Swollen ankle - what could this be? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swollen ankle - what could this be? Swollen ankle - what could this be?

Unread 11-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Swollen ankle - what could this be?

For the past few days, I've been having a really hard time with my left leg. It started Friday night, after I walked for over 2 hours, trick or treating with the kids. At that time, the arthritis in my knee flared so badly that I was having a hard time walking.

It was still bad on Sunday, so I decided to wear a wollen knee support that realieves such arthritic flare ups. I was doing ok, until my leg started to feel heavy, this afternoon. When I checked, to my horror, my ankle and foot were extremely swollen: 2 or 3 times their normal size.

I immedietally removed the knee support, thinking it might have been too tight, and put my feet up. That was around 2 pm.

It's now 10:30 and the swelling is down, a bit. But the ankle is still twice it's notmal size, is sore and feels hot. I plan to head to the ER, should it still be like this tommorrow morning: I'm a bit scared.

What could be causing this? Could it be the arthritis flaring? It's never done that before!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 09:27 PM

(((Dany))) it does sound like the knee support might have been restricting the circulation in your lymphatic system, especially since it was the same leg (at least that's what I understood you to say). I think the lymphatic drainage is compromised in many of us during the hyst anyway, I know that even when my hormones are feeling really good otherwise I still have some ankle swelling all the time. For me, putting my feet up for a while helps quite a lot.

If it doesn't go down after keeping your feet up, I agree, you need to have it checked out. Feel better soon!

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-05-2003, 04:33 PM

Dany, How's the leg and ankle? Did you go to the ER? I'm hoping everything is okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 04:50 PM

Dany;
If you have been on your feet for a long period, plus you have tied the bandage too tight, that might do the swelling. I hope you are in good health otherwise, because swollen ankles can also be a precurser to heart problems. Check with your dr. if the problem persists.

Beate
Unread 11-05-2003, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info, (((Linda))) and (((Beate)))). I think it might have been a combination of the bandage being on for too long: it wasn't too tight, because it's a sleeve-type support bandage and it's just the right size for me. But having it on for the most part of three days was too much!!

Removing the support, resting and keeping my foot up as much as possible did reduce the swelling: this morning, it was practically back to normal.

However, I know it's also the arthritis acting up: the ankle is back to being swollen tonight, though not as much. And it hurst and it's red. Guess I'll have to stock up on the Celebrex again

Oh, btw, what really freaked me out was that I wasn't standing: I have a sit-down job.

Oh, and Beate, possible heart problems was the first thing that came to mind since it's rampant in my family.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register