New here & scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here & scared! New here & scared!

Unread 10-30-2003, 07:10 PM
New here & scared!

I was diagnosed last Friday with cervical cancer Stage I. I am scheduled for surgery Nov 4th. I will be keeping my ovaries. I am terrified. Worrying myself sick. Worried about waking up sick, cathiter, going from the "other" end in a bed ban?? ick!! I need some calming advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 07:26 PM
New here & scared!

The waiting is the hardest part. It is good that your cancer was found at an early stage. I had never been in a hospital excpet t have my children and I was scared too, but everything went well.
You will find lot's of support and good advice on this board.
Unread 10-30-2003, 07:40 PM
The Nervous Wait

We've all had that nervous wait and all those "what if's." You know--so many of them just won't happen and as the others do, you'll have doctors and nurses helping you. Anesthesia and anti-nausea meds are wonderful now--I kept telling the anesthesiologist beforehand I throw up violently from it--well, I threw up exactly--no times. The catheter--well, not pleasant but the worst part is dragging the bag around while trying to walk--it's embarrassing but hey--we all do it. Also, I thought of it this way--I didn't have to get up out of bed to go...the catheter took care of that. You will likely be cleaned out or constipated and up and about before even having to think of a bed pan. And if you do need one--well, you aren't the first, won't be the last, and staff is used to it--but I'm betting you won't need it. Pain? Ask for medications if you don't have a pump you use yourself--I think from my TAH/BSO the gas pains were worse than surgical pain.
Gas? It WILL eventually come out and you'll not only feel better, you'll be proud! Walking? Hard at first--but yes, you can--after the first couple steps (with someone) you get the momentum. My one solid piece of advice--avoid the lime "jello" and don't expect any hospital food to be recognizable or have any flavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 11:37 PM
New here & scared!

Worrying just makes everything worse. I cried before surgery, but once it was over, it just became a series of obstacles that I had to manage. Surgery hurts. But with each day, the pain subsides and you're one step closer to recovering fully. Try to find some way to calm your mind by meditating or just sitting quietly and trying to center yourself. It's hard, but it helps. Get yourself some men's boxers to wear while you're healing; they're not tight on the staples, and they're comfy. Bring some magazines to the hospital. And be sure to be vocal about any pain you're feeling. Sometimes they have to try a few pain meds before they hit on the right combination.

So sorry you have to go through this, but I know you'll make it through with flying colors!
Unread 10-31-2003, 05:01 AM
New here & scared!

Thanks to all who replied. Talking to others like yourself who have gone through something like this really helps. Today is my last day of work for a while. I plan to clean & get completely organized. I know I will be a mess come Tuesday since surgery isn't until 1:30. I've never been cut into besides a LEEP & Cone and wisdom teeth. I have the shakes but I will be all right. I was told to be positive. Thanks again sisters.
Unread 10-31-2003, 06:33 AM
New here & scared!

Welcome,

I was the biggest baby before hand, and I have to say, you WILL get through it. Most of the time, the catheter is no big deal. Mine was removed before I got out of bed the first time and it never had to go back in (HINT: run water, use a peri bottle, to get things "going" - and don't wait too long to try to pee - I asked for tea as soon as they took the darn thing out and then sat on the potty until I peed).

After they let you out of bed, walk as often as you can (even just a few steps), drink a lot, and take the pain meds - especially the first 48 hours. A pain control pump is the way to go!

Dorrie
Unread 10-31-2003, 07:17 AM
before surgery

Something to keep you busy beforehand is a good thing. I arranged my bedroom so that once I was home, everything was all ready. I moved nightgowns and undies to a top drawer so that I didn't have to bend, made sure all was clean and ready and moved a bigger table to bedside. I also bought a bed tray so that I could just spend my days there for at least the first week. My cousin came to help, so I had help with meals etc. Have on hand some colace or whatever is recommeded for a stool softener/mild laxative. Have some good reading material in the bathroom because you will get to spend alot of time in there waiting for "something" to happen. I found suppositories helped as well. Also, make sure you have some nice comfy clothes available for those first trips out of the house.. elastic waste, stretchy material and loose fitting. You don't want to have to dig through drawers to find this. And, possibly you'll be one of the lucky who just sail through this with no problems. Some do!! It will be fine and it's all VERY manageable. Good luck and stay busy until it's time to go to the castle.
Unread 10-31-2003, 08:00 AM
Good luck on Tuesday

I was a mess before surgery. The waiting is definately the worst part of it all. Once the surgery is over, you just concentrate on healing and getting better. You will be in my .

Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer,1b
Unread 10-31-2003, 08:40 AM
New here & scared!

I didn't know I had cervical cancer until after my surgery. But that didn't make the waiting any easier. I have to admit that the whole surgery/hospital thing was much easier than I had anticipated. Granted, I had a pretty easy surgery. But I was a nervous wreck before hand.

I found a lot of comfort in staying busy and finding a friend here on HS who'd had the same surgery and was a tremendous source of comfort no matter what the topic.

Please keep us posted and email me if you need someone to talk to.

Unread 10-31-2003, 12:24 PM
New here & scared!

You may not believe it now but the waiting really is the worse part. This also was my first operation and my dx was a strong suspicion of endo cancer which they did find at stage 1b. I feared the post op pain but found that the self use pump and later the pills kept the pain under good control. BTW during the first 2 days on almost every visit the nurse would ask if I was in much pain or uncomfortable.
Do try to walk as soon as you can and then get up often to walk even if for just a few minutes. It can help not only with the gas building up in you but to slowly regain some energy. Also drink those fluids. For me the gas pains were the worse but that too passed (pun intended.) You might want to take a phone card and some light reading to the hospital. I will keep you in my ers for a complications free surgery and recovery.
s peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register