How long before Trazodone works for Insomnia?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before Trazodone works for Insomnia?? How long before Trazodone works for Insomnia??

Unread 11-05-2003, 01:25 PM
How long before Trazodone works for Insomnia??

I have been having severe insomnia pretty much ever since I had LAVH/BSO on 1/16/02. I have tried absolutely everything over the counter and prescription sleep aids. I was on Premarin 0.3 for years before hysterectomy and also after hysterectomy. Then after all the bad publicity regarding estrogen, my dr. took me off altogether. In April of this year dr. put me back on Premarin 0.65 because of the insomnia. After taking the Premarin again, I was doing better with the insomnia for about 3 months and then back to not sleeping. I had asked Dr. if I could be low on testosterone, maybe do a test, but he responded very negative. My dr. also did not want to give me Estrace instead of the Premarin. Now since last week I am on Premarin 0.3 and he also prescribed Trazodone 50 mg for the insomnia (per my request). I am supposed to take a ½ tablet one-half hour before bed. I have been taking it for the last 5 nights, and I am still not sleeping. I am anxious to get off the drug if it does not help me with the insomnia. Does anybody know how long it might take for Trazodone to work? Does anyone have any experience with the drug? I don't need it for depression. I would surely appreciate some comments. I don’t know what else to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 01:45 PM

Hi,

I have suffered from insomnia for 3 years now.

I....like you.....tried everything and nothing seemed to work. My PCP put me on Trazadone 50mg......still nothing.....so he upped the dose to 100mg......still nothing.....Finally put me on 150mg. about a year ago and it helps me tremendously.

I realize this is an extremely large dosage....as a matter of fact....I think it's the strongest dosage available.....but it has really worked wonders for me. I was only sleeping 1 to 2 hours a night....and now I get around 6 hours of sleep.

So.....I think if I were you that I would call the Dr. and let him know that this dosage is not working for you. When I finally found the correct dosage the change was immediate. I didn't have to wait 5 or 6 days to see if it worked or not.

Hope this helps.
Unread 11-05-2003, 06:54 PM

((((Renate)))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough time since your hyst

My DS, who has various health problems, was on Trazodone to help him sleep from age 7 until just after he turned 12.

Now, bear in mind he was only 7 when he first started, and he still would take one full tablet, 10 mg, I think . And, in his case, he would have to take the tablet around 7 pm in order for him to go to sleep at 8:30. And the meds would work immediately.

Trazodone is one of those meds where doctors tend to start you on the lowest possible dosage, so it would be a good idea to contact your doctor and let him know that the dosage is not the right dosage for you.

Sending lots of healing s your way. As a chronic insomniac, I know just how awful lack of sleep is. Hope you find a way to Morpheus' arms soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 08:47 PM

I have been on Trazadone for 2 years now for the problem of not being able to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Trazadone worked for me the first night I started it.

I started on 200mg and dropped it to 100mg about 6 months ago. I was feeling too tired in the mornings.

I take it at night 1/2 hour to an 1 hour before bed with a lite snack.

Trazadone last 12 hours in your body. The earlier you take it at night and go to bed, the less tired you will feel in the morning.

Works good for me.

Good Luck
Unread 11-05-2003, 09:45 PM

I used Trazodone for a little bit last year for insomnia which was ultimately related to not getting enough estrogen. For me it took about two weeks to work, I think.... that is, I wasn't sure if it was working or not, and then at about two weeks it occured to me that hey, yeah, I was sleeping! I stopped taking it and never have taken it again.

I took the 50mg dose. I think if I had taken a higher dose it might have worked more quickly but I was leery of increasing it... after all I was trying it because I'd been given Ambien at the ER and DIDN'T want to take that. My goal was to get off the prescription sleep meds... my DR told me Trazodone is a good 'bridge' med to use to retrain yourself to sleep properly and that it should work within a few weeks, and ultimately I shouldn't need it anymore. That's just how it went for me.

This year I started having a slight problem with getting to sleep again. I'm in the middle of testing right now but the thought is that it's my cortisol levels that are messed up. Anyway I've found that if I take 100mg of 5-HTP (OTC) morning and evening, I am able to get to sleep easily. I am not tired, and the challenge is getting myself to climb into bed, but once I get in there I do fall asleep within ten minutes most of the time, which is something I never did when I was younger.

It just goes to show, we are all different.

-Linda
Unread 11-06-2003, 08:24 AM

Hi everybody,
Thanks so much for your responses. I increased my dose of Trazodone last night from the ½ tablet of 50mg to 1 tablet. I still did not get to sleep for about 3 hours and woke up this morning feeling groggy and extremely nauseous. I think from some of your responses that I might be taking the pill too close to bedtime. I have been taking it actually ½ hr. before or even less than that. Tonight I will take it about 1 ½ before bedtime. I am not liking to have to take it with a snack since I am a strong believer in “nothing” to eat at least 2 hrs. before bed. But I will definitely take it with food if it helps the insomnia!!!
I am going to try the Trazodone a few more nights. If it does not work, I will try Surferbabe’s suggestion of taking 5-HTP “twice a day.” I have previously tried 50mg 5-HTP one tablet before bed. That did not work though. Again, thanks everyone for your answers. I think this website is just the greatest.
Unread 11-06-2003, 05:50 PM

(((Renate)))) I hope that the new dosage and new approach to taking Trazodone will help. If you do not want to eat before bed, but still have problems with nausea, a good alternative is to take the meds with a glass of milk: might even help to relax you
Unread 11-07-2003, 07:22 AM
sleep & trazadone

Hello,
Just try to work with your medical team. Like second opions. I still don't sleep and am on 200mg. a nite. Look into what you eat and drink 3-4 hours before bed.
I use relaxation cd's,
herbal teas, cocoa. And being in my dh arms.
good luck
Unread 11-07-2003, 07:58 AM

Hi Renate,

I have been on Trazadone for about 4 months. I was taking Ambien but that stopped working and I hated the way it made me feel. The Trazadone did work almost immediatly. I take 50mg before bead. Try the milk it does work for me. I also eat one piece of whole wheat bread. I take it about 1 hour prior to bed.

Hope this helps.
Unread 12-15-2003, 01:01 PM

Well the trazadone no longer works since my hyst. I am suffering with insomnia BAD. I am working on an hour sleep right now. I can't even take a nap, I have tried laying down 10 times so far today but nothing. This is the worst so far. So my thinking is ok I have got to sleep tonight. Sleep like a baby. Could it be possible? I try drinking chamamiele tea, relaxing CDs. I am not taking HRT. I am sure this is probably do to lack of estrogen. I tried taking black cohosh but I swear when I take it, my hot flashes come more often and severe. So what is a woman to do? Labido is just fine. I am counting down the days til I get the green light. Outersex proved very successfull. I was thinking about getting my Ambien refiled, but I hated that stuff. I tried restoril. I called Dr and will talk to him tomorrow. I think I am going to ask for the vaginal estrogen and see what that does for me.

One good thing that comes from my insomnia. A lot more people get prayed for. That is how I spend my insomnia time. So that is great.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register