New to Pain Management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Pain Management New to Pain Management

Unread 11-05-2003, 05:33 PM
New to Pain Management

I haven't been here for a while. I guess because I felt I was whinning too much or something.

But I must say it was nice on the day I pop in to find the post about pain management.
I just started going last week.
The new dr had me try Neurontin. But I had to stop it after 3 days.
It works the opposite of what she told me.
It didn't touch the pain and it gave my anxiety. By day three I was not sleeping but 20-40 mins at a time.

I guess I should explain a few things.
I had my sugery(total) March 18th. June 1st I stopped HRT because of the feet swelling and pain.

After all this time I was in tears at my GP telling her to do a MRI because I couldn't handle the foot pain anymore.(This after weekly visits to her and a foot Dr and doing physical therapy)

Well after my MRI, we discovered I was mis Dx with the plantar fa****is. What I really was dealing with was multilevel ostiarthritis, degenerative disk disease and a synovial cyst on my spine.

I am told this could be the reason of all my pelvic pain and it is even linked to UTI's and blood in the urine!!
I have been trying to get the blood in the urine issue settled for a year now. This is why I got my LAP done that found the endo and ando!!

I am still in shock by this information.

As for the pain management clinic...
I told her the only relief I have been getting is from the Percet.
But I was honest. I told her it doesn't take the pain away but makes me "happy" enough to keep from crying at work from the pain. I told her I understood how addictive it can be and that I only take it when the pain is real bad(which is normally on the days I work)

She was very nice and even understanding(even when I told her the Neurontin failed) So I started the first of 3 cortizone epidurals.

Another fact I now am facing is I need to find a new job after 18 years with the same company. I work grocery and it is hard physical work. So I am again in a state of "How am I supposed to change jobs in a bad market?"

But I know I can't do another 25 years in grocery.

I still have a strange pelvic pain and this new Dr trys to tell me it can be linked to my back issues. Which sure makes sence now.

??

I guess I too needed to vent to those who are also going through this.

Thanks for letting me vent.

This is also a note to those who suffer, not to give up.
There is a reason for everything...we just have to learn what it is so the Dr's will help us.

It is NOT all in our heads!!

Hugs,
Patty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 07:20 PM
New to Pain Management

Hi ((((Patty)))) I'm so sorry you've been having so much pain As I sit here, with my left leg up in the air because the arthritic pain is so bad in my left ankle, I know just how frustrating... an life-limiting, this kind of pain can be.

Yes, arthritis is liked to a whole lot of symptoms, including IBS and Chronic Fatigue. And finding the right med combination can be a challenge. For me, I've been taking Celebrex and it's been quite effective at managing the pain (I ran out and didn't refill my script, as things had improved over the summer). For break-through pain, I will take two pills: one in the morning and one in the evening... and, on those really bad days, I take two in the evening.

Sounds like you have a good, caring and thorough doctor and, hopefully, she'll be able to find the combination that will work for you.

Unread 11-06-2003, 09:14 AM
New to Pain Management

Hi ((Patty)),
I'm soo glad you decided to post Pls don't ever feel whiney....were else can we let all this out amongst a group of understanding gals who have been there. Whine/vent similar & what we do a lot of It helps to get it out!

I've been doing Pain Mgmt for 3.5 yrs. It's been a lifesaver for me. Yes, I still have pain but it's not soo bad it is all I can think of!!
Addiction & Dependence are 2 very different things. When pain meds are taken for true pain the chance for addiction is less than 2%...it's when people don't suffer pain but continue to crave the meds b/c of an addictive personality they suffer.
Dependence is hat occurs from taking meds over an extended time & your body becomes dependent on them. This may occur w/ Insulin, laxatives, various heart meds, anxiety pills, antidepressants. Instead of stopping any others abruptly, our Drs. wean us from them as to not cause other, potentially dangerous side-effects.
Chronic Pain left untreated can wreak havoc on you mind & physical well-being. Pain is a condition w/ in itself & deserves to be treated adequately. Any *Good* Pain Mgmt DR knows these things & understands the difference between addiction & dependence. You, by law, have the right to have you pain treated sufficiently by your treating Dr. Here are some links on Pain Mgmt along w/ your rights to relief:

Cycles of chronic pain:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...D93520683A2235

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...E1813E8&locID=

What is the likelihood of addiction to pain medications?

Quote:
People need to understand that there is a big difference between physical dependence and addiction. Dependence and tolerance are natural reactions of your body to the drug, while addiction is a psychiatric and behavioral problem. When taken as prescribed for pain, opioid medications do not cause addiction. Nevertheless, addiction can be a devastating problem, and it’s a possible risk if people take their medications in ways that aren’t prescribed. In addition, those who have a prior history of substance abuse or addiction need to be very open and tell their doctor about that because they’re at a higher risk of addiction.
Unknown causes of chronic pain:
  Quote:
Pain may cause you to cut back on your activities and social interactions, which can lead to loss of physical stamina and increased isolation. This combination of events can lead to depression. A vicious circle results when physical, social and emotional deterioration leads to more pain.

You can learn to manage the pain so that it's not the main focus of your attention. This will help you concentrate on things that give you pleasure or satisfaction and help you break the bad cycles.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...3F36624DDBEDBF
CHronic Pain & getting relief:
http://www.paintechnology.com/
http://www.familydoctor.org/handouts/551.html

Pain: The Controversy Surrounding Chronic Pain and Opioids: http://www.fibromyalgiasupport.com/...cle.cfm/id/4073

Pain and the Law:
http://www.painfoundation.org/page.a...e_links.htm#35

Promoting Pain Relief and PreventingAbuse of Pain Medications:A Critical Balance:
http://www.painfoundation.org/page.a...=page_news.htm

National Foundation for the Treatment of Pain:
http://www.paincare.org/index.html

State Medical Boards: Opioid Therapy Guidelines:
http://painlinks.org/guidelines.html#ppsg

There is some great info up there...becoming aware of your rights empowers you to recieve the treatment & relief you deserve

I also wanted to touch on the lingering back pain you experienced Post-Hyst. This has been a huge source of problems for me over the yrs. Here's an excerpt from an article that describes it better:

Quote:
Historically, the cervix has always been removed along with the uterus when a hysterectomy was performed. We have become more aware lately of the importance of the cervix and thus the importance of leaving it, if it is not diseased. The cervix is a piece of thick connective tissue lined by glands and is attached to many ligaments in the pelvis. It is, therefore, important to the support system of the pelvis. It also seems to have a role in sexual function. We find that the dissection necessary to remove the cervix is responsible for post-operative back pain that women who leave their cervix do not complain of.

http://www.drwilsonobgyn.com/surgery/
Good Luck ((Patty))...I hope you will continue to post & keep us posted on how things are going....(((hugs))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2003, 09:46 AM
Pelvic Pain

Pattyann,
I'm so sorry you're still having pain. don't give up. I'm not! After 12 surgeries now,three after total hyst.(5/02). I still have pelvic pain and back pain that goes down the legs, the groin and feet.
I also see a Physiatrist (not psychiatrist) for back pain. Last week he tried Procaine injections in the low back. I couldn't tell any difference until the next day. Not only did my back and leg pain completely disappear, but about 90% of the PELVIC PAIN!!! I felt like a new person!!!Like my old self. doing yardwork, painting, starting projects,etc....But, it wore off in 4 days and the nurse says I can only have the injections every 6 weeks........BBBOoo!
I'll talk to the dr. next time about other alternatives. I hear there are some injections you can get more often...
The back Doc and my chiropractor say there are muscles in the back that also wrap around to the pelvis that can cause pain there. I NOW believe it!!!
As for your leg swelling, you may want to talk to your dr. about adjusting the hormones, I had the same problem after surgery(s).
TIME and hormone adjustment took care of mine.

Never Give Up!

Hope you get relief.
Take care, Lisa
Unread 11-08-2003, 08:59 PM
New to Pain Management

Thank you so much!!

I will spend time reading on those links.

Sad thing is they took the cervix out and I am not on HRT.
I don't have flashes,sweats or mood swings.
But I do find when I get mad or upset, it is harder to stay in control. The pain meds have actually numbed that part.
But for how long?....?

As I sit here my RT foot is cramping and my toes are trying to curl.
Not fun.

((HUGS))
Patty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register