A question for all..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A question for all..... A question for all.....

Unread 10-30-2003, 06:16 PM
A question for all.....

Ok... so here is the situation...

I am one year and one month past the end of chemo and my concern is that the weight still will not come off. I try very hard to eat right and I go to the gym constantly. In fact, 3 weeks ago I joined a new one of those circuit gyms that just opened near my house. I do love it, I go everyday, and the cardio workout along with the weights on the machines is really alot of fun. I already lost an inch off of hips, thighs, waist, and arms.

Well, why does the scale not move except for in the upward direction??? How long does any of that steriod stuff stay in your system?? I did gain weight while getting chemo and no one is concerned except me.

Any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts on this? When I asked my oncologist about this a few months ago, she just said that unfortunately weight gain after chemo for ovarian cancer does happen to women. Well why???

Looking forward for your words of wisdom.
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 06:21 PM
A question for all.....

I'm no expert, but I did have a similar experience the last time I went to a gym. For the first few weeks I swear I actually GAINED weight. I think it might have something to do with increasing muscle mass which is denser than flab. If you're losing inches, that's a good sign.
Unread 10-30-2003, 06:38 PM
A question for all.....

Rosalie,

I think it is just that at our age it takes longer. It's probably been more than 2 years since you tried to loose weight and unfortunately it just takes longer and is harder the older you get.

It is GREAT that you are doing the circuit and eventually the pounds will pop off. In the meanwhile, that
will have you looking buff in no time

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 07:12 PM
A question for all.....

s Rosalie

Loss of circulating estrogen does not help you in the battle to lose weight either. But I do believe our steroid excuse is long gone.
I admire you for trying so hard.
Wishing I could get myself motivated.
I just can't seem to deprive myself of my favorite foods.

karenann
Unread 10-30-2003, 07:22 PM
A question for all.....

Rosalie,

If you are losing fat, but gaining muscle the scale won't move, or may even go up a bit, because muscle weighs more than fat. Losing inches means you are losing fat, because muscle tissue weighs more than fat. Just keep up the good work and you will see results.
Unread 10-30-2003, 10:14 PM
A question for all.....

Rosalie,
Shepherdpal is right - if you are losing inches you are losing fat - just gaining it in muscle.
I have gained 30lbs in the last couple of years. Lost 10 before surgery from stress, the effects of the prednisone I was on, and not being able to eat. After surgery I was unable to eat the hospital food - and I thougth - this is great - I will lose lbs. Well, I have actually gained weight since surgery - and it isn't muscle! I havn't been eating any junk food or sugar. I am making healthy dinners and taking supplements. I don't understand it. I guess I need to start going to a gym. :-)
I prefer to use a pair of jeans to guage weightloss. If they are not snug when they come out the dryer I am doing well! :-)
Keep up the exercising!
Jan
Unread 10-30-2003, 11:31 PM
A question for all.....

Hi, Rosalie!

As others have said, muscle weighs more than fat. So don't worry about that.

One thing I have found that works pretty well for me is to eat a light dinner, e.g., steamed veggies and that's it, or a can of soup and that's it. Dinner seems to be the time when I want to eat the most, and when I crave comfort foods. But if I eat early and light, I find that my weight goes down. Just a thought!
Unread 10-31-2003, 02:17 PM
A question for all.....

Thank You Everyone for all of your wonderful words of wisdom. I have resigned myself to the fact that you are all right about the muscle and fat part. So I will continue to exercise and hopefully be very skinny. LOL LOL

Rosalie
Unread 10-31-2003, 02:54 PM
A question for all.....

Rosalie,

I have the exact same questions. I went so far as to go on Atkins with my husband. It seemed like every time he hopped on the scale he lost another two pounds.

After 5 weeks I lost no weight!!!!!! I didn't eat sugar or carbs which is a real challenge for me. I walked almost every day.

What I finally did was stop weighing myself. I now let my clothes indicate how I am doing. the other way was just getting too discouraging. I did ask my Dr. and he said that caffeine does effect how the body metabolizes food. I am guilty of a few cups of coffee in the morning and I'm not willing to give it up. I guess I will just have to learn to accept myself the way I am.
Unread 10-31-2003, 04:53 PM
A question for all.....

thanks Judy.

I guess we are all just densined to be what we are and you are right about the scale. Clothes do tell. My sister in law has not a clue how much she weighs nor does she care. She also lets her clothes determine if she gained or lost weight. However, I might add, she is not overweight and alot thinner than me!!! LOL

My trainers at the gym said, Would it make you happy weighing 300 pounds and being a size 8?? That kinda got me thinking....300 pounds is a definate NO NO but size 8 did sound wonderful!!

Oh well.... Happy Halloween

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register