Has anyone used Aldara to treat a keloid surgery scar? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone used Aldara to treat a keloid surgery scar? Has anyone used Aldara to treat a keloid surgery scar?

Unread 11-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Has anyone used Aldara to treat a keloid surgery scar?

Hi ladies! I hope everyone is having a great day today (yes, I do know where I am posting but I can dream can't I?)

Yesterday I went to my internist for an annual checkup. After a year and a half on HRT she is running every test imaginable to make sure everything is A-OK: complete metabolic panel, thyroid including thyroid antibodies, E1-2-3, progesterone, free & total testosterone, cortisol (had to convince her of that one), glucose, lipid panel, blood count, the list goes on... plus I will be getting a DEXA scan and a mammogram.

The interesting part of the visit, though, was that she introduced me to her partner, who also happens to be her dad and a first rate plastic surgeon. I had been complaining to her about the huge scar from my colon surgery 7 months ago... it's red and angry, sore and itchy all the time (keloid). She had him take a look at it.

I had already used Vitamin E cream and the silicone sheets on it for several months with very little if any improvement. I had previously been told that the next step was to try cortisone injections in the scar... a series of them, which my DRs all told me would be very painful, not just when I got them but for days afterwards.

Well this plastic surgeon said there is a new cream we can try... called Aldara. Apparently it is only approved for use on -- get this one -- VAGINAL WARTS? -- but somehow somebody discovered that it can help quite a lot with reducing keloid scars, both in appearance and the itching/burning feelings. It is an immuno-suppressor and works by telling the tissues to stop trying to attack themselves!

So, my DR wrote me a script and I have to use it for several months, 3 times a week and see if that helps before having to resort to the injections (which this plastic surgeon also said is my last option and quite a painful one at that. I told him, "Pain? I have had two huge vaginal deliveries, a hysterectomy with A&P repairs and most of my colon removed, how bad can it be?").

So I take the script to the drugstore to get it filled, and the interesting part begins. Turns out it only comes in these tiny single use packets designed to treat maybe a couple of warts, not a foot long by half inch wide scar. There are 12 packets in a box, and the box retails for around $159 I do have drug coverage so my copay is $30 per box, but that box will only last me four weeks assuming I can get one of those tiny packets to cover my scar. Using that for several months could get expensive! And I am unable to find any info online about how helpful it is for others with similar types of scarring.

So... has anyone used Aldara for a keloid? Any experience with it at all? Thanks for any info you all might have.

-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2003, 06:52 PM

Hi (((Linda))) I didn't have an incision, so do not have a keloid scar, however, I did do a search, and found a few references to using Aldara to treat keloid scars. Here they are, hope they help:

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic205.htm
http://www.resderm.com/cosmeticthera...management.htm

This one even has instructions http://www.healthyskin.md/aldara.htm
Unread 11-12-2003, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the helpful info (((Dany))). One thing that worries me is that most of what I find seems to suggest using the Aldara right from day one post op rather than farther out as I am, so I wonder if it's too late for me to see good results?

I've used it three times so far, and I have to say the itching and soreness is definitely decreasing. I can't see any lightening but it's still very early yet. But at least I'm not constantly bugged by my pants rubbing against my incision now!

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2003, 05:00 PM

(((Linda)))) I'm so happy that the Aldara is helping... hopefully, it's not too late. Could be that it's best to use it immediately after surgery, but that later will only mean that it might be less effective or take a little longer
Unread 11-13-2003, 05:27 PM

Dear Linda,
I hope the Aldara helps... even if it is a little later than they suggest.

That is the one thing my body seems to do right.... my scars from all my surgeries are almost invisible unless you really search for them. I also only have one tiny stretch mark (about 1 inch) from pregnancy so I feel fortunate that at least my abdominal skin behaves.

I hope you start feeling more comfortable soon.

Sarah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register