So Tired of Bad News | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So Tired of Bad News So Tired of Bad News

Unread 11-04-2003, 09:01 PM
So Tired of Bad News

I'm back from appointment with my gyn/onc. I am 7 days post op from my hysterectomy and had the staples removed.

I had already braced myself for the fact that I was facing radiation treatments ( 5 weeks/5 a week). And now he says I will also be having chemo after the radiation. I am so tired of trying to build up my faith and strength only to be slapped down every time.
Immediately after surgery, the surgery team told me and the family that everything looked great and I was 99.9% assured of just going home to heal up.
That was before the path report.

My cancer was in the uterus, which was removed, along with tubes, ovaries. Cancer was very small and had not gotten into the wall of the uterus. It would have been classified as a 1A and I'd be healing up ready for a new life EXCEPT he took 10 lymph nodes and one of them showed cancer.
So that upped my staging and grade to a IIIC and Grade 3.

Now, not only do I have to get myself ready emotionally for this, I have to make a decision as to whether or not I want to participate in a clinical trial?
Without clinical trial, I will have radiation treatments and then chemo of doxorubicin and cisplatin.
If I do the trial, I will have either the above, or the above plus paclitaxel.
And I have no choice as to which group I would be put into it. It is a clinical study in Phrase 3.

Decisions?
Shoot, I can't even decide where I left the Kleenex....I know I've been through two boxes of them.

Anyone have encouraging words?

Doctors' quote about my cancer, "It's some bad stuff and moving quickly."

Thank you for being here for me,
nancy j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 09:32 PM
So Tired of Bad News

Nancy,

I am sorry you have to go thru this. I was also told that the surgey had gotten all the cancer, only to find that it had spread, was agressive and I needed high dose chemo. It is very scary, but I got thru it with much prayer, support of family, friends and the women on this board who truly understand and were and still are there with me each step of the day. Chemo was hard, but doable. i finished in March and all tests have shown no cancer since January. You can get thru this. The chemo I had was Taxol(Paclitaxol), Cisplatin, a nd ifosfamide. Please keep in touch and know you are in my prayers
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Debbie

I am so glad you are receiving clear checkups!!! How wonderful for you and your family.

Thank you for writing to encourage me. Seems like I am always coming here needing something. I pray there will come a day that I can be here to help someone.

Blessings to you,
nancy j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Prayers are with you.....

Hi Nancy,
You will be surprised how strong you can be......I hope you have alot of support around you, that has been my greatest blessing. You will get through this, one day at a time. And the day will come that you will be an inspiration and cheerleader for someone else. This is an awesome place to go for support. Wishing you the best! You are in my prayers.
Julie

Radical hyster 05/09/03
Ovarian Mucinous Carcinoma Stage 1a grade 2
"To Thine Ownself Be True"
Unread 11-05-2003, 12:35 AM
So Tired of Bad News

Nancy - I can't offer you advice - but I can give you a HUG! (((((((NANCY))))))). I am just so glad your Dr had the foresight to remove lymph nodes!
What does your ONC think you should do as far as the clinical trial?
I know you can get through this. It's going to be a challenge, but you are much stronger than you think.
Jan
Unread 11-05-2003, 05:29 AM
So Tired of Bad News

(((((((NANCY))))))) Here's a hug from me too...I am sorry that you're going through all of this. It's so hard to make these decisions when you're still absorbing what you've just been told.

I believe I read a post re: getting another pathologist to read your slides. Is this something you're considering? It might be worth another look. Like the rest of us, pathologists do make mistakes.

I will be thinking about you and hope your doctors can help guide you thru your decisions.

Take care ~
Unread 11-05-2003, 08:19 AM
So Tired of Bad News

Nancy--

I'm sorry to hear you will be needing chemo in addition to radiation. I can't imagine how disappointed you must be after hearing that things looked "99.9% good" right after your surgery. I'm not sure why some doctors give out such glowing information initially, before they have all of the pathology information. I think it's much worse to hear wonderful news first, only to be told later that the news is not as good as initially reported. My friend was told she would not need chemo for breast cancer, only to have another oncologist strongly recommend chemo some time later. She was really devastated about the good-then bad news to say the least.

I'll just reiterate what I've previously said regarding getting a second pathology evaluation. Since both your radiation and chemo are being driven by the pathologist's finding of one positive lymph node, I would want to make certain that the pathologist's determination was correct. I believe you have too much at stake not to be 100% sure that the pathology findings on the node were in fact correct. As previously suggested, I'd opt for one of the big cancer centers (Hopkins or MD Anderson) to do the pathology review.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

MoeKay
Unread 11-05-2003, 11:10 AM
So Tired of Bad News

Be proactive.!!
My surgery was in July and was told that it had invaded the cervix and that even though no lymph nodes were effected that chemo was RX.
I called for a copy of the pathology the next day and had the same report reviewed by personal physician who is the smartest DR. I know. She called to tell me that I had the most common form of uterine cancer that had no spread. I asked about the cervix and she sounded surprised. I told her want the gyn/onc had said and she said the patholog reported no cervix involvement.
She tends to be somewhat cynical and informed me that the doctors are paid for any patient enrolled in clinical trials and he MAY have been looking for participants.
I am not inferring that this is what is going on. Just be proactive and seek the opinions of others. Many if needed.
I had my parthology reviewed at a not for profit lab and they concured with my personal physician.
Good luck. This is doaboe. I have only five radiation treatments to go. Three external and two internal and I feel fine.
Jean
Unread 11-05-2003, 12:03 PM
So Tired of Bad News

Nancy --

A second opinion is always a good idea, and since you have a few weeks before chemo can start, you might feel better doing something active. You can have your path redone, or you can get a second opinion from another oncologist, maybe one at a regional medical center. There are sensitivity tests done on cancer tissue where they look to see what combos of drugs work best. Not every oncologist "believes" in them, but if you are contemplating a couple of regimes, it might be worth a question.

I can imagine you feel like there is nothing but bad news here On the other hand, be thankful that your was so thorough that even with what looked like a small cancer, he did a careful staging and found your lymph node so that you can be treated.

Dorrie
Unread 11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
So Tired of Bad News

Hi Nancy..

After my surgery, I too, was asked to participate in a trial study. I immediately thought, "Oh gosh,, I must be dying or really in bad shape". However, the contrary was true. MY doctor said that because I was youngish and healthy in every other way, I was a good candidate. They were going to give my taxol, carboplatin, and then add something else. I had ovarian cancer.

Well, to make a long story short I did not participate because there were lots of hidden extras that were not told to me from the beginning so check things out thoroughly. Just to name a few, there would have been 8 chemos instead of 6 ( not really a big deal) but then I was told that sometimes the chemos would be a few days a week and that a hospital stay might be necessary.

The final straw was when they gave me the name and number of someone already in the study. Well this girl was soo sick and had not been back to work in over a year. This really turned me off.

I know that trial studies are good but they may not be for everyone.

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register