The dilemma of hair..... - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The dilemma of hair..... The dilemma of hair.....

Unread 11-10-2003, 11:34 PM
The dilemma of hair.....

I decided not to do the wig thing. I have been having fun with hats. I have neighbors that have made me some great 100% cotton hats. I have a Halloween theme hat and a Christmas theme hat. I have hats made from a yarn that looks a bit like hair. Hats are great. But.... when it's not too cold outside I LOVE to go without my hat. I often forget that I don't have hair until I notice somebody trying to sneak a casual curious glance without being noticed. I walk around with my head held high. My bald head is my personal sign of bravery and courage and survival. When I go to pick up my son from school I gladly explain to his curious classmates why I have no hair. I have a bit of fun too. When I took my son for a haircut I asked his barber if he could do something about my cut. Hahahaha. But guess what I am really looking forward too BEFORE my hair grows back??!! This weekend I am getting henna on my head!! It will be like a tattoo but temporary. Henna lasts roughly 4 weeks. I have chosen a vine pattern that will circle and fill in where my hair would be. There is a website... www.chemochicks.com with a section called The Bald and The Beautiful....that has a picture of a head with the henna on it.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Hair...

Good for you Sirensong.....my hair is also mouse colored. Right now I haven't even thought about changing(color) it. It will be interesting to see what it looks like as it grows out. I am sure I may change my mind.....always have had my hair frosted in the past. Interesting thought on the microwave.....anyone else have any thoughts on that subject......and also the natural hair dyes. I would be interested to know also.

Julie
Unread 11-11-2003, 01:39 PM
The dilemma of hair.....

Burnt Meadow,

Re: Microwave - a friend of mine e-mailed me this past weekend, citing a study which showed that microwaving broccoli - that was the only vegetable that she mentioned - destroyed the flavonoids.

Flavonoids "...combat oxidation, a process in which cell-damaging substances called free radicals accumulate". So, flavonoids are good.

I rarely use a microwave, and never for vegetables.

And, on the topic of hair and hairdye - well, I used to get my hair streaked a couple of times a year, as my hair did not 'grab' hairdye well, so gave up on that quite soon. Then used the Clairol product that was vegetable based (my understanding) - you know, the one that is in an aerosol can and foams out, and washes out in 6 shampoos or something - for me, it was 2 shampoos! So then went into streaking, which I will look forward to doing again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2003, 06:17 PM
The dilemma of hair.....

My hair came back its normal color, dishwater blond with gray. I went to my hairdresser and we've been applying color since June. However, we did find that the color didn't last more than two weeks before it turned brassy. I read it is not uncommon for hair not to retain dye for up to a year after chemo. I have also noticed that my hair is now a different texture at the roots than at the ends, stronger and thicker.

--Wintermoon - You go for it! I saw a segment on TV about a woman going through chemo who had her head tattooed with henna. I thought it was such a great idea and looked like fun. I wish I had known about it when I was without hair, I would have done it in a minute. Let us know how your vines turn out.

--Siren, Burnt Meadow - Wild Rose is correct, microwaving does change the chemical composition of foods. And of course we've all heard the sad tale about the woman who popped her newly bathed poodle in the microwave to dry
Unread 11-14-2003, 06:35 AM
bald head

My hair was just beginning to grow back when I went back to school. I wore
my baseball caps (I had 14 of them so I could be "color coordinated!". Found
that with working w/o AC in classroom, I needed to go hatless. My students
staff handled it so then I did it throughout the school. By July was going
hatless all the time--even did 2 weddings! Now that it's NOV, my head gets
cold outside so I am back to hats when outside, but that's it.

I felt my bald head (well never totally bald) was a "badge of survivorship" and
wore it proudly. I did find I had to change my make-up and even splurged
on some earrings that complimented my new look!

Cindi
Unread 11-15-2003, 08:55 AM
speaking of hair

I am going today, in an hour, to have my shoulder length hair cut into a pixie style.

I have decided to quit worrying about the 'fashion police' and do what will be best for me. And that is a style I can wash and let go while going through these rad. treatments.
Then before chemo begins, I'll have it cut back again so I don't have to watch 'huge' amounts come out.

I so admire you women and your strength concerning your braveness.

You go girls!!!

nancy j
Unread 11-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Ode to Hair

Good luck Nancy....
I actually had my head shaved 2 weeks after my first chemo....that morning it had started to come out and was on my pillow when I woke up. Got through the work day and went for the new look! The hair on the pillow was the hardest part for me....I actually grew into being comfortable with going into public over time with my new look. It has actually helped my selfesteem more than I ever anticipated. My DH tells me how beautiful I look every day.....Another funny thing. When I was in my teens I always had long hair and always felt my ears were too big and never let them show. Well, believe me they show now! But my strength comes from within....not on the outside any more and that shows where ever I go. It is an interesting journey.....I have gained alot of wisdom on the way and it still continues!
Bless you all!

Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register