Pathology results back: Cervical Cancer 1a1 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pathology results back: Cervical Cancer 1a1 Pathology results back: Cervical Cancer 1a1

Unread 10-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Pathology results back: Cervical Cancer 1a1

Well, it turns out that my gut instinct was correct: to go ahead with the hysterectomy after two failed colposcopies (they couldn't see the problem area) and one cone biopsy (the CIN3 was at the deep end of the cone). A part of me was doubting that I was doing the right thing. That maybe this was too extreme and that I should learn to have more patience and maybe do another cone. But I just had a feeling ....

Doctor says that the pathology shows not only CIN3 (original diagnosis), but areas of CIS, adenomyosis (completely asymptomatic) and the big one: Cervical Cancer 1a1. I have already been on the cancer sites looking this up, of course. But a little shocked.

I had a TVH last week (was supposed to be a LAVH w/ a 50/50 chance of TAH). My doctor says there was no glandular or lymph involvement, so they probably won't have to do radiation. But does anyone know if they will want to go back and take my ovaries? The sites I've read say 'no' for 1a1, but with my family history of cancer, this kind of has me freaked out to just leave them there.

I have a consultation with a gyn/onc after my meeting with my regular gyn, who has been consulting with the same gyn/onc on my case all along. I'm sure he can answer these questions, but as I've learned in the past (my mom has cancer diagnosed this year also), it takes forever to get the answers you want.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Shocked and amazed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 08:49 AM

Thank God you went ahead with the hyst instead of going for another cone. I also had a colposcopy with a biopsy that came back negative "no sign of dysplasia", but both my gyn and I knew something was wrong, so we went ahead with a cone and my problem was also high in the cervical canal.

I think it is common to question whether our treatment is too extreme or not enough. Better to err on the side of overtreating, I think.

When you see your gyn, you can discuss the question of the ovaries. I can't really give you any advice on that. I had mine out not because of the dysplasia, but because there was breast and ovarian cancer in my family history, so I figured while he was in there they might as well come out too.

I am so glad for you that your cervical cancer seems to have been caught very early. It sounds like you have good doctors and you will be OK.

Take care. Rest and heal.
Unread 10-30-2003, 10:15 AM

's Janet!

Well, I'm glad it's only 1a1 !! Typically there would be no further treatment needed at that stage, and there's really no reason to have your ovaries out unless you have a strong history of ovarian cancer in your family. Are you seeing a gynecologic oncologist? S/he would be your very best source of information on appropriate follow-up care/treatment. Please consult with one if you haven't already. Make sure you keep those regularly scheduled appointments! It's very important that we are closely followed to be sure it doesn't spread onto the vaginal wall (which is rare, but important to be screened).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 04:17 PM

A1a does not require any further treatment. I had a TVH almost 2 years ago for the same thing. There is no relationship between ovarian and cervical cancer. As someone else posted, unless there is a history of ovarian cancer, the doctor will probably advise you to keep your ovaries, especially if you have not gone into menopause yet.

I know that this is all really traumatic. I too had the surgery because it was thought that I had adeno in situ (stage 0) and the pathology came back stage 1a. The chance that they got everything is something like 99%.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register