IBS Question... (not sure where to post) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IBS Question... (not sure where to post) IBS Question... (not sure where to post)

Unread 11-05-2003, 07:18 PM
IBS Question... (not sure where to post)

As some of you know it looks like I may have IBS. I will not find out the results of my colon biopsies, blood work & stool samples from my colonoscopy last week until 11/25.

I started the fiber on Friday and it seems to be helping some what. I had have had two mornings where I only went twice, this morning was not so good I went 4 times & 3 more times durring the day. How long should it take if it is IBS for the fiber to help?

I have also read that some foods can make IBS worce, can anyone suggest what foods to avoid? I am kind of afraid to eat anything because I don't know if it is going to keep me in the bathroom. I also have PCOS and need to watch the carbs because my GYN says I am at greater risk for diabetes (sp).

I also have another question. This hard for me to ask, but does IBS make it hard for the stools to come out? I am in no means constipated I just feel like I can't always push them out. Like my muscles don't want to work, it's like it gets torwards the end and I cant get it out the rest of the way but trust me I have to go and I am no means constipated the stool is very soft. It's hard to explain.

I greatly appreciate all my sisters support, I don't know how I would make it without you all!

Sweety Tweety
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 07:32 PM

Hi there (((sweetie)))) so sorry you've been having such a hard time

I'm wondering why you're using fiber to help with diarrhea? I have IBS and am dealing with the vicious cycle of constipation/diarrhea. When I'm constipated, I will increase my fiber intake, in order to try and get my bowels moving. However, when I'm comfronted with diarrhea, I try and avoid fiber and will opt for the BRAT diet: Banana, Rice, Apple and Toast.

One thing that will help in both cases, is to drink water: water will work with the fiber to keep bowels moving and you need to up your fluid intake when you have diarrhea, in order to avoid dehydration.

As far as trigers are concerned, different people tend to have different triggers My main triggers are: the cabbage family, stress, new meds, the weather, changes in my schedule (like moving the clock back). Also, dramatic changes to my diet will likely cause a flare up.

One of the best tips I've received over the years, is to journal my symptoms. Since I know that my symptoms are affected by what I eat, I also journal what I eat. You might want to do this, in order to help you identify your triggers.

Sending lots of s your way and hopping that you're feeling better soon.
Unread 11-05-2003, 08:31 PM

Poor Sweety Tweety!

I know just what you are going through! Your symptoms sound just like mine. As you probaby have been told, everyone has different symptoms with this syndrome. Danny is right, you should keep a journal. Since IBS can be triggered not only by what you eat, but also by certain types of stress in your life, it is a good idea to keep track of what is going on. My IBS symptoms are usually triggered by emotional stress. What happens with me is I will have something or a string of things that are emotionally upsetting occur and usually within 2 days of that episode I begin having symptoms. My symptoms usually start with constapation, bloating, and painful/nausiating gas. when it peaks or it gets really bad, I will get sick and throw up. That is usually followed by diarrhea that lasts for days or weeks with occasional constipation. The ONLY thing that works for me is to take fiber, like Metamucel with every meal. I once stayed on it for nearly a year because of the emotional trama I was going through. Fiber, as you have probably been told, adds bulk to your stool and helps to keep it uniform. It is great for both constipation and diarrhea. Some people with IBS have resolved themselves to just take the fiber every day as a maintenance, and adding more if they feel like they need to. The fiber will make you have more frequent BM's. The goal, however, is to try to make them a uniform consistency.....sounds gross, hu? It may take a while to get things back to normal. I know it took me a couple of months to get back on track again.

As far a food goes, I am sure everyone is different. One food that is the biggest trigger for me, and for other sufferers I have talked to is Pizza. It doesn't matter what kind for me, but I have noticed the more I eat, the worse my episode is. I love pizza so much that it kills me not to eat it, but I really do try to stay away from it now. I have found that sticking to a low-carb diet is the best way to eat for me. Also, soft cheeses seem to be a no no for me too, as well as too much iceburg lettuce. Foods that cause a lot of gas can be problematic for some sufferers, but for me, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are just fine. Keep a food journal. If foods are your triggers, you'll be finding out which ones to stay away from in no time.......

Has your Dr. checked for Diverticulitis? This disease can cause you to have frequent BM's too. The reason I asked is because of your description of feeling like you need to go, but not being able to push it out, even though you are not constipated. I also have this sensation, and often I am unable to go normally until I actually can't hold it in any longer. In me it is IBS, but I also know that this is a symptom of Diverticulitis.

Good luck with this. It is a pain in the you know what (pun intended), but you can manage it, it just takes a little patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 09:33 PM

Hi, Kimberly!!!!! I agree with everything that Dany and Val have said. Everyone is different but here are some guidelines I have found helpful:

Learn stress management to lessen stress and anxiety in your life.

Drink eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day.

Alcohol makes IBS worse.

Select your foods carefully......a journal is a good idea. Don't eliminate a food because it appears to cause symptoms. Be sure that food produces symptoms on several occasions before giving it up.

In clude high fiber foods along with your fiber supplements such as whole grains, fruits like figs, peaches pears prunes and strawberries, nuts especially almonds and walnuts, veggies and beans.

Eat less fat.

Eat smaller meals and smaller portions.

Hope this helps hun.

Emily s
Unread 11-06-2003, 07:14 AM

Another thing is colas dont drink them(caffeine free is better) my dd has IBS and she is only 15yrs old. The gastro guy says stress, hereditry, certain foods(which she is already on a diet for hypoglycemia)so that is not her problem there. Levbid works great for her. Since her doc says there is no specific test that will show ibs, he cant reccomend anything right now. angie
Unread 11-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Colitis and IBS too

Hi there,

I've got the lovely IBS and colitis too (colitis was Dx by colonoscopy biopsy - IBS was Dx sort of by default, based on symptoms - painful spasms, etc). My dr's say that everyone's system is different, but that often caffeine and sugar are irritants. I went totally off refined sugar (a special diet called the Specific Carb Diet) and did a bit better - I also lost weight which was a super side effect - but my everyday diarrhea never went totally away. I do like to eat sugar (and occasionally drink booze) when stressed, even though I know it's not smart!

I'm 2 weeks post op from my TAH and am hoping that some of my "gut" symptoms (pain and diarrhea) will be better now that the hyst. is over. I read here in past posts that some women with IBS had a better time of it after their hysterectomies. As if we don't have enough trouble going on "in there!"

Take care,
Michelle & Herd (happydog)
Unread 11-08-2003, 01:38 PM

I have suffered with IBS since I was 19, and it coinsided with when I cycled!!! It was definately hormone related. I also had ENDO/PCOS. There is a doctor doing a study showing the coorelation between IBS/ENDO/PCOS. I have also heard from some one here before that CALTRATE helps to control IBS!!! I am fixing to start it and see. I had not had probs. with IBS for the last 2 yrs. (I wasn't cycling either). Now, 5 weeks post-op, I am about to resolve to the idea that IBS has made a VISCIOUS return!!!! I started with MAJOR CONSTIPATION.....for the first two weeks post-op I suffered and FINALLY got going. but then started my HRT and every since that time, I have diarrhea......yellowish liq., like from a bowel prep., without the prep. I am not sure what is going on. I am planning to talk to my doc. at my appt. next Thurs. I just have not called for that one. I have had to contact them for so many other complications that this seemed minor!!!! I also had wandered if it was caused from the antibiotics I have had to take for inc.infection and bladder infection. I also have a hematoma that is sitting at the vaginal vault, where the uterus was and also along the bowel, so who knows!!! They had to do a LOT of freeing up of endo./adhesions along the bowel,bladder.....everywhere, so that may still be some of my problem. I just have about decided it is just something to have to live with!!!!!!

Ronda
Unread 11-09-2003, 08:09 AM
AN IBS miracle

Ditto what everyone has said. I've had IBS (diarrhea predominant) for 14 years. got terrible flares during my period--had to leave work lots of times.

Everyone with diarrhea IBS needs to try Calcium . I learned about this from an IBS support group on the 'net.

I used Caltrate Plus D, and take one pill before each meal. It took 4-5 days before it took effect. The supplemental calcium reduced my symptoms by a good 80%. i could live ( and eat) normally, except for really bad trigger foods (hot wings). As long as I keep up the calcium the IBS is controlled. When i go off the calcium it comes back.

Fiber: I could never take the amount of fiber recommended on the bottle. I got severe constipation and intense bowel pain, almost like a blockage. It was horrible. So, i just started with a TEASPOON of Metamucil and worked up to ONE tablespoonn every other day.
You have to experiement to see how your own gut reacts. If you have diarrha IBS, some kinds of fiber can be like eating powdered glass!!!!
Since the TAH, my IBS had improved greatly!!! no more week long flares due to period!

Do try the calcium, IBS sisters.

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 11-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Re: AN IBS miracle

Quote:
Everyone with diarrhea IBS needs to try Calcium .
Calcium can be constipating and that may be why you have seen a decrease in your IBS diarrhea symptoms. I would urge all sisters with IBS to keep a food diary and consult with your doctor and find what works best for you. I know alot of doctors push the fiber thing and for me I have found out the hard way that fiber is a IBS symptoms can vary so much from person to person that I don't think there is ONE cure all.

Fluffy, I am so glad that you have found something to help with your IBS symptoms.

Unread 11-09-2003, 04:55 PM

Reading this thread, I've realized just how different IBS symptoms are from one person to the other.

As I stated earlier, where I'm concern, I can only take fiber, in moderation, when I'm going through the constipation cycle of IBS. When I'm dealing with diarrhea, I can't touch the fiber.

I have also to be very careful where calcium us concerned. Depending on what form it comes in, it can either be constipating or can end up loosening my bowels.

That's why journaling my symptoms, along with what I eat and what I've been doing, is so important for me. I also make sure to take a look at the weather, since drastic wheater changes can also cause mayhem with my system. Stress and phases of my cycles can also have a big impact (I only get the bowel spasms when I'm in the PMS portion of my cycle).

(((Sisters)))) I'm so sorry that so many are dealing with this condition. Fluffy, I'm so happy you found something that works for you and hope that others do too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register