when to go back to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when to go back to work when to go back to work

Unread 11-06-2003, 01:47 PM
when to go back to work

I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on 12/16 and have put in for 3 weeks total leave and 3 weeks flex. I'm hoping to work in the office for a couple hours a day, from home for a couple of hours, and be on leave for 3-4 hours a day. Is this out of the ordanairy? I'm jealous of those of you taking 6 and 7 weeks off, but I'll be LWOP I just don't see how I could afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2003, 02:00 PM
when to go back to work

Dear Confetti,
I had a TAH, and I know that I was pretty wiped out, even at three weeks.

what kind of work do you do?? you could find that sitting for several hours a day will be uncomfortable.

I would suggest that the more hours you can manage to put in at home, where you can take breaks, the better.

what about travel time? how would you go to the office? how long would it take?

In my opinion, yes, it will be difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.
However, if you really don't have any choice, financially, then you will have to find a way to manage the situation as best as possible.

can you give a bit more info and we'll see if we can make some more concrete suggestions?
Unread 11-06-2003, 09:02 PM
back to work

I'm a program coordinator for a medical training program. I mainly sit at a computer and telephone and make files and files of paper! I can get up and move around, plus I can probably lay on the floor in a conference room if it gets really bad.

Transportation - it's about 30 minutes by car and I have a driver at least one way. I'd probably have to take a bus home after the first week or so when my partner has to resume full-time work.

So far they seem pretty flexible, I just want to stay realistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2003, 11:44 PM
when to go back to work

Hi.

Today was my first day back to work and my 5 week aniversary. 3 hours into my shift I was miserable. At 5 hours I took a Loratab. I'm lucky in that Loratab works for me and doesn't make me dopey.

I wasn't ready for this at 4 weeks. If your job is flexible perhaps you can change your plans if you need to. I used LWOP for my last 8 days so I was motivated to get back to work too.

Good Luck
Unread 11-07-2003, 05:35 AM
when to go back to work

Hi

I had a TAH/BSO. It was three weeks before had my first outing, that was to a post op DR apt, then DH took me to lunch. When I got home (and I was only out of the house for maybe 3 hours) I slept for the rest of the day, and the next day I was very tired and sore. I had to have naps every afternoon, almost up to 6 weeks, and after that if I did a lot I would need to rest in the afternoon. It takes a while to build your stamina up again, and you really need to take it slow.

Also at three weeks I was still kind of foggy, and having trouble concentrating. That's something else to keep in mind, how important is accuracy in your work?

I was cleared to drive at two weeks, didn't until three weeks, and that was just to pick up DH about 3 miles from home. I still felt kind of out of it, and didn't drive again for a couple more weeks, and then it was just very short trips.

Also, what time frame has your DR given you for returning to work? A lot of companies have to have a signed release from your DR saying that you can return to work, and also with any restrictions you may still be under.

Take as much time as you possibly can, because you will actually heal faster and better if you don't have to rush. But when you do go back make sure you can either leave early if you have to, or take a few more days off if that becomes necessary.

Best wishes!
Unread 11-07-2003, 01:33 PM
when to go back to work

At 3 weeks, I can't see how you're going to do it. The travel alone would be tiring. I went back to work half days at week 7, full days at week 8. I could have gone back to work half-days at 6 weeks, but took a little vacation to visit my daughter in Florida for a few days.

Even now (at 9 weeks), I am very tired by the end of the day. Not sleep, just exhausted. I hear that at 6 weeks you are just 40% healed inside.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register