Help! Can anyone help me with these test results?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!  Can anyone help me with these test results?! Help! Can anyone help me with these test results?!

Unread 10-04-2000, 05:57 PM
Help! Can anyone help me with these test results?!

Just got my blood work results back from my annual gyn. exam. She did a pretty full workup since this was my first annual visit since my TAH/BSO on 2-22-00 for Stage IV endo.

I'm not versed in hormone levels, so I could use some help from those here in the know while I wait for my compounding pharmacist to get together with my gyn. and call me back.

I am currently taking Tri-Est (2.0 mg.), compounded with progesterone (100 mg.) and testosterone (1.0 mg.) into one capsule which I take twice daily.

My testosterone level was 90, which the nurse noted on the letter as "elevated". My FSH level was 37.7, which I know from my days of trying to conceive is extremely high. The nurse indicated this meant not enough estrogen. Does anyone know if my dosages above are on the low side for a 40 year old? I was rather surprised that my FSH level was menopausal with the NHRT. Unfortunately they did not test progesterone levels, but how might increasing my Tri-Est dosage affect my progesterone requirements?

While I'm asking, perhaps someone could also tell me about these other test results (all indicated as "normal", but that doesn't tell me a whole lot). I know very little about cholesterol levels either.

Glucose - 88

Cholesterol - 146 Total

HDL - 49

LDL - 80

Triglycerides - 85

Mammogram and pap smear were normal, thank goodness, so now all that remains is going for my bone density test later this month.

I would appreciate any input, particularly on the testosterone levels and the FSH levels. Could the FSH levels indicate a low enough estrogen level to be causing the vaginal dryness I have been experiencing, and the sad LACK of libido that even the testosterone they added 2 months ago hasn't helped?

Lauren, if you read this, could you give me some input?

Lisa B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2000, 07:07 PM

Hey, I don't know about hormone levels - I am at the early learning curve on that, but your glucose, cholestoral and trigliserides all look great! Best of luck leveling off on those hormones. I hope you find a balance soon!
Syd
Unread 10-05-2000, 12:33 AM

Lisa-
I'm not much help on your hormone levels but I wanted to mention that I had a low libido too post op. Ok... It was nonexistant. But I tried Testosterone and it did not give me a libido. The only thing that did- was doubling my dose of estrogen and using first the progesterone cream...and then later I switched to oral progesterone 100 mgs.
My doc told me that the dose of estrogen that we get in HRT is 100 times lower than the dose our bodies produced pre-op!! Therefore- I reasoned that doubling my dose of Estrogen would not be harmful to me and it has improved my hot flashes and libdio problems. One of these other ladies can correct me if I'm wrong on that.
You might try this link for a few normal hormone level ranges:
http://www.onna.org/information/hormonelevels.html
Good luck
TAH/BSO 3/7/00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2000, 12:13 PM
test results

LISA, A NORMAL TESTOSTERONE LEVEL FOR FEMALES IS 15-70. TOO MUCH AND YOU START GETTING FACIAL HAIR,DEEPER VOICE, ACNE, ETC. ALSO, ESTROGENS CAN INCREASE TESTOSTERONE LEVELS, SO IT'S A FINE BALANCE.
THE FSH NORMAL RANGE FOR POST-MENOPAUSAL WOMEN IS 19.3-100.6, SO YOU'RE RIGHT IN THERE. FSH STIMULATES THE OVARIES AND IF IT GETS NO RESPONSE,IT KEEPS SENDING OUT MORE, HENCE THE SURGE IN THE LEVEL. EVENTUALLY ALL THIS WORKS OUT AS YOUR BODY ADJUSTS.
THE REST OF THE LEVELS ARE FINE. IF THE HDL (GOOD CHOLESTEROL) LEVEL WERE HIGHER, IT WOULD GIVE YOU MORE HEART PROTECTION.
THERE'S A WHOLE INTER-RELATIONSHIP AMONG THE HORMONES THAT I HAVE A HARD TIME FOLLOWING. I HOPE THIS LITTLE BIT HELPS.
LISALI

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register