air contrast barium enema? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

air contrast barium enema? air contrast barium enema?

Unread 11-05-2003, 09:02 AM
air contrast barium enema?

Has anyone had one of these? I'm scheduled for next week and would sure appreciate some realistic advice. The nurse at the hospital said I would be able to drive myself home afterwards... is she right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 03:00 PM

Sorry Kate...

That is new to me but then again I am also fairly new to all of this. I am sure that someone will be along soon with more information.

Rosalie
Unread 11-05-2003, 03:59 PM

I had one a few years ago, and drove myself as I was not given any kind of medication/sedative.

For me it was a creamy white substance in, get this, a caulking gun type apparatus! They inject it and they also pump air in your rectum. Sorry so graphic - it's hard not to when talking on this subject. To be honest, I don't remember much more since I've had so many different tests/problems. But it's not "painful", only uncomfortable as you have to hold it in while they x-ray you. I had to defacate (sp?) into a makeshift toilet while they shot moving multiple x-rays. Talk about embarassing!

Don't worry, it sounds much worse than it really is.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 08:01 PM

Kate,

From the sound of it, from Rosalie, and from an "official" info sheet (in the link)
http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/2727.html
You should be OK so long as you are not totally worn out by the bowel prep before hand. I would also suggest that you give yourself a bit of time to make sure your bowel is really empty before getting in that car!

I've been scanned and rescanned - but I've not had this one

Dorrie
Unread 11-05-2003, 08:15 PM

Yes, Kateincanada, you would be able to drive home following a barium enema. I had one 5 years ago. I was so scared before the procedure. The procedure was the easy part, the swallowing the Ducolax and later swallowing that awful liquid, 4 litres, was a bit much. Make sure you reserve the toilet, and that you have lots of toilet paper on hand. My butt went through 2 rolls and I had a ring on it for 3 days after.

The procedure is done in the Xray Department usually in a hospital. You are strapped down on a table, because it moves from side to side to coat the bowels. Then barium is injected into the anus and a few pictures are taken. Then the fun part starts with the gas, although they have modified how much they are going to pump in because of the table moving from side to side. It is a lot easier. One thing you have to remember when you are finished to drink lots and lots of liquids that day to clear the barium.

Hope this clarifies. By the way this procedure was done at the Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga, ON. Yes I'm a Canuck too.

Good Luck,
Beate
Unread 11-06-2003, 09:40 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm not so nervous now...
Unread 11-08-2003, 08:31 PM

Hi Kate, I am an x-ray tech and would like to tell you that the BE with air as we call it, is uncomfortable but we as the tech try as hard as we can to get it over with asap but thoroughly. The other ladies are correct about the prep, it is the worse part.
The exam is as follows, put a small tube into the anus and then fill the bowel with the barium. After the bowel is coated then the barium is drained out and then some air is pumped into the colon to separate the barium from the walls of the colon, shows wonderful detail of the bowel and any "hidden problems". The Radiologist will take a few pictures and then the technologist will take some different views on different film. Take out the tube get you to the restroom and let you empty out your colon, Warning!!!
you will be very gassy and feel bloated but other than that, drink lots of fluid and go with your day! Hope this clears up some mystery for you!!!

Good luck and best wishes, Patrice TAH cervical cancer 11/1999

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register