Talcum Powder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Talcum Powder Talcum Powder

Unread 11-04-2003, 01:11 AM
Talcum Powder and Ovarian Cancer

A recent post queried the relationship bewteen talc and ovca.

I have read that talc contains traces of ASBESTOS and this was one of the first questions they asked my MIL when they were doing a work up for OvCa. She did use talc and she did have advanced ovarian cancer.

The problem is apparently when traces of talc work their way up the vagina when you put talc in your knickers. Obviously not everyone would develop cancer but as a result I have never used talc.

So it isnt an urban myth and why take chances.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/co...tearea=&level=

or

http://sahusain.freeyellow.com/page8.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 04:36 AM
Talcum Powder

Yeap, it is frequently listed as a risk factor.
But I never used it, and I too was diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer.
How about you other ovca gals? Just curious.
oxox karenann
Unread 11-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Talcum Powder

I've never used talc either, and heard about the link a couple of years ago. My feeling now is why take a chance using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Talcum Powder

This is great information. Thanks for posting these websites. I am wondering now why they haven't pulled talc from the store shelves! You probably also breath a certain amount of that stuff when it poofs around the bathroom. I'm sure as heck not going to use it anymore - I'll try something else.
Unread 11-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Talcum Powder

No talc here.
I also had used birth control for several years (rest the ovaries) and had one pregnancy (another rest for the ovaries). No other listed risk factors here, either.
Gilda Radner had discussed some of these factors in her book. She mentioned how her diet was poor and full of the infamous red dye #5.
There are so many unknowns (as we all know).
Unread 11-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Talcum Powder

Yikes!!!

Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I have liberally used baby powder since heaven knows when. I LOVE powder after a shower or bath! My 3 daughters have used it too.

Crap.
Unread 11-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Talcum Powder

Yes,
I too used talcum powder liberally since I can remember. I stopped after diagnosis. I still miss the big dusting after a shower or bath but am afraid to use it now. I remember I always got perfume and dusting powder sets for Christmas or birthdays.

I think we will always wonder what one factor (if indeed it was one factor) caused our cancer.

Ruth S
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Talcum Powder

I had an early stage of ovarian cancer and was fortunate that a hysterectomy got all of it. I asked my doctor if there was any relation to talc powder and the cancer and he said that there are contaminents in talc powder that could cause ovarian cancer.
I use the non talc now, Summers Eve or Vagisal. They are more expensive, but well worth it.
Unread 11-04-2003, 11:00 PM
New to me

Have used the "shower to shower" powder for years....interesting to see this post. I had not heard that one before.

Julie
RAH 05/09/03
Ovarian Mucinous Carcinoma
Stage 1a Grade 2
3 rounds carboplatin/taxol
Unread 11-05-2003, 07:27 AM
Don't worry, powder lovers!

Yes, I used talc too but have switched to the ones that are cornstarch rather than talc. A bit more expensive but worth the peace of mind - though I do wonder if it's just exactly the same as what's in my kitchen cupboard and cost 59 cents!

Pam

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register