Accupuncture/Chiropractic ... Just the thing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Accupuncture/Chiropractic ... Just the thing Accupuncture/Chiropractic ... Just the thing

Unread 11-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Accupuncture/Chiropractic ... Just the thing

Hello sisters!

Been awhile since I have been here. For one thing, I really thought I'd hit the off ramp. Well, I started having shooting pelvic pains again. Had an ultrasound ... ovaries ok.

My GYN gave me two options ... live with it or back to the OR for exploratory surgery and to perhaps remove my ovaries.

Well, I did not like those answers, so I decided to go out of the box and try accupuncture with the idea of getting pain management. The accupuncturist is also a chiropractor. He examined my back and said I had significant nerve swelling in my lower back and that my lower back and pelvis were out of alignment.

He said he did not know if he could help my pelvic pain or not. It might be referred pain from my alignment problem or it might be endo. In any case, he said he knew he could fix my back and that was bound to make me feel better.

I thought 'hmmm... well my back isn't nearly as painful as my pelvis but what the heck ... let's go for it."

Well, it worked. The shooting pelvic pains were gone after just two treatments. I do still go weekly at this point.

No, the needles don't hurt, I usually fall asleep.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Hope it helps someone else!!

Love to you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2003, 08:09 AM

Dear Michelle,

I am so glad that you found something that works for you! That is so great to hear. Now you have relief and still have your ovaries.

I have tried the accupuncture but not a chiropractor/accu person. I am doing PT right now.... and it is helping some as my muscles around my pelvis are really messed up.

Thanks for sharing your success!

Sarah
Unread 11-02-2003, 08:33 PM

Michelle,
I am 7 weeks into accupuncture treatments for my ongoing pain, swelling and gastro issues. While I am not 100% yet, I am seeing some improvement. I have been pleasantly surprised at the knowledge of this doc. For the first time in many many months someone actually told me that I had a little glow. I still have a LONG way to go, doc said I am her most difficult case to date but I have hope once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2003, 07:42 AM

Kim:

I think I know just what you mean about having hope back. My accu/chiro is really a positive kinda guy, but did not give me false hope and he is just tickled that he has helped me at all since he's never had a patient quite like me.

Really, at this point I just needed a doc to say ... hey, I'm not sure I can help, but let's try [something other than surgery]. I seem to respond well to a more holistic approach.

Take care and I hope you reach your wellness goal. Mine is just "pain free" most of the time.
Unread 11-04-2003, 03:54 AM

I just got back from my second treatment yesterday from a massage therapist who specializes in neuromuscular and pain disorders. He also told me at the first visit that I was an usual case. He said my phaso (sp?) muscle on my left side was one of the worst he had ever worked on. He is also doing electrical accupuncture. It has been a painful treatment (the muscle manipulation) but because of this I know that he is getting to the root of the problem. Has anyone noticed after treatments that their body seems to be flushed or slightly feverish feeling? It feels like when you are trying to fight off a slight infection. This also tells me that some healing process is being put into place. I see him again in two days. My left sided pelvic pain is less noticeable and has moved up more into my stomach side. He says this is normal. Good luck to us with this holistic approach. I told him that my urologist wanted me to see a neurologist. He works for one so I asked what the neuro might look for. At first he said he didn't know but when I told him the urologist told me that the bowel, urinary tract and vaginal cuff all feed off the same nerve root he said that the neuro would probably do an MRI of my back to see if there was any nerve entrapment.
Unread 11-04-2003, 07:47 AM

Dear Kelou,

I had neuromuscular massage twice a week for 3 1/2 months.... and yes, I too felt sick afterwards many times... and alot of pain. This was not "enjoyable" massage at all... I used to joke with the therapist it was like torture massage. (He is a highly regarded therapist and his wife is the president of their national association).

The muscle you mentioned is the Psoas muscle. It is a powerful hip flexor. Mine were bad too. I wonder if your iliacus is bad too since those muscles join and form the iliopsoas.. as I understood from the NMT. I recall finding alot of information about pelvic pain associated with the Psoas muscle. I know more about the muscles around my pelvis than a really ever wanted to . Most of the muscles I have trouble with refer pain back into the pelvis so I guess it just makes things worse all around.

I hope the massage helps you. It didn't seem to work for me. Eventually the NMT told me that he thought something else was going on that was triggering all of the muscle things because the trigger points would never stay "released" ... and after 3 1/2 months they should have.

Do you have back pain? I will be interested to hear what you find out. I don't have back pain but I wonder if you can still have pinched nerves even without back pain.

Many s

Sarah
Unread 11-04-2003, 11:00 AM

SBlumen,
Thanks for the proper name of the muscle. Now I can do a little more research on it. I do not have back pain. It has been chronic left sided pain in the groin area. It feels like a pulling sensation that gets tighter and has a more congested feeling when I sit in an upright position. The other feeling that I have that makes me wonder about nerve pain is a generalized sensation of constant irritation in the bowel, vagina and bladder. At first I thought this irritation was a result of surgery but it has continued too long now. It feels similar to an infection of the bladder or vaginitis or bowel irritation although all of those areas are free of infection now. At night it becomes restless leg syndrome. I have been taking Restoril 30 mg each night and this med calms it down also. This morn I went for a walk at the track with my DS and a friend, when I got home I felt more irritation. I do notice after walking or standing too much I can bend at the hip and there is a lot of tension in my lower back that seems to release with the stretching. (Throughout my life during long shopping strips of an hour or more I always found myself bending at the hip to relieve my back tension) I never thought of that before now. I do have a slight curvature of the spine. This morn I decided to take a xanax to see if it calmed it down. It did but now a few hours later sitting here at the computer it is returning. It gets worse just prior to a bowel movement (within a few minutes of movement). And stays more irritated for awhile after. I know that the muscle that the therapist is manipulating is deep under the descending colon and I suspect as movement passes by that muscle it seems to exacerbate it. The psoas muscle on the right side is tender when he manipulates it too, but only a fraction as much. I have decided to be referred to the neurologist since my insurance is finally paying at 100% until January. I want to get any more expensive testing done before the first of the year. I will report after that visit. Thanks again for the spelling, it was hard to comprehend it when he said it.
Unread 11-05-2003, 02:59 PM

I have a question for you about a continuing sore spot, in spite of stretching faithfully and the manipulations by the chiro/accu dr.

When I pull my bent right leg to my chest but point the knee to the left shoulder (I am lying on my back) I feel a real tenderness in the spot where the inner thigh meets the lower abdomen. I don't have that tenderness if I repeat the same action with the left leg. Hmmmmm.... Any ideas out there? Thanks for any help/advice or research tips. My chriro/accu doc didn't have anything to say about the subject. He's a deep thinker and will probably do some research of his own and will have something to tell me next week.

BTW ... Sunday I had a big set back. Back to the Darvocet for a day. Wow, I forgot what that kind of pain was like. My chiro/accu said it was a "flare" and hoped that with continued treatment we could keep the "flares" spaced few and far between. It had been 6 weeks since the last time I felt that tremendously bad. I can take one bad day every 6 weeks, especially if I have Darvocet to dull the pain (took 2 on Sunday - one at lunch and one before bed). That is what I am telling myself anyway ... that maybe I have found a way to reduce the occurrance and any relief is welcome.

Of course, my prayer for all of us is full recovery.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register