Another Bump in the Road! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another Bump in the Road! Another Bump in the Road!

Unread 10-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Another Bump in the Road!

Well, today I had my pelvic ultrasound and I could not believe my ears. I had told the lady doing my ultrasound that the surgery report said I had both ovaries and that according to the pathology report that it looked as if my left ovary was removed. Well, first of all wouldn't you know it that I had to go empty my bladder as she could not see anything due to my bowels being where my uterus used to be. I guess they decided to move in and occupy the new space. So I had to do the yucky ultra-sound. Well, she start really poking that thing around inside me and pressing on my stomach and then I could not believe my ears. She asked me if I was sure that they didn't take the right ovary as she couldn't find it. Oh, my. I just didn't know what to think. Then she says perhaps the right ovary moved over somehow or perhaps it's all midline and it really is my right ovary where she thought she saw my left ovary. Boy I really wonder just what did my first doctor do in there? I meet with my new doctor a week from Friday to discuss all the results. When all this is over and we finally find out what the first doctor did, I'm going to be writing some letters of complaint. Except I'm not sure where to write them yet. This is all so unbelievable. If my first doctor had taken accurate records then even she would not have gotten so confused as to what she really did to me during my hysterectomy and would have told me consitently either I had one or two ovaries. My blood work from last week came back normal. But I was wondering as they took it during one of my better days of the month, if the hormone levels can be out of wack when I have the cycle pains? I started laughing when I told my friend on the phone today that the lady asked me if I was sure they didn't take my right ovary even though it is not the least bit funny. It just sounded so crazy when I was telling her. So... hopefully on Nov. 7 we can get some bumps in the road smoothed out. Has anyone had these pelvic ultrasounds to tell what is going on? Do they show everything? Is it possible they can miss something? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2003, 10:01 PM

Dear Cathleen,
I'm so sorry things are so confusing for you right now

I have not had a regular pelvic ultrasound in quite some time and also not since my TAH so I am not much help there.

I do hope your new doctor can help sort this all out.

Many s and try to keep you chin up, ok... eventually it will all be sorted out I am sure.

Sarah
Unread 10-30-2003, 11:31 AM
((( Cathleen ))))

I agree with you that is insane that the doctor did not take good notes. But I also want to tell you that I had a vaginal ultrasound, and at first they had difficulty finding my remaining ovary. The tech told me this is normal as remaining ovaries will float and move around! So they may not be in their normal position as they were when they were attached to the uterus. And sometimes they shrink a little... It took her a good 15 minutes to find it.

I hope you find answers soon, and good luck to you with your new doctor.. That was definitely a good move.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 12:12 PM
thanks

Wow, I just never thought about ovaries moving around. Just like I never thought about my bowel moving in on the empty space. My ultrasound was about 40 minutes long. I'm glad it's over with. It will definately be interesting what the doctor will say a week from Friday. Thanks for the hugs.
Unread 10-31-2003, 05:50 AM

I am so sorry they confused you so much Cathleen!!

I can just speak from my US experiences and I also had a few that showed nothing compared to what was really there!!

Before my hyst they did one and told me everything looked OK and they did not see much although the US will not pick up endo. WELL, after my hyst, my Gyn told me my uterus was the size of a 12 to 14 week pregnancy due to adeno and I had 2 very large cysts on the outside of the left ovary, one on the right ovary and my ocaries were the size of softballs ready to explode!! Believe it or not, the ONLY thing that showed up on the US was my uterus being SLIGHTLY enlarged, but not to the extent it really was when he got in there!!

I am glad they found the polyp during your colonoscopy and I pray it is just that... a polyp and nothing more!!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that everything turns out OK for you sweetie!!

Unread 10-31-2003, 07:11 AM
Ultra Sounds

Dear Pam
I was helped by reading your experience with the ultra-sound. I know that before my surgery they did not see any thing either. Yet, the pathology report says that they received two cysts. I can't wait until next Friday because I have a lot of questions for my new doctor. My dh has that Friday off and I think that it will be very good to have him come and be a witness. I want to know for sure what is and isn't in me. It will be worth it for my own piece of mind. I think that I've been watching to much TV about surgerys and doctors visits gone bad. They have only intensified my worries. I tried to look up background information on my former doctor and the only websites I got were those that charge money. The search for that goes on. I have a friend that lives in Japan that used to work for the hospital and told me she thought my former doctor had some malpractice suits against her. She also told me the staff said that they wouldn't send their dogs to my former doctor. That is why I'm trying to find background information. Somethings would have been nice to hear before my surgery. Well, I have to go for now. Only 7 more days until my next visit!!
Unread 10-31-2003, 11:18 AM

I was also told that ovaries will definitely move around after a hyst and can be rather difficult to find. It is also very common for intestines (small and large) to shift since there is extra space available. Do you remember feeling like you had an alien in your tummy post op - all the unusual gurgling as your intestines adjusted to their new surroundings in the first week or so after surgery? I sure did, it was almost like feeling a child move to me. Ovaries seem to have a bad tendancy to adhere to things that they should NOT be adhering to post op - v vault, abdominal wall, intestines to name a few. They can also slip down close enough to the vault to get "bumped" during intercourse. A painful event.

A co-worker was told by her ds's surgeon that if a lung is removed that empty space can/will fill with fluid.

Our bodies seem to sometimes adapt pretty well to surgical changes. I think that's amazing!
Unread 10-31-2003, 12:37 PM
Moving Things in Our Bodies

Nervous Nel,

It is pretty amazing what all our bodies do. I wonder if things can still move around so far post op? Now I'm just wondering if maybe I do have both ovaries and one of them is hiding. I think it is just awful to not know. I'm a person that likes to know things and not knowing drives me crazy. To top it all off, my tom cat who is barely 7 months old got into a cat fight and has this huge wound on his leg that is open. I'm putting antibiotic cream on it like the lady at the vetenarian told me to but I think he is going to die. My dh and I are hanging on to every hope but I don't know how I'll tell the dd and ds's if the cat does die. I can't wait until this bumpy road smooths out some more.
Unread 10-31-2003, 02:34 PM

I had an U/S at 4 and 5 months post op and both ovaries were visable. I had a scope surgery at just over 6 months post op and while the dr easily found the r ovary she did not see the L ovary. We know its there, saw in on the U/S both times, but it was "hiding" probably behind the intestines the day of surgery. The doc wasn't interested in digging around for it, and that's fine by me since it wasn't the problem we were trying to address. I have to suspect based on this experience that they probably continue to move around providing they aren't adhered to anything.

Hope your cat is ok.
Unread 10-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Moving Ovaries

Wow, what a story. Once again, I never thought about moving ovaries. I'm glad that at least you know you have two of them inside you. I would like to know and we will probably have the doctor find out. I don't think my is going to be o.k. The wound is even deeper and spreading. He keeps licking and chewing at it. It's right above his leg and it's really hard to keep it covered up. My dh came home just a little while ago and I can't wait to tell him the moving ovary stories. Thanks for your replies. I've enjoyed reading them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register