The dilemma of hair..... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The dilemma of hair..... The dilemma of hair.....

Unread 11-04-2003, 05:32 PM
The dilemma of hair.....

Hi, Julie!

I just went to a company (that I do contract writing for) for the first time without my wig today. My hair is about half a centimeter or a bit longer, but it is the color of a mouse! It is not a color that is in the 64-color box of Crayolas that many of up do our mental color mapping to. Nor is it a color combination of any of the crayons in that box mixed together. It is a non-color. But! I was getting tired of my wig, so I just decided to go without.

My big dilemma will be in about an hour. I have a first meeting with a possible new client. Do I wear the wig or just look super artsy without? I just don't know. I think I will feel a little more comfortable with another centimeter of hair . . . and some hair dye! I might try a semi-permanent organic dye first, just to try out a new color or something.

I'll bet your co-workers were super supportive and told you how cute you looked, right? Just dress up like a girl and be a girl with no hair! I wear pretty dramatic makeup (if you call dark lipstick and eyebrow pencil dramatic), and I had a lot of people tell me they liked my look better without the wig. The wig is super cute. But it's nice to just be artsy-looking without it. A black turtleneck sweater completes the bohemian artiste look!

Congrats on finding the courage to BE YOURSELF! (BTW -- My last "big" chemo was August 4. I wonder if my hair growth is slowed due to the weekly chemo, or it's growing out on schedule. But I have no basis for comparison, so who knows?)

Moonflower --

I love what your friend said! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Liberated!

Moonflower.....your friend is 100% right.

Sirensong! Go for it! I really feel empowered and much more confidant with who I am and where I am in this journey. I will be going to work tomorrow with alot more confidence in this new look.....and maybe it will help others that just aren't comfortable without a wig, hat, etc. It is important to do what makes you comfortable.....three weeks ago I was not ready.....today I am just pleased that I have mentally come this far with increased confidence of accepting myself with this "look", which truly isn't so bad. Readily accepted in men! This confidence radiates to those around me---today was empowering for me. My DH gave me a note today of how proud he was of me!......and I am proud of all of you----what a group of friends I have here!
Julie
Unread 11-04-2003, 09:46 PM
The dilemma of hair.....

I finished my chemo at the end of June. I spent most of the summer not wearing any wig or hats at home. When I went out, I wore a hat or a short wig. I started a new job in September, so I've been wearing my wig to work.

Today...was my 1st day with no wig!!! It freaked out a couple of people, but it was ok. My hair is about 1-1/2 to 2 inches long. I colored it back to my normal color and had to trim the back. (or as my sister says, I had a bump and paint job!)

I'm so happy to be done with the wig!!

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 10:29 PM
The dilemma of hair.....

Julie, Linda, Sirensong

I am so proud of all of you for taking that first big step. As far as I'm concerned, the baldness is our badge of courage and should be worn proudly. Look what we've all been through, and we're still standing.

I have about four inches of hair now. When people comment on my lovely curls, I always tell them I earned every one of them!

Big group
Unread 11-05-2003, 10:22 AM
The dilemma of hair.....

Moonflower:

You most certainly have earned every one of those curls! I'll have to remember that when mine is long enough to look curly!

I can't wait to have 4" of hair!!!

S
Unread 11-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Julie,

I bought a great wig that I never once wore. I loved my bald head and still do. Karen is right about the "rush" of the wind on your head. I was so terrified of losing my hair but when I did, it was ok. It actually made me feel so much better. This is where I am right now...bald! I just finished chemo on 10/8 and so I am awaiting what will be my "new" hair. I can feel a stubble right now. I think the baldness was the most wonderful and free-ing part of the treatment - for me at least. That was one of the things I had a choice about. And in the colder weather now, i do wear a hat (it can get really cold up there!)!
Unread 11-09-2003, 10:11 AM
The dilemma of hair.....

I finished chemo in March and in July began going out without the bandanna. My hair had always been wavy and dyed medium brown. I had wanted to stop dying it, but it grew in silver gray and curly. I like the color, and blow drying it loosen some of the curls. i had wanted to stop dying it, but didn't want to deal with the growing out stage, and being bald spared me from that. My hair is about 2 a inches long, and very soft. I have not yet cut or styled it, and tell people that this is the make over God gave me!
My son said the siver hair suits me, becuase my head ia always in the clouds and now i have a silver lining!
Unread 11-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Thank you all.....once again!

It is just such a blessing to come here for support....conversations that family and friends just really don't understand only because they have not been there.

Bald it is.....one week today and liberating! It is salt and pepper and propbably 1/4 inch. It is getting cold here in Maine now so the ear warmers are on for the walks. My finally being comfortable with myself might help someone else...that's my greatest strength. I love the silver lining! I will remember that one.

You gals are the best!

Julie
Unread 11-10-2003, 06:04 PM
The dilemma of hair.....

Dear Julie,

My hair is about the same length as yours. Maybe half an inch now. Not sure. I shot a wedding on Saturday without my wig (since I thought it might rain), and a guest came up to me and reminded me that she had been with a friend in the chemo room a few weeks back, and that she'd held my hand while they were putting the IV needle in. I'm sure she wouldn't have recognized me with my wig. Anyway, I still feel prettier with hair or a wig, but once I get my hair dyed, I'll probably feel a bit better about the short hair. Right now, my hair is the color of a mouse.

Has anyone switched to organic, natural dyes? Or are people just going back to the same old dyes? My mom is freaking out about microwaves and hair dye and basically anything I do that she herself doesn't do. But she may have a point, because she's totally healthy. So . . . I'm confused about the hair dye issue.

s!
Unread 11-10-2003, 07:26 PM
The dilemma of hair.....

Well Siren.... I did regular hair dye. In my case, not to cover the gray, thankfully I do not have any, but rather to lighten the dark color that it came back in. My dye color is now caramel!! I also still use the microwave. OH Well..

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register