Shaving..........down There?????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shaving..........down There?????? Shaving..........down There??????

Unread 11-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Shaving..........down There??????

My DH and I went to my pre-op visit today, well I found out a lot of things I wasn't prepared for......I had several questions for him which he answered with no problems, then he informed, that I have to be shaved or I can shave all my hair off (down there).. Now here is the question???? I am quite fluffy, so how do I do it..I would prefer not to have a nurse do this. Why do we have to shave, I know that for child birth they don't do that anymore. So why now.

Not to mention the enema.............. Boy am I going to have a busy day Thursday...........

PS. DR said mostly likely I will have a TVH!! That's great... Is it true that the pain is like pressure during your period..(my DR explanation)

Mrs Kitty

tvh/calcified fibroids, severe pelvic pain, heavy 10 days periods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 11:34 PM

hi.....as far as shaving goes, i cant give you any suggestions on that other than if youre more comfortable doing it yourself rather than the nurse doing it, lather up real well in the tub and go for it!..haha.............as far as the TVH goes (I also had A&P repairs and bladder/ rectal repositioning), you'll be surprised at how little pain is involved with this surgery (as long as all goes as planned with no complications)...when i first woke from surgery there was some intense pain from lack of pain management..once the correct pain meds were in my system the pain went from a 9 to a 1 (on a pain scale of 1-10, 10 being the worse)...i was given a shot of Demoral 4 hrs after my surgery and another one 7 hrs later..the day after surgery i was on oral Darvocet and was up walking around..i was discharged early that afternoon..i was off all pain meds by day 3 post-op...the gas pains are the ones you need to be prepared for..they're a real doozy when they hit!..walking, walking, and more walking, and pushing your fluids (preferably water) will help a great deal with the gas pains.......remember to always follow YOUR dr's orders and dont hesiate to call your dr with any and all concerns.......wishing you an uneventful surgery and recovery.
Unread 11-05-2003, 01:18 AM

i was never asked to shave and the docs didnt do it either... i had hairs growing out of my incision still afterwards. i guess shaving is a preference for some doctors and not for others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 01:23 AM

If your hospital has said you can shave yourself (many don't)
then you should check how much they want removed - maybe it is just a bit at the hair line?

However, if you are concerned about how awkward it will be -- it is usual for the hospital to shave you when you are asleep.

I had the choice to do it myself or let them do it.
I let them do it,because I had read so many posts warning me that the surgery could be postponed if there was a cut in that area.

After reading all the advice I received, I would never encourage anyone to shave themselves before surgery - especially if the were not in the habit of doing it.

I *know* it feels embarrassing, (and I can tell you that at MY hospital they didn't wait til I was asleep!!!) - but really, they've seen it all, and in the big picture it is a small thing.

best wishes
Unread 11-05-2003, 04:26 AM

During my pre-op appt, my doctor told me that I could shave or the nursing staff could. Since I had never shaved down there, I said that they could do it. It took all of about 5 minutes with an electric razor in the pre-op room of the castle. The nurse knew exactly what she was doing, preserved as much of my modesty as possible, and provided more warm blankets afterwards.

As for me, since I didn't know exactly what to do, I was happy to let the experienced staff do it.

Good Luck.
Unread 11-05-2003, 05:15 AM

When I had my surgery, they just shaved about an inch off the top after I was asleep. You asked why they do this, with surgery, you have an open wound. Any foreign object like hair can cause serious infections, so some doctors prefer to have the area shaved.

However, I agree with Cheryl, please do not do it yourself if your doctor has not specifically told you to. I used to be a nurse on a surgical ward, and after a couple of over-zealous nursing students took it upon themselves to shave a patient without doctors orders, the patient's surgery was cancelled!! Any nicks or cuts in the area can harbor bacteria which can cause infection, so it's better to be safe than sorry. ONLY do what your doctor tells you to do.

As for how to shave yourself when you're fluffy, you might try looking in the mirror or see if your DH can do it for you. Or just wait and let the nurses do it. As Cheryl said, they've seen it all and are very professional with the whole procedure.

s,

Lisa
Unread 11-05-2003, 07:03 AM

Mine was a TAH and I was shaved only about an inch down. I didn't know whether they were going to do it but it didn't matter because I was already asleep. They didn't do a very neat job and I felt kind of prickly afterwards, as soon as I could wear undies. Actually, since I've been home I got a wild hair and shaved it all off myself. Especially if you're fluffy, I'd suggest cutting with a scissors as much as possible before using a razor. You might ask a guy who's shaved off a beard how he did it.

As others have said, if you aren't comfortable, let the nurse take care of it. As far as enemas go, I didn't have one but that may be the difference between an "A" and a "V". The is definitely going in from a different direction.

Don't worry too much about your dignity in the Castle. After 3 days of nothing but clear liquids, the nurse told me they couldn't release me until I'd had a BM. Pretty hard to do with nothing in there. So in the middle of the night, she came in and shoved a suppository up my wazoo. I just started laughing--what else can you do?

Good luck and keep in touch.
Unread 11-05-2003, 07:45 AM

Okay... the best way to shave down there is to first use an electric shaver and follow up with a wet shave.

Better still get someone with a steady hand to do it for you... it can be fun!

Ann
Unread 11-05-2003, 11:59 AM

Sorry - I missed the question on pain. I didn't have TVH, but I had TAH.... *maybe* that is more painful because of the incision - but I don't know....

in anycase I have to say that I did NOT suffer a lot of pain.
I was on intravenous pain killers for 24 hours after surgery, and then nothing except a few extra strength tylenol ... my pain was never worse than strong menstrual cramps.
I don't consider myself to be particularly pain tolerant.....

everyone reacts differently....but that's my story.
Unread 11-05-2003, 12:08 PM
word from the land down under...ha..wink ;)

I would leave modesty at the door & allow the nurses shave it for me...I am looking forward to getting a smooth area....ha...ha...

I am hairy as well...and I hate body hair, so the dr. made a joke about how little they would have to shave for surgery...I keep it trimmed...wink..wink...

Anyway...
I am as modest as the next person, but I am not going to allow MY surgery be called off because I nicked myself during shaving...so by the time I get to surgery on the 10th the nurses sure are going to have their work cut out for them...ha..ha..

I wouldnt be worried about that...by the time you get back home I am sure you will tell us that you made it thru it just fine...

while your area is getting shaved try to think about something else....that always helps me....

Imagine my embarrassment...when my dr. gave me my breast exam he did it in a way that tickled me around my arm pits...I could help but laugh...then the dr. laughed & the nurse laughed as well...it helped lighten the seriousness of the situation...

I hope that your trip to the castle turns out fine...and you are back on here in no time....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register