laparoscopic hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

laparoscopic hysterectomy laparoscopic hysterectomy

Unread 11-06-2003, 04:34 PM
laparoscopic hysterectomy

hi all,
i am scheduled for a laparoscopic hysterectomy the 10 th of november, just around the corner!! ( they say this is much easier than an abdominal hysterctomy) although i am indeed anxious to have the surgery...........(the pain is unbearable, especially my right lower back which radiatus in to the buttocks, and down my hips, and leg like that of scatiac.) i am curious to know what am i in store for!!!! any and all responses are much appreaciated.

i guess i am most concerned about the pain factor. i would consider myself to have a high tolerance to pain, so i have been told many times. i had a c section with my twins and left the hospital (AMA) as soon as i could feel my legs!! my last surgery in march of this year where they took my left ovary and tube, i came home and grouted my living room floor. actually the gas i suffered in the next few weeks was worse than the actual surgery!!!!also, like most of you...i am sure.... am anticipating going crazy for 8 weeks by not be able to do anything. i think i have corvered everthing i should have done and still need to do before this monday. friday i have to be at the mayo clinic all day for the pre surgicial testing. thanks!! kellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2003, 05:35 PM

hi there! click the search button up there ^^ and type in LSH*
you need the * because you need 4 characters in the search line. you'll see a bunch of LSH threads. LSH is laparoscopic hysterectomy where you keep the cervix. I'm not sure what total LH would be. TLH?
Unread 11-06-2003, 05:42 PM
post lap hyster.

don't worry it's not bad at all. I have had 5 laps over the last 5 years for endo. so I had to have a hyster. last week, they took it all. it was not much different from the other laps. the first 3 days was bad as far as pain goes, but I had my surgey on 10-29 and I am going back to work this sat. 11-8. I am doing fine , just have to go slow at first. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2003, 06:50 PM

Hi Kellie,
I had a LAVH in July.My Dr. wanted to abdominal at first but agreed to to Lavh. I am so glad I went that route. I wanted the quicker recovery associated with this type of surgery. You sound alot like me. I don't like being out of commision for long. I can honestly say by 3-4 weeks i was feeling really good. The first few days we a little rough. Mostly getting in and out of bed and rolling over in bed. I just used lots of pillows. to prop myself. A must! I retained a lot of water afterwards which I was not prepared for, but after a couple of weeks it all went away. I guess everyone is different with post surgical water retention. All in all I must say it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I the big picture a couple of weeks of being sore is worth the reward in the long run. I am almost 4 months post-op and it is such a distant memory already. Just make sure you take it easy the first few weeks even if you think you are doing great. There is losts of helaing going on in there. I don't know how old you kids are, but if they are little you may want a little h elp for a couple of weeks . lifting toddlers would not be good. All in all for me personally a good experience. I wish you all the best and hope everything goes smoothly. Take care. Sandy
Unread 11-06-2003, 07:42 PM

Hey Kellie!

I am going to be having a LSH on 11/14 and did my pre-op yesterday. First I would like to tell you that there are several other people on this site that have had the LSH, I would read postings by CynthiaH, or Feistybabyblues, there are some others however I am unsure of their names.

Your question regarding pain management comes at a great time for my doc told me about a new procedure. You still have the general anesthesia, however, before surgery the anasthesiologist will place a spinal line/epidural that will allow for pain medication to be delivered to the area that has had the surgery. With this, you can still walk, you are not numb, but you have pain control directly to the areas that need it, this stays in until you go home, and then you will have some pain control from this for about another day, then you "should" only need a pain medication that is non-narcotic. My doc suggested Torodal, which I have taken for the edno pain in the past. This sounds just wonderful to me, and with this type of pain medication you are not drowsy so you can get up and walk around post-op.

The LSH seems to have a faster recovery time, although you should still be careful about overdoing it. I am told that I should be able to go home the day after the procedure, my doc says that If I get up and walk post-op and do not get an distended belly, I go home on post-op day 1, otherwise a second day is required. Bear in mind that I have said "SHOULD" everyone is different, and doctors also have different thoughts and ideas about patient care. some docs think it is best to lie about and rest others want you up and about post-op, see what your guy says.

Do not forget to ask about the bowel prep. This seems to vary also. I have to drink 3oz of Fleets phosprous soda, a extremely large jug of Gatoraid, and have clear liquids the day before, some dos have you do an enema, if you scoot around this site and read the different posts, you will get a well rounded idea of what to expect, these ladies are great with how they share, just remember, every patient and every doctor is different, and that not everyone is textbook.

Good luck and I hope that this helps.

Annie

Unread 11-07-2003, 10:54 AM

Can we back way up here??????

naydgo:

There are a couple different types of Laparascopic Hysterctomies.

Can you let us know if you are having a LAPARASCOPIC SUPRACERVICAL HYST (LSH) or a LAPARASCOPIC ASSISTED VAGINAL HYST (LAVH) ???

Will you be keeping your cervix, tubes or ovaries???

What is your diagnosis??

Im sorry youre feeling all that pain in to your legs....did they say what in particular is causing that??

Id be happy to talk to you about the LSH since I had that one myself....but I dont know much about the LAVH.
Unread 11-07-2003, 06:58 PM

Hi Kellie welcome to Hystersisters! I'm glad you found us.

I just wanted to let you know that in addition to the wonderful support available right here in Pre Op, we also have Resources forums (they are down near the bottom of the forums page) with tons of great information on all the types of surgery, hormone replacement, you name it, almost anything related to this surgery.

This thread in Resources contains a link to a great website with tons of pictures and information about all the different laparascopic and laparascopically assisted gynecological procedures, including LSH and LAVH:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=115852

Good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda
Unread 11-08-2003, 12:20 PM

hi fiestybabyblues,

backup you say!!!!!! lol
how far, thats the question???? its a long and exhausting story........like many of the other woman on here. sooooooooo, i will try and make it brief, but at the same time be thorough.

my diagnosis is endo. ( evidentilay had it for about 10 years, maybe more?!?!?)

i am having surgery at the mayo hospital this coming monday 11/10/03 @ 8 am. according to my surgeon (one of the best laproscopic/endo surgeons around) any/all surgery will be preformed via laproscope.
everthing will be removed ,including the cervix& appendix.possible repairs to the bladder , due to endo. as well as looking into the endo having invaded the scatiac nerve.( this is the supposed..reason for all my lower back pain which radiates into the buttocks around my hip, the back of my legs and shoots down my right leg) of course i have had x-rays of the lower lumbar, cortozine shots, chiropractic adjudgments blah blah blah done, none of which have helped!!)

basicaly, we will know the extent of damage that the endo has done only, after surgery.
it it not that uncommon for endo to have invaded the scatic nerve, as a matter of fact wile the most frequent complaint of endo is pelvic pain (btw, i have that to!! lol) low back pain radiating into the buttocks and upper thigh is not all that uncommon. studies have shown that endo can directly invade the sciatic nerve. ( which serves the leg) also, general pelvic inflamation and muscle spasm due to endo can cause sciatic -realated pain. hopfully i have made things a liitle more clear. any and all suggestions are much appreaciated!!! i am soooooooooooooooo glad i have found this site, only wish... i found it years ago. take care, and thanks. kellie
Unread 11-08-2003, 04:39 PM
about that gas

When I had the lap. surgery on my ovaries earlier this year that gas just about killed me. It was all in my shoulders and my neck and it ached for days. Since I'll have it again with my hyst. on the 12th I'm so wondering what all of you did to speed up that "release".

Thanks,
Shan
Unread 11-08-2003, 06:12 PM

nydago:

I see you live in Sierra Vista....I graduated from Buena there in 1982.....my condolences....HAHAH!!! Is that town still 3 miles long?? My first job ever was at that McD's on Fry Blvd...ugh.

So...what I meant was what kind of Lap surgery?? Is he removing all of this stuff through a morcellator?? Or is he using Lap tools to see what hes doing and removing it through the vagina?? That sounds like an awful lot of work to do completely through the morcellator. Did they give you the letters of the surgery like "LSH" or "LAVH"?? WHich MAYO are you going to? I dont recall one in AZ. I hope you dont have to travel too far to get home afterwards. I know Sierra Vista is wayyyyyyyyy down there.

HelloKittyMe:

Are you seeing the same doctor as last time?? If so, or even if not.....wink at him/her and ask them to spend a lil more time removing the gas. The only thing you can do is lay on your back to defuse the ache. If you sit up it all rises into your shoulders and neck into smaller confined areas making it ache more. I was lucky and barely felt any of it. Just lay flat on your back as much as possible the first couple days. No GasX type products will help since those are designed for intestinal gas...not the CO2 from Laps. Just time and laying on the back help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register