Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst? Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

Unread 10-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

Hi ladies-

I have what I hope isn't a silly question... I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Aug. 12, 2003, and thought I was bouncing back really well. Two weeks ago started bleeding, with horrible cramping and tender spots on my tummy. Was seen that day, and diagnosed with a "large" cyst on my one remaining ovary. Huh? My luck of course, lol.

I'm in horrible pain, seeing doc again today. My question is this: Have any of you experienced the same situation and if so, what do they usually do? Obviously, waiting for it to go away with the next "period" isn't an option...

I don't have specifics yet, type, size, etc., will get all that today. I guess I'm just shocked that this soon after surgery I've got new problems. Never had cysts before... although did have every other problem imaginable.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Missy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

Hi Missy,

You're not alone! I had to have a CAT scan at 3 weeks post op and found that I already had a cyst on my remaining ovary. I now have 4(did have 5 but one burst) and I'm back on birth control pills in hopes of controlling the hormones to stop them. I only experienced bleeding when the one burst and it wasn't much this time. Doc said if they don't get under control with the b/c, he's going to have to take it out. Luckily he'll take it out with the laprascope if it needs to come out. But like you I just got done with my recovery and now I may be heading back for another surgery...sigh...yuck!
Unread 10-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

I had cysts develop a few weeks after surgery also. Mine kept bursting and that would literally lay me out on the floor. My surgeon wanted to remove it and said he would try it with the laparoscopy but said there is the possibility of having to cut me open again if adhesions had formed. That scared me silly so he told me to wait a couple more weeks to see what happenes.
I went to church that Sunday and asked to be anointed and be prayed over. Over the next few days the horrible pain went away.
Now I'm praying that it's permanent.
From what I've read here this is pretty common. You may want to try posting in The Road Less Traveled.

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2003, 05:05 PM
Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

you are not the only one with this prolem. i too had a total Abdominal hysterectomy and like one week after of me being out the hospital i got this awefl ain went in ER they did a catscan and some xrays and there was and still is 2 cysts on each of my Ovories. I still have them cause i feel them! you can tell cause they hurt so bad its awefull. then just last week I had a awefull pain on around my abdominal area I went to the hospital to see what was going on ended up staying at the hospital a hole week! come to find out now i might have a cyst in my right kidney i have infection as well its just an aweful feeling! so now im back home waiting till Friday comes cause thats when i do to my Kidney doctor to see what exactly is there! and then after that im off to see my doctor to see if my cysts on my ovories got bigger or smaller Im dieing to know why i have so much pain. Hope you all feel better I will keep in touch.
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

Two weeks after my TAH/RSO I had ovarian cyst on my left ovary that ruptured that left me in the ER for pain control for 18 hours. Then about 4 or 5 weeks later I was back in the ER again in pain and ended up with cysts on and around my ovary and it being adhered to my bowels, in my case they took my ovary and the cysts that night. They went through my TAH incision but its up to your surgeon and if they know exactly what they are dealing with. I was in the hospital for 5 days after my surgery but I had some complications after. So I ended up with 2 surgeries in 2 months. I hope that you get and easier solution and that your pain subsides and things get better for you without going thru another surgery. BEST WISHES and
Unread 10-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks

Thanks all for your responses... for those of you in pain, I'm sorry. Sandra especially... Lordy girl, please take care of yourself!

Saw the doc today, and although I love him dearly, I think I need to kick him in the butt on this one. The cyst is actually the size of a tennis ball- he showed me pictures, ick! It's "complex" of course, nothing with me is simple. The report said it "contains septations as well as debris"... ahem- in English please?

We're doing a month of BC pills and a new ultrasound on Nov. 24th. He'll decide what more to do from there. In the meantime, I'm ready to jump off a bridge! Kidding- too much housework to end it all now. From all I've read- aren't the "complex" cysts the ones we worry about? I've got strong family history of ovarian cancer... the wait and see approach is not sitting well with me on this one. Even the report suggested immediate follow up scans to document size and resolution.

Like I said, I love my doc- but I think he may be wrong on this one...

Thanks again for your help!

Missy
Unread 07-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

im sorry to hear about your complex cyst i had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and had us in feb. and in april found 4 complex cyst in only ovary left went into have the surgery through belly botton to have it out of course didnt work that way ended up with 2 surgens 3 hours in surgery repaired my bladder and colon took my appendix edheasions bad and now waiting for results on path.report i dont remember hurting this bad the first time my first hysterectomy was for precancer not sure if ovarian cancer runs in family my grandmother was adopted know nothing of her family my grandmother did die of cancer at 47 my moms brother died 3 years ago of cancer and my mother was diagnoised with lymphomia luekemia last year in remission so it is very nerve racking playing the wait game
Unread 08-01-2004, 08:04 PM
post surgery ovarian cyst

So sorry to hear that so many of you have had cysts so soon after surgery! It is a real bummer to think about going back again. I had uterus/cervix removed two years ago and am going back for surgery to remove very large ovarian cyst in a week. Boy, do I wish I had taken it all out back then!!
Unread 08-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

Diane,
I am right there with you... Having huge ovarian cyst removed in a week. (2 years ago had hyster)

It is just amazing to read how often this thing seems to happen... doesn't it?

I am sorry for all of those who wrote in this thread...

This thread was started awhile back, I would love to hear how you all are doing since this thread was started.

xo Donna
Unread 08-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Post Hyst Ovarian Cyst?

Well Ladies I just got back from the ER. I am 7weeks out and my DH and I finally had sex. I started cramping and it steadily got worse. So I spent the entire day haveing all kinds of tests done. They now tell me that I have developed a small cyst, which is filled with blood, on my left ovary. No more sex until the doctor says so.

Now after reading this thread I wonder if this is the life I have to look forward to. Cyst after cyst until they finally take my ovaries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register