A question on "luck" or "superstition" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A question on "luck" or "superstition" A question on "luck" or "superstition"

Unread 11-11-2003, 10:15 AM
A question on "luck" or "superstition"

Well, this is a good board to ask it on. Do any of the rest of you (I'm confessing here) have good luck things or superstitions you work with since cancer? I'll lead off and confess. (My social worker/therapist says if they work for me, why not?) Susan (shullet2) who used to post here sent me a stuffed hippopotamus in a pink headband, earrings, and tutu, which I appropriately named Shullet. And this hippo goes with me for every blood draw, every checkup, every chemo. I feel as long as I have Shullet, I have everyone with me in spirit. Also, since the first time I had to buy shampoo (right after chemo ended the first time 9/01) I have never bought a whole bottle. I'm afraid it'll bring bad luck so I only buy small trial sizes of shampoo and conditioner. Now am I the only one like this out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2003, 10:47 AM

Hi Ellen

I am with you!! I have two tiny angel gadgets that were given to me by two dear, dear friends. One being Maria who was an old hostess on CC, and the other my roommate from nursing school.
These two angels gadgets are always with me.
I must say however, that I do buy the regular size shampoo bottles.

oxoxo karenann
Unread 11-11-2003, 02:47 PM

Count me in. I have an angel pin with an OVCA symbol on it. She goes to all appointments and treatments. I also keep her in my purse at all times when I'm not wearing it. The pin was given to me right after diagnosis.

I also feel that the minute my port is taken out, my cancer will come back and I'll need it. My gyne/onc prefers to leave them in for OVCA dx. So I'm keeping mine for as long as possible.

Interesting topic. Thanks.

Ruth S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2003, 03:27 PM

Hi Ruth

My gyn/onc agrees with you on the port issue. My port has been dormant for two years now. My doc feels it is bad luck to remove them. The only maintenance it requires is a flush every three months.

oxoxo karenann
Unread 11-11-2003, 03:34 PM

Hi Ellen...

Lets hope for nothing but GOOD news all the time, sooo go buy that big bottle of shampoo!!! LOL

Rosalie
Unread 11-11-2003, 07:04 PM

Ellen
don't feel silly, my daughter bought me a stuffed TY bunny in rainbow color's, when I had my TAH. I keep it in my car, it goes with me everywhere. Never thought about it until you post.
Andrea
Unread 11-12-2003, 07:15 AM
This is a great post!

I wear my husband's silver cross around my neck to everything. He just got me a beautiful one of my own, but I still wear his. I also took a little toy boat with me to chemo - after our minister did a sermon about Jesus being with you in your "boat" of life. And I left it once after a chemo session, and my nurse's kept it safe for me.

I buy the big bottle of shampoo. I have washed my bald head everyday with it, just as if I had hair!
Unread 11-12-2003, 09:57 AM

Interesting thoughts about the port. More to ponder.
I was thinking I need to get my port OUT. To me, leaving the port in is like expecting the cancer to still be there.
I have an Angel pin that comes with me.

Susan
Unread 11-12-2003, 10:33 AM

My Doctor has never said anything about the port coming out and i know it's because he expects the cancer to come back. Mine is in my upper arm. I forget it's there until I see the bulge, and sometimes miss my 6 week appt to have it flushed.
I am not suoerstitious but my husband is, Wehn the dr wanted to schedule my reversal surgert for Friday June 13 my husband saud " No Way", so I had it a week earlier, I do have a blessed rosary I always carry in my pocket and some blessed medals I wear, but I did this before cancer. For me they are reminders of my faith and if the love of the people who gave me these items.
I am afraid to sign up for any big trips, because the last twp trips I signed up for I ended in surgert=y instead.
\
Unread 11-12-2003, 07:51 PM

I don't have a "good luck" charm (other than God, who is always my good look charm) or a port. But I've enjoyed reading this thread! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register