wants my dh to do is quit wearing his police vest at work or quit working. Like we can afford that. Then he says he doesnt understand why he wont quit work. Geez these docs dont have a clue. People need to work. ang

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register